Breaking Time Space Continium and Other Glitches

Discussion in 'Support!' started by greendiamond, July 1, 2013.

1. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

ok so i started a server with just me and a few ai's to test out the new sub physics and mess around with other things like teams. (note: i also realized that when entering a multiplayer per team game with an ai on your side will not spawn an ai on your side or otherwise.) i was in the middle of messing around with the some of the ships when i tried to see the range for the submarines but nothing i was trying was bringing up a range ring so i started to smash a bunch of buttons to try to get something to happen. when that unsurprisingly failed to work i decided to create an advance air factory to get an advanced air fab to create an advance radar tower, but when i told my air fab to make it, it just sat there and did nothing. i tried telling it to create a advance air factory again and i put the blue print around the same area as before but still nothing happened. i then noticed my sub started moving when i had not told it to do anything and went right back into the factory it came from and the factory started to "un-fabricate" it. i had no idea what was going on i thought that this was some feature id dint know about that i accidentally started when i was smashing buttons. then i realized it must have been the chrono-cam playing the recording in reverse. i opened the chrono-cam and told it to go back to real-time and this is what i saw.

[​IMG]

that would be two advance air factories stacked on top of each other they had very little of their progress bar completed. whats especially weird about this is that they where not just told to be made in real time, but a considerable amount of time in the past at the same time. the air fab i would have been using to create those factories was still landed in the same spot i saw it in the recording and remained there until i told it to move in real time. i destroyed the last ai and went into review game and reversed the footage to around where i would have been in real time, relative to the point i was looking at in the reversed footage, to see if i could see the fab make the factories sense i never saw it move. the recording only got as far as right after i commanded the fab to create the second advance air factory, at which point the game crashed. this was extremely hard to explain, but its clear that the concept of being able to create alternate realities in chrono-cam later in development is in development but can effect reality i potentially negative ways.

also this some what hilarious exploit in how much allowance ships are given to get back to water can really be used for some interesting feets.

[​IMG]

the advanced naval factory was placed in a pool that just barely fit it in and the large ships was basically dumped on land in its entirety. at this point i was able to move it although slowly pretty much anywhere. i didn't think of that fact at the time and just moved it to the other pool, but it is still another exploit that can be used before its patched.
  2. thereagan

thereagan New Member

yeah i don't know if the overlay factory is already submitted as bug, but there's people who can build entire dozens of factories in that way, saving a lot of space and creating entire zerg armies.

plus is ugly as hell watching it
  3. greendiamond

thats done by clicking too fast this can have some extremely weird consequences by going back in time and adding buildings that gets glitched to the future
  4. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Why are orders enabled when viewing the past?
  5. greendiamond

later in development you will be able to make fake simulations to see how a fight would have ended if you made different choices and then snap back to the future with nothing changed. but apparently if you try to do that right now weird timy wimy things happen.
  6. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

This is not a feature we've ever said we'd do. In fact every time someone has brought up something similar we've said no, we will not be doing this. You will not be able to alter a game in progress for "faked simulations". Going back in time is just a view back in time.

What we have said is you'll be able to play a new game from an arbitrary point within an existing replay. Think of replay files as a save game, except they can be restarted from any arbitrary point within the replay. At that point it is an entirely new game with it's own history and replay file, duplicating the starting history from the original replay.

Essentially there is only one simulation ever running, but you can have multiple views into the history. Even your default view is just another view of the game history, just as close to the current time as possible. What this means is there effectively is no real difference between the (near) current time and ChronoCam view apart from the UI, they're both giving orders from the past. It's currently only that UI change that prevents giving orders, but you can change / pause time without switching to ChronoCam. We can make the ChronoCam UI pop up if you change time using the shortcut keys, but someone could work around that by modifying the UI.

Really two things need to happen:
    * We need to have the concept of "near current time" spread to other systems, like allowing orders, rather than have it come just from the UI state.
    * We need to do more validation on the server, and give appropriate feedback to the player.

This is of course planned, but these kinds of features aren't usually implemented in the first pass of any system, or even the second or third passes. Usually you do several passes of features or tweaks to try to get functionality you want, then work on validation methods to prevent functionality you don't.
  7. greendiamond

i see, well then i guess it just boils down to the fact that making commands while viewing the past currently is a bad idea. unless of course your trying to cheat then it would be a good idea.
  8. arnick

arnick New Member

Well- If people are going to toy with that, they really should do it with integrity and the justification that they actually will record (by some means) and report it. Doing so with friends is the best way to test such. Then people won't be annoyed, expecting a game when you're testing features.
  9. greendiamond

thats why i did my with npcs