Logistics (ammo, fuel, electricity, building materials, etc)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by FunkOff, August 19, 2012.

1. technoxan

technoxan New Member

Re: Logistics (ammo, fuel, electricity, building materials,

but wont it be useful for HP?
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

As in repairing damaged things?

You assume that aircraft 1) live long enough to retreat, and 2) stop shooting long enough to retreat.

Which might be true. But it also might be false.
  3. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

Only if you actually want to implement a "healing" mechanic for aircraft, which I'm not sure about. The majority of your airforce usually consists of fighters, which have low HP and are easily shot down. After a fighter clash usually fighters either survive or get shot down. I think it's unrealistic to expect to be left with 20 severely damaged fighters which you can return and "heal up". Such a feature may only be useful for larger bombers/gunships. These,however, are slow and usually get shot down by fighters, which would intercept them on their way back to an ACC or resupply station anyway.
    Additionally, I think that by the time you have such large bombers and gunships you won't care enough to actually micro them back to your ACC to gain HP back, you would simply build new ones. I think HP regen for aircraft has very limited use.

The main reason for an ACC should be to overcome limited range of your aircraft and maybe to resupply ammo. Because without those limitations, I can just set my fighters to patrol, park them near my enemy's territory indefinetely and send them attacking whenever I want, which is stupid.
    This may be possible with only the most advanced aircraft but certainly not with T1 fighters/spyplanes.
  4. veta

veta Active Member

I hope they do. The "deal lots of damage but made of paper mache" system isn't super interesting.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

True, but "performs the same as a land-unit, but in the sky" is pretty boring too.

You can make aircraft as tanky as you want, so long as they can't be perpetually in combat. Ammunition will enable that.
  6. omega4

omega4 Member

I'm definitely all for logistics. It turns a simple RTS into a one with real strategic elements that must be considered.

I remember the first time I played SCFA and had a pretty good airforce defense going. But then my fighters weren't moving as fast and were dropping like flies to enemy airforces. Then I learned that all my fighters had run out of fuel because I had neglected to build air pads.

SCFA (and TA) are great games in their own ways. Logistics in SCFA is a big reason why.
  7. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

But it's more realistic. When a pn airfighter gets shot down it has very little chances of ever returning to the home base. That's why they have ejection seats.
    Bombers may have more HP but they are slower, resulting in equally low survivability.
  8. veta

veta Active Member

for sure
  9. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I think all these complicated logistics add-ons should be for another game, or for a PA mod. Because PA would be a VERY different game with these very realistic add-ons. Even then is the future form of "sky net" in perpetual combat with itself. It cant be too realistic :D :ugeek: :ugeek:

EDIT: sorrey I double posted trying to get rid of the quote :p
    Last edited: June 25, 2013
  10. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I think all these complicated logistics add-ons should be for another game, or for a PA mod. Because PA would be a VERY different game with these very realistic add-ons. Even then is the future form of "sky net" in perpetual combat with itself. It cant be too realistic :D :ugeek: :ugeek:
  11. omega4

omega4 Member

So, is the intent for PA to be a "strategy-lite" type of RTS game?

If so, then I'll probably have to get my strategy RTS fix somewhere else.

I think the C&C series of RTS games have the "strategy-lite point and click" genre cornered.

12. paulvonhindenburg

paulvonhindenburg New Member

Logistics are stuff for another type of RTS maybe in the future when PA is finished ...

a game where you have also care about : rifle ammo, fuel food , ammo and supply transport, electrcity, railways messengers, telegraphes , zeppelins , raffineries coal and iron mines logging camps , happiness ,barbared wire , oil , water supply and also different eqipment of troops, airplanes , tanks , guns , howitzers , mortars , poisonous gas , treches , mineurs, channels , mines , roads , over sea tading routes , knwledge ,differnt type of food , sawmills to make your wood to boards , papermills, steelworks, foundries, hospitals , spies, different ammo chioces, chemistries, towns , villages , pollution , flame throwers, maschine guns, K-wagons, culture and more and more.....

maybe a WWI white elefant. Please do not answer with dwarf fortress.

But this game is not called PA.
  13. nicker007

nicker007 New Member

Just my 2 cents, but I LOVE Total Annihilation and I LOVED the way everything was set up for resources. I don't mind having to build a space port to transfer energy and metal, but I'd like to not run out of ammo... If anything base defenses should be the only thing requiring "ammo" and this "ammo" would be the metal or energy depending on the type of defense, but I'd prefer units themselves to not have limited ammo. I love all out wars that NEVER stop, but it'd stop if I ran out of ammo that's for sure. I still don't even like the sound of my defenses using materials that I need to build an army. I want a game like TA where you build your units as fast as possible and just launch an all out war on one team at a time or if you have enough units just destroy everything at once. There should be like an auto fight button for planet vs. planet fighting you should be able to send the planet to attack another without you needing to help or intervene unless the planet runs out of units, which you must create no matter what, you shouldn't need to send the units to attack if it's planet vs. planet. If you're on the same planet you should have to send your units though. Otherwise it'd be too easy to overwhelm invaders.
  14. omega4

omega4 Member

If you loved the way TA was set up for resources, that you do realize that TA units consumed metal and energy as "ammo" to fire their weapons, right?

One of my favorite TA memories was watching my opponent march a huge force of Penetrators to the front lines. As I braced for his attack, I quickly saw that nothing had happened. My opponent failed to realize that he had insufficient energy resources to power his huge force of Penetrators. As a result, not all of them could fire at the same time!

I unleased my zerg force of T1 kbots on them before my opponent could get his Penetrators to retreat. The invading Pentrator force succumbed to the "lowly" T1 kbot zerg and were destroyed to the last one.

Great times! And it wouldn't have been possible if TA had not made "ammo" a limited resource dependent on metal and energy.

Hopefully, Uber will do the same thing with PA with regards to "ammo". If not, I'm sure someone will build the appropriate balance mod, which will definitely attract the likes of me to play it.

15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Stock TA only used energy as ammo, and only on high-powered laser units.
    (Not including nuke/other luanchers, which built their missiles)
  16. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I think PA's logistics is fine the way the devs have explained it. ;)
  17. rextremendae

rextremendae New Member

NO, just NO. Stop it omg, just STOP.
    Don't try to ruin this game.
    This is supposed to be a good sucessor to total annihilation.
    Don't try to turn this into failhammer 40k II.

TA is about skill, MACRO skill. This is NOT like age of empires or STARCRAFT.
    I can't count how many times i played the alpha and made a massive base, while my opponents made one factory and thought that was all they needed to do.

Macro is make a ton of everything, then multiply that by 10 and do it again.

I have played a TA moded match that lasted 7 hours and got to over 30k kills in a single match, i know what im talking about.

Sure realism can work on some games, but this game is far from being meant to be like that.

STAHP
  18. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Please stop right now, whatever you are doing. Okay, now go to Good old Games. Use the search bar to look up "Total Annihilation". Go get your wallet/credit card/paypal information, and buy it. Now play it, I don't care if you play an AI Skirmish, ARM or CORE campaign, just play it, and play it on the highest difficulty. Log about 20 hours of that stuff. You now understand why the nitty gritty of logistics is a positively stupid idea to implement in a game with a MUCH LARGER overall battlefield size than TA.

Okay, now that you understand this; there will be a Realistic Logistics Mod. It can be added, we have the technology. You can stop reading this thread now.
    Last edited: July 1, 2013
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

AOE is one of the most macro RTS games out there.
  20. mrfreelancer1987

mrfreelancer1987 New Member

I know that this won't happen in PA... but if you want an RTS game that actually handled Logistics well. Find a Copy of Moon Project, Sequel to EARTH 2150. Really good game with Tons of Different Game Modes & a Massive Tech Tree