Arcade

Discussion in 'Support!' started by kingsmaug, June 29, 2013.

1. kingsmaug

kingsmaug Member

Fast question: Is there going to be something like the Battle.net Arcade for finding different custom games and mods?

If not, I think it would be a good idea, because one of my biggest problems with other games that have mods is that I never know how to install them or where to find them, etc. I like the Arcade because is has everything right there, and its pretty simple to use and find people to play with.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's what UberNet is, it'll be a fully featured/integrated Online Client.

Mike
  3. kingsmaug

kingsmaug Member

Well, for games with mods, I would think that it would be an obvious thing, but as far as I know, SC2 is the only one with a central user content database.
  4. KNight

Well In the PA Client-Server model, the Server handles everything so if a Server is running a mod any clients that join with get that Mod automatically.

That's the small scale stuff, large scale I'm sure UberNet will have some kind of repository like the GPGNet Vault of old times.

Mike
  5. kingsmaug

kingsmaug Member

Most excellent. ^^
  6. Ralith

Ralith Member

This isn't necessarily the case if a mod includes things like new models or GUI. Of course, Uber say they want to support modding very well, so perhaps they'll arrange automatic downloading of modded content like in UT2004.
  7. KNight

Automatically downloading is what I was talking actually.

Mike
  8. veta

veta Active Member

I think the centralization of the SC2 Arcade is actually a weakness not a strength. I preferred the P2P system in Brood War and WC3, I should be able to play a map even if it's shaped like a ****. That said, I think the crucial factor here will be a user-friendly albeit powerful campaign editor which makes amateur user content and the Arcade possible.

Takeaway: playing mods and custom scenarios should be easy and making mods and custom scenarios should be approachable for the user content community to thrive
  9. kingsmaug

kingsmaug Member

Then why not have both? If it isn't acceptable for community wide use, have a P2P system for accounts being used by adults?