Start Saying "GL HF"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Omegacomet, June 26, 2013.

1. Omegacomet

Omegacomet New Member

Just a question, but are we going to start saying GL HF before our matches? Which is fine with me or are we going to start a new one :). Just wondering i couldnt really think of anything PA Specific to say. Its always good manners to say something there.
  2. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Enjoy annihilation. Do so now.
  3. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Can't really force people to say it. It's nice if people do though :p
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I usually start with "I will destroy everything you hold dear whilst basking in the lamentations of your women. HF."
  5. Loegi

Loegi Member

I doubt I'll be doing it, because honestly I don't want you to have luck, and I don't really care how much you enjoy the game.

And I'm sure as hell not going to post an obligatory "GG". Maybe an "EZ" for fun sometimes, but that usually just makes me feel bad.
  6. deso88

deso88 Member

You are a bad person. :p
  7. Cryonicfire

Cryonicfire Member

I say GL and prepare for your annihilation! :p
  8. Omegacomet

Omegacomet New Member

lol that's hilarious.
  9. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

There was a million-page-long thread for SMNC about how people were offended when winners said GG at the end. The whole thing is silly.
  10. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

This is an Uber game.

GLHB (good luck have bacon) or GTFO
  11. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

I never quite understood or cared for this practice. "Good luck" seems unnecessary, and "have fun" should be implied. It is a game, afterall.

Nonetheless, I usually play along, although I think I may just start demanding bacon now.
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I say GL;HF as more of a good luck charm than anything. Any time I forget to see it, everyone in the game instantaneously grows a pair of oversized sunglasses, a ripped tee-shirt and torn jeans. At the end of the game, they will usually spout nonesense about how tank rushes are ghey and how much everyone else in the game sucks teats.
  13. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I always considered it to be a matter of politeness, like bowing to your opponent, or shaking their hand before a duel. We may be saying things that are already implied, but despite the simplicity, it still lays down a foundation of respect for your opponent.

After all, PA is only a game, and you are playing it with someone as a matter of enjoyment. Is it such a sacrifice to wish them well regardless of the outcome? It seems to me to be the mature and adult thing to do.

The same goes for "GG". Whether you won or lost, whether it was a close battle or a stomp, it was still only a game, and no matter what your attitude is about it, you need to recognize that. You may have lost horribly, but by saying "GG," you are communicating to your opponent that despite this, you hold no hard feelings and that at very least, somebody had fun.

Here's a little story. Back when I played Warsow, one of the regulars was a female player named Emily, who had the policy of always typing out "Fun game" after any match. Her reasoning was essentially what I stated above; We're playing this game to have fun, and any game, even a total stomp, was fun if you came at it with the right attitude. She made sure to type it out after every game, instead of using a keyboard macro to do it for her, because she wanted to make sure that she didn't come away from a game with any negative feelings, despite the outcome. Taking the time to manually type that out allowed her to come down from the adrenaline high and dispel any aggressive feelings she had, instead of spitefully mashing a macro key after every game.

Sadly, many of the other players were unused to this response after a game, so they assumed it was a snarky, spiteful comment, rather than what she meant it to be. So she ended up just using "GG" after every game. However, there are some of us that have adopted "Fun game," especially when playing with her, because we understand the concept behind it.

Kind of a sappy story, but I think it gets an important point across. Rest assured, whenever I play any of you, I will always start off with a "GL HF" and end it with a "GG." Perhaps even a "Fun game." ;)
  14. impulsecloud

impulsecloud New Member

OPERATE, ANNIHILATE, TIL EVERYBODY'S GONE!

Don't really want to copy Starcraft2's glhf. We can find something original to get behind.

The community as a whole can choose, as well as the high level players who get casted/streamed the most. I've found that almost everyone already says 'gg' at the end of games.

gl;tpim
    "good luck; this planet is mine."
  15. psychopigeon

psychopigeon New Member

I say: " Don't suck " to my team mates.
  16. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

im always find me ,saying gg at the and!
  17. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

Well, I understand the GG at the end, but at the beginning, I won't be the first to say GL HF, but I will politely reply if somebody chooses to do so. I usually spend those first few moments setting up critical builds, so I like little distraction.
  18. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Once you automate the first 7 steps, it usually gives you some time before your first factory is done, and it takes even more time before your first builder is rolling out of the factory.

During this time there is plenty of room for some short conversation.
  19. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

I never said it was a good excuse :lol:
  20. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

When I was a kid I played Sports a LOT. So it's a habit I picked up back then. Before a game started we were made to say "Everyone have fun and good luck!" to the other team. At the end of the game we had to stand in a single file line and shake every player and coaches hand and say "Good Game." So for someone like me it's purely a habit that formed when I was a kid and is still a habit 20+ years later for me.