constructing metal points

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tlbcha7er8ox, June 27, 2013.

1. tlbcha7er8ox

tlbcha7er8ox New Member

my opinion on metal points is that i dont think that they should be the only place of construction for metal factory's... i think when you build a metal factory it should only work half way as good as one would on a metal point... an it takes away from the free build game type. If you guys are reading this plz make it happen... its a complete game changer when there are no metal points remotely close.... an if there were thats the only place you can put them. i am going to buy this game this friday... but plz dont make that change. let us build anywhere with metal factory's but at a cost. thank you.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No. Extractors being built only on Metal Spots makes for better gameplay, encouraging Expanding and more dynamic play.

Given the openness of the Modding Uber wants to support I'm sure there will be loads of Mods that change the economy in the same or similar manners to what you want.

Mike
  3. tlbcha7er8ox

tlbcha7er8ox New Member

i agree with the openness an all... i just would like to be able to build any structure anywhere (metal factory's)
  4. KNight

But that totally breaks the core gameplay, the Current Alpha is proof of that in of itself.

Mike
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

He is suggesting a 50% reduction in metal production when not on a metal spot - TA had a reduction also, but it was much more than 50% (I think they only produced 0.2 Metal on non-metal worlds).
  6. omega4

omega4 Member

Metal production should only occur on metal deposits (TA's methodology nonwithstanding). This creates a strategic element to the game where forces will fight over control of metal deposits.

This also means no metal makers.

As Knight said, unlimited metal production has led to mostly... boring videos of PA gameplay on YouTube.
  7. hixday93800

hixday93800 Member

In game i saw few spot or metal so we will be able to build 2 / 3 extractor ?
  8. KNight

As long as you can build more Extractors OFF metal spots than ON, it doesn't really matter in the end.

And doesn't change the fact its a poor mechanic in general.

Mike
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, I disagree heavily with this. In TA, a single metal extractor without a metal point would generate about +0.1 or +0.2 metal, yeah. I'm fine with that, because it would be an absolutely pointless investment to spam either Mohos or regular Extractors. You might as well build Metal Makers.

So yeah, go ahead and let players build metal extractors anywhere, so long as they produce an arbitrary amount of metal. And there's a snap-to-metal point option.
  10. omega4

omega4 Member

I hear what you're saying. I just think allowing players to build metal extractors off metal deposits will only end up confusing gamers who may end up thinking that the game is "broken".

Since the natural assumption of most gamers who are new to PA/TA/SCFA is to build metal extractors on metal deposits, why not just enforce it in the game.

I prefer to beat my opponents in good gameplay, not because he was silly enough to waste resources by building a lot of metal extractors off and away from metal deposits.

11. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

I don't see any harm in doing it the way it is done on TA. Minimal metal gained, slower animations; anyone can pick up on that. I did when I was five years old. Just throw in loading screen tips and a snap-to-deposit feature when you mouse over it. If it makes such a low amount of metal, spamming them will be far less effective than actually claiming mass points, but at least you have the option.

I think any opponent who actually does that probably isn't going to promise challenging competition, anyway.
  12. omega4

omega4 Member

My point exactly.

13. drbrackman

drbrackman New Member

providing the opportunity of building metal extractors anywhere would cause devastating problems. if the production rate of extractors off metal spots is too high, you only have to stupidly build up economy exponentially instead of focussing on battle strategies. if it is too low, it will only annoy you, when you built an extractor close to a metal spot, but not on it by mistake. (and by the way it will make it harder to understand for noobs.)
    there is no space in between. you have at least one of those problems.

(searching for a balanced very low rate may lead to sth similar like in supcom1: off built metal extractors would be similar to metal converters+power plants that are only minimally profitable after you have used all metal spots you can get. but to avoid the last two problems there would have to be be another building for that. but i think we don't need this. the risk of unlimited exponential economy may be too high or the building is not very usefull.)