PA Alpha Build: 50083

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, June 26, 2013.

1. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Oh, I get that. However, trees and rocks are static entities. I'm not rendering expert, but I do know that static entities can be rendered in a less intensive pipeline than dynamic ones, as things such as lighting and world-relative orientation change much less frequently than for a unit which can move around. It is obvious that rendering more entities is harder than rendering no entities at all. What is not obvious is that around 80% of my low FPS is due to static entities.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think actually everything in PA is dynamic. The planet moves after all. So everything on it constantly produces a different shadow.
  3. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu
    now the lag is fixed yaaay
  4. crazy987

crazy987 New Member

Keep em coming :D
  5. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Aye, however lighting due to the sun is very predictable. The lighting due to the sun can be approximated, as each model is lit by what amounts to a single point source which circles around it at a fixed rate. In theory it may even be possible to perform some kind of lighting/shadow texture "bake on" effect which is generated when the level loads, and isn't actively updated during runtime, except under specific conditions. Thus I would have thought that ambient light for static objects is an "on-rails" part of the simulation, without requiring as much processing power, and only requiring modification when a dynamic light-source is introduced. As this FPS slowdown occurs regardless of the number of apparent dynamic light sources (it occurs even if there is just the commander), then it seems an immutable fact that static entities just seem to draw a LOT of graphical power. Far more than I would have anticipated, from what limited experience I have.

Of course, there's lots of optimisation still to go, so it's not really a concern. Just a surprise.
  6. ghosteyez

ghosteyez Member

Lol, I jump in a solo game, I am on the ice snow planet and I don't do nothing.

100+ FPS while Zoom out
    Boom! 2 FPS zoom in real quick
    100+ once zoom in, looking at the commander
    100 to 30 while looking at the commander, its just jumping between the numbers.

Move about the world with the screen, the game struggles,
    Between,
    repeat lol

So, its clear I can run this game with 100+ FPS someone had done something on there own end to make my FPS be jumping like this. Its not my computer and that is for damn sure =)
  7. mithri1

mithri1 New Member

It's the virtual texturing code. They are working on it.
  8. cola_colin

I doubt that such specific optimizations are anywhere near in alpha ^^
  9. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Well, finally got to play the new build :mrgreen:

Usual framerate... until I get into battles. Then it hits 15-20, but jumps right back after everything's dead!

Got the planet holes bug.... and forgot to copy the console stuff. Anyone know if/where that log is kept?
  10. niezlomnypejczyk

niezlomnypejczyk New Member

No textures?

Attached Files:

11. cola_colin

Known bug since a while. Just play another game, it should not happen that often.
  12. teeo696

teeo696 New Member

I don't have the link for it, but the uber_launcher fixed this for me. I haven't re-tried the steam version since the latest patch, but I was having a lot of problems with the steam launcher.
  13. riuthamus

riuthamus New Member

The launcher does not work for me. After I updated today I can no longer play. The game does the pa.exe failure and then closes. I have opened the launcher over and over and yet it will not update further...

I am on windows 8 64 bit.

SIDENOTE: How do we activate this for steam? Or am i stuck with just using the launcher to update for now until the game is officially release?
  14. indy802

indy802 New Member

Hi
    I am getting the same pa.exe has stopped working on build 50083. Have tried reinstalling directX; have tried converting to Steam key; have tried deleting PA directory and reinstalling launcher which then re- downloaded game- have tried this a few times. Nothing has worked unfortunately. Hoping this is fixed on next build.

Running Win 7 32 bit. Looking through forums, it looks like it is also happening to 64 bit installs. So unlikely to be a 32 bit problem. As many people are still able to play current build, must be some combination of hardware / software that a few people have in common.

Anyway, thanks for everything so far...looking forward to playing someday :)
  15. mithri1

mithri1 New Member

16. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

One thing I get from this build: ALL of the framerates. ALL of them.

Like 10 -> 70. Pretty all inclusive.

And yet, I'm still even pretty amazed that my rig can handle it at all......
  17. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

My rig is far worse (in terms of processing power), and I get about the same framerate.

On an amd phenom x4 9750, with 8gb of ram and a GTX 580, I run at about 40 fps with the camera still, but the second i rotate the planet, it drops down to 5-15 fps.
  18. indy802

indy802 New Member