Linux: Working Distributions

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by garat, June 25, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all! Going to use this thread to start tracking what distro's have been tested as working, and any special hoops you need to jump through (that are not driver specific) to get working.

Ones I know appear to work:

- Ubuntu 12.04 / 13.04
    - Linux Mint 14 / 15
    - ArchLinux 64bit: Symlink libudev.so.1 to libudev.so.0 workaround still required
    - debian stable (wheezy) - newer libc6 needed
    - debian testing (jessie) - no modifications
    - Gentoo x64 with open-source radeon r600 driver -- also ok. All the graphic stack is from the unstable (~) tree, mesa and LLVM from the git with the r600 LLVM compiler enabled. Apart from libudev fix -- no special treatment was involved, just the standard 3D hardware support.
    - Fedora 18 x64 with the symlink workaround.

Please reply with Distro, version, and steps if anything unusual required to get working in the lastest build.

Thanks all!
    shootall and LavaSnake like this.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Reserved
  3. retrry

retrry Member

ArchLinux 64bit.
    Symlink libudev.so.1 to libudev.so.0, this is still happening.
    Kikuto likes this.
  4. asgo

asgo Member

debian stable (wheezy) - newer libc6 needed
    debian testing (jessie) - no modifications

(other stuff has been for graphics performance )
  5. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

^ this. Using nVidia GTX 660 w/v319.23 nVidia driver. I run wheezy, but changed the apt source to testing and just updated libc6 and it worked!
  6. Forgrimm

Forgrimm New Member

I can confirm ArchLinux 64bit is working fine after symlinking.
  7. born2chill

born2chill New Member

Gentoo Linux x86_64 on latest nvidia-drivers works (as described in the topic I started), udev symlinking is needed.

edit: as Gentoo is versionless / source based (or a meta-distribution as they say) I can't give a version number. however i attached my make.conf, which defines how packages are compiled and is key for troubleshooting in case of missing features or if one wants to cross-reference different Gentoo installations.
  8. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

Gentoo x64 with open-source radeon r600 driver -- also ok.

All the graphic stack is from the unstable (~) tree, mesa and LLVM from the git with the r600 LLVM compiler enabled.

Apart from libudev fix -- no special treatment was involved, just the standard 3D hardware support.
  9. Xaseron

Xaseron New Member

10. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

It runs on Slackware64 14.0 on my Intel i7. Not at a very high fps mind you, but that has to do more with the age of my GPU and the fact that the game is not optimized.
  11. Xaseron

Xaseron New Member

which i7?
  12. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

i7 model Q720. Its a mobile proc.
  13. thegriefer

thegriefer New Member

Runs on Fedora 17
  14. darthlo

darthlo New Member

OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bit with NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2

Had to install the libudev0 package (had libudev1 installed but PA doesn't like it.) Didn't try a symlink yet.

After installing the udev package, I could start the client and login. It locked up with trying to play a match. Never got passed "Waiting for match". Couldn't hit the back button and had to kill the process on the command line.
  15. redstar427

redstar427 Member

Works on Kubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS 64-bit (same as Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS, except with KDE instead of Unity for DM)

Of course, it still has the disappearing, flickering cursor with garbled graphics, but otherwise works fairly well.

System specs:
    i7 980X Extreme cpu
    Geforce GTX 580 gpu (1.5 GiB)
    24 GiB ram
    SSD (6 Gbps)
    Kubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS 64-bit
    Linux kernel 3.2.0-43-generic
    Xorg 11, version 1.11.3
    Nvidia driver version 319.17
    OpenGL version 4.3.0
  16. susim

susim New Member

Tried the alpha version for the first time.

It was a quite hilarious experience sort-a-speak :)

All in all:
    ---
    Debian unstable 2013-06-27
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Linux 3.9.7-i7avx2-dt w/preempt & BFS
    OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32 on 660
    libc6 2.17-5
    X.Org version: 1.12.4
    screen #0 (primary GL):
    dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (431x272 millimeters)
    screen #1 (secondary):
    dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (342x271 millimeters)
    Fluxbox 1.3.5
    --- Runs fine without any modifications.
    My grievances are:
    • * The windowed mode seems to lose the track of the mouse at some point.
    • * Try to pan over the whole planet, draging the focus --> next stop, the south or north pole, or the next workspace (see above) FULLSCREEN NE1?
    • * The whole PA-process seems to be hogging one core, ok, alpha-version, but from what I gathered (from tracing) the IPC and the network-code is some what interesting -- it is hammering yields and clock-gets, main-game loop perhaps? B-)
    • * As more and more units are created the game deteriorates and a slideshow will begin more or less - my bet is on the debug code + (network) latencies (4 players) and the amount of units to be updated on a shoddy network connection.

To put things in perspective, Oilrush on Linux runs happily over 100fps w/ or w/o multiplayer on this hardware with every graphics sugar on top.. Just to say that the potential is there and try best that :)

But, this alpha release was excellent, and keep up the good work!
  17. darthlo

darthlo New Member

So I tried it again...

- removed libudev0
    - created sym link to libudev1
    - ran PA
    - was able to get all the way to "creating game" this time
    - looked like it almost finished the build when it crashed
    - the PA process gobbled up all my idle CPU cycles and about 2gb RAM
    - had to forcibly kill, took me about 5 minutes to get PA to free up some CPU time so I could kill the process.

Running OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bit on a quad core core2 cpu, 8gb RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450. Yes, I know my system is a little dated. Not a hard core gamer and don't use Windows (at all) so it serves me well. Runs Steam and all my other games just fine.

I'll try it again on the next code drop. I'm also going to research to see if my graphics driver is creating a problem. Thanks!
  18. darthlo

darthlo New Member

Third time is a charm. I can confirm that PA works on OpenSUSE 12.3 64-bit. I was able to play my fist game before everyone simultaneously imploded followed by popup stating a new build was available and no new games were allowed with this version.

I modified my xorg.cong file to enable compositing. I'm pretty sure that's what fixed the problem as I didn't experience any of the glitchiness or slowness that I did the previous two attempts.

Nice work, guys. Looks good. Now if I can just figure out how to play....

Config:

OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bit (Kernel v3.7.10)
    Core2quad (Q6600)
    8gb RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (1gb RAM)
  19. BeepDog

BeepDog New Member

Fedora 19 with the libudev symlink workaround. I do get the mouse pointer bug however... I don't have the link handy.
  20. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

To rule it out guys, the mouse issue is that you could be running behind, press END to move the camera to the current second in-case you are accidentally watching behind, i had that issue while recording last night.