Performance

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Dylex, June 30, 2013.

1. Dylex

Dylex New Member

Hi, as most of you know planetary annihilation eats at your computer (Not literally). Most of the time i'm getting 7-14 fps. Even on the planets with no details. What would be useful was a graphic setting that looked crap but gave better performance, it would be so much nicer to play. At this point early in the game i don't really care about graphics, i care more about the actual game i'm playing. It would be so useful because it's almost impossible to play.

oh, I don't have a terrible computer, its reasonable-ish.
    i have 4gb ram, i3 quad core 3.1g hz, nvidia 512mb graphics card.
    I know that isnt really good enough but its a big let down when i have paid a lot for early access but can't really play it.
  2. cursy

cursy New Member

I noticed that PA eats much RAM. I have 4GB, too. But it is not enough for me on Windows 7 x64. Windows already grabs 1,5GB and when RAM is like 3,3+ GB full, windows starts to move large parts from and to harddisc (swap file crap). This causes massive slowdowns.

And then there are the lags, which are caused by the server or the internet connection. I think RAM and connection to the server are the limiting parts.
  3. Nelec

Nelec Member

Interesting, in recent updates my performance in game has practically doubled fps, possibly because I also have the RAM to spare, 16gb.
  4. knox283

knox283 New Member

Even with an i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 780, it doesn't take long for my FPS to drop to 15 or lower.

In time the game will become more optimised and many of these problems will be fixed for lower end systems too.
  5. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

This game eats most of mu 660 ti's 2GB of memory. Even my 8GB of system RAM gets a little full. :shock: :shock:
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I say wait until beta before you start complaining about performance. They are still working on it (and read the patch notes).
  7. Ralith

Ralith Member

The virtual texturing stuff can probably use more or less however much memory you give it.

Which video card? Only telling us how much memory it has is like telling us how much RAM you have and expecting people to guess what your CPU is.
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Umm you can put your settings down to minimum....I'm scared of the fact I've got mine on minimum and it does eat up so much...
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

try to set them to max, you will see that it makes no big difference currently ;)
  10. zorknemesis

zorknemesis Active Member

I've got my settings fairly low, but I notice substantial frame drops on my end when I zoom out (where the units become icons) once the planet starts filling up. It's giving my 8GB RAM and i7 a strenuous workout, though I haven't actually taken a look at just how much. Worth noting that my video card (Nvidia GeForce GTX460) isn't top-of-the-line though, but it doesn't have too much issue until there's an army's worth of units in play.
  11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You can also try running PA.exe with the --nofeatures flag. This will turn off the display of trees and rocks.
  12. infuscoletum

Really? God damn it. And I thought I was being all cool n stuff running it on "UBER".

Virtual Shrinkage, it just happened :( :p :D
  13. Dylex

Dylex New Member

*Opens up speccy

NVIDIA GeForce 310

also my ram is around 660MHz, which is just awful.
  14. infuscoletum

all 1333 ram is, is it not?
  15. knox283

knox283 New Member

I love the people that say "I have an i3/i5/i7". That mean nothing to me. They could have a really old version that doesn't run all that good.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yes, when you talking about performance you need to say what exactly model of hardware you have. But I doubt that even latest Haswell have more than 25% higher performance than previous i* CPUs, so when we talk about performance it's not so much important.
  17. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

I do not have performance issues but I have noticed very high GPU memory usage over 2GB. I have dual nvidia 580 with 3GB each.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's not high for PA, game use texturing technique which can utilize large amount of VRAM.
  19. Dylex

Dylex New Member

Ok GUys, i will list my EXACT SPECS!

Here:
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
    Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07GHz 62 °C
    Clarkdale 32nm Technology

RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0C2KJT (CPU 1)

Graphics
    SAMSUNG (1360x768@60Hz)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 310 (Unknown) 59 °C

Hard Drives
    699GB Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C

Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7250H ATA Device

Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

It also includes the current temperature when running chrome, Skype and all dem background programs.

I used speccy for this.
  20. infuscoletum

Honestly, I don't see what the problem would be. Maybe upgrade your ram, and possibly upgrade the GPU to something in the 5 series (560/560ti are about 1/2 what the 660ti is, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get it to run).

Honestly, I'd see if it would work now, go upgrade the ram if needed, then test it out again.

One (slightly) OT question about the temp on this. What in the hell is with the 60+ temps I've seen in a couple of threads here? :shock: :shock: :shock: (Back in my day) temps like that would be setting of alarms all over the place! Mine currently runs around 35-40 MAX, even in 30ish ambient temps. :cool: I do have a pretty huge heatsink and a 140mm fan running at 1200rpm constantly :geek: , but damn! If mine ever got to 50 I'd be looking for the power switch :shock:

EDIT: my idle is usually 24-30 (28 right now cus of hot day, but still not as hot as it's gonna be)