PA Alpha Build: 50083

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, June 26, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah, we need a new cheese texture for metal spots on the moon.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

oh yes. cheese. Maybe we should rename the resource into cheese. A tank is worth 100 cheese then! Great idea :lol:
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I confirm, i used to be between 30/60 Fps with all previous builds and now i drop down to 15/5 FPS.

Just to confirm you're not the only one :p

From a technical perspective, Does it mean that coding the game to multiple platforms does not not allow to get the best possible performance on a specific platform ?
    Isn't it possible for critial path to maintain different code branches ? Too much cost ?
    Last edited: June 26, 2013
  4. niezlomnypejczyk

niezlomnypejczyk New Member

Yeah I have problem with my FPS too. Also I don't have textures on Moon and when I'm using zoom, textures on planet are in low quality.
  5. suketchi

suketchi Member

Yeah, and to this two new units named "Wallace" and "Gromit". :mrgreen:
  6. MajorCyto

MajorCyto New Member

I was also wondering this. Or can't you just let the resources run a little more free if it detects a 64bit installation so were not tied down by 32 bit restrictions.
  7. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Awesome this is the first build that's been playable on OSX for more than 5minutes for me. Looking good! Looks like I'll have a chance to try some multiplayer this weekend now I know i won't crash after 5mins!
  8. cola_colin

Gosh that performance problem is pretty bad. Playing at 2 fps is ... an interesting experience . I never liked Macs to begin with, but now they are even at fault for low fps on my machine :lol:

EDIT:
    Nothing against you, aeonsim, but your post is sooo evil. Can somebody lend me a mac please? :shock:
  9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Raevn was asleep. Getting right on it! :lol:

Bonus!
    • Air Scout Strategic Icon should now work
    • Updated Start Location indicators
    • Tactical Missile launcher now uses it's own missile model (used to use anti-nuke)
    • Placement sizes updated for metal extractor, land barrier, energy plant.

Balance Changes
    Air Defense Tower
    Projectile Turn Rate: 270 => 450
    Guard Radius: 170 => 120

AA Missile Vehicle (Spinner)
    Projectile Turn Rate: 360 => 450
    Guard Radius: 100 => 120

Modders
    See PA Modding Changes for a list of changes that affect mods.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

As for the perf, the real reason for the drop, while related to the Mac changes, is fixable. But when you refactor a system, you generally lose some of your optimizations. We just need to reoptimize now. I believe. Pinbender could correct this assumption.
  11. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

my performance very poor too lag terrible
    zooming in and out is not smooth either
    linux build still has mouse refresh issue which I think is an xorg protocol problem because mouse returns to normal behavior when I move cursor outside game window :(
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

A large part of the graphics pipeline for virtual texturing got re-written and it's just not fully baked yet. Generally I don't like going backwards but it didn't seem like we had much choice in this case so we need more time to tweak it. Welcome to alpha ;)
  13. cola_colin

Oh I am not really angry, don't get me wrong. I know it's alpha after all. Just funny to see a major performance issue and the first explanation is: Now it works for Macs! I am happily waiting for the next patch :)
  14. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

lol glad your doing some work on the graphics pipeline I imagine video ram leaks are extensive with alpha :mrgreen:
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The performance issues are unrelated to the 32 bit Windows support. When you play the game on a 64 bit Windows OS it automatically runs the 64 bit version of the program and are not "tied down" by the 32 bit restrictions. As garat mentioned they're caused by changes to the underlying rendering systems to better support 64 bit Mac OS X.
  16. leesam

leesam New Member

Getting the same performance using:
    bin_x64\PA.exe
    bin_x86\PA.exe

about 20FPS where it used to be mostly above 30.

Also wanted to note, if you quit and rejoin fast enough you are able to reconnect to the game you were in. When you reconnect there is a split second while joining where you can view the other bases.

Nevermind: i see the above issue noted in FS#1560
  17. thefreemon

thefreemon Member

I'm truly loving the sound work.

Please, the guys who did the advanced artillery sound. may my pledge buy them a round because they deserve it! :D

EDIT: There seems to be a new bug related to texture loading. I'm getting smooth 60+ fps while not panning around. drops to less than 10 while zooming in or out. Textures take time to load.
    Last edited: June 26, 2013
  18. pinbender

pinbender Active Member

For those who want a little more details on the virtual texturing change:

In the previous version, virtual texture page requests were filled via meshes that are created at planet creation time. Considering each decal on the planet was its own mesh, this was a large number of meshes.

On some machines, this was causing a rather large pause whenever some random set of those meshes got rendered into the virtual texture. In the case of some macs, it was pausing for minutes(!) at a time, and completely locking up the machine.

The alternative method that we had considered earlier in development involved dynamically creating the meshes as needed. This should cause the page map filling to take longer at the cost of more memory on the GPU. We didn't have the development resources to explore both options, so we went with the one that should run faster (in theory).

Build 50083 includes the first implementation of the dynamic mesh page mapping option. Since it was based on the static implementation, it matches the behavior of the static option pretty closely. As a result, while it has the benefit of not causing mysterious multi-minute pauses on some hardware, it doesn't take advantage of the fact that has different batching opportunities.

The performance of the old version was also the result of a few weeks of intermittent performance tuning. The new version has very different parameters that dictate its behavior, so quite a bit of that tuning no longer applies.

We're working on getting it back up to parity right now. In fact, it should be much better in the next build. (Definitely let us know if it's not.)

Taking a step back in median performance was a tough call, but the performance was bad enough for a large enough portion of our users that we decided to go ahead with it.
  19. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Thanks for the post Pinbender.

Very interesting :)

Cheers,

-Todd
  20. cola_colin

Thanks for the update on this :)

PA already filled 2GB of my 2GB VRAM before the update. :eek: