PA Beta gentlemens ladder

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, June 21, 2013.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You don't need to report games played with me. I take care of them^^

I don't think a sticky is necessary, as this thread should bounce up with every match played anyway. And if there is no reception and nobody plays then it's not an important topic so it doesn't need a sticky either way.

So far the there's not many people playing I guess. All games were me vs somebody else :lol:
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i would definitively play, if I had only alpha access :shock:

wait for beta :lol:
  3. cola_colin

nah for myself this thread is already pretty good. I got to play people who are playing on my level. Random games usually end with 50% people who greet me with a "This is my first time playing this"
  4. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I'm thinking of joining but the game lacks too much of the normal stuff that you need to play over half of the planet so it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    But in case I meet any of you on the battlefield I shall attempt to play fair!
  5. darktom77

darktom77 New Member

I too would join this but i'm not going to until MEX spots have been implemented.

Once they have then i'll be all for this ;)
  6. cola_colin

Meh....

*begs Uber for Mexsposts*
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

No mexspots have severely hindered gentleman's rules!

And Colin, if you're after regular games, you should jump on our teamspeak. We've got a number of good players who play pretty much daily.

I think you'd particularly enjoy getting your arse handed to you by the_killer ;)
  8. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Great idea. Will be on later looking for games if anybody interested.
  9. cola_colin

Oh for me the rule of placing mex with factory wide spaces has worked better then I expected. Not as good as having mex spots, but better then placing mex right next to each other.

I'll check out your ts later.
  10. thedbp

thedbp Member

Uh, I like this count me in.

thedbp/DramaticDelta(when we can change screen name)
  11. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

I don't think it's as bad as SupCom. In PA you get a smaller percentage of metal generation, in SupCom, mexes would literally turn off (0 generation) along with all other powered buildings in an energy stall, and then fluctuate on and off as energy went positive / stalled again. PA actually handles it better (in my opinion) by just dropping production to a lower level without causing power strobing.

It's still not good, but I'd say it is "less bad" than it could get in SupCom.
  12. cola_colin

I disagree on that. Since the energy drain does not go down when I have no mass the economy gets trapped in a pretty bad state with energy and mass stall. In SupCom it is easier to handle since it stabilizes the moment the mass storage is emptied.
    I regularly crash my economy in PA hard when I try not to waste tons of stuff. The line between wasting and starving seems to much smaller in PA compared to SupCom and I think it is because the energy drain on engineers is not going down when I don't have enough mass.
    But what am I talking. I am part of the group of people that never understood what's wrong with SupComs economy in the first place.

clopse, thedbp I added you to the list.
  13. cwarner7264

I think it seems to be the case that the default storage in PA is significantly less than it was in SupCom, and each storage unit does not store as much in SupCom either.

I spam storage almost as much as resource production and find I get plenty of leeway. I'd imagine that storage needs a slight buff, but economy tweaks are probably not too high in their list of priorities at the moment!
  14. cola_colin

I can't see how storing resources would possibly change anything. You need to spend resources, not store them.
  15. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Having lots of storage gives you a massive buffer space to fully utilise your eco and respond before you stall.
  16. cwarner7264

Bingo. Gives you more flexibility when reacting to both economy changes and enemy activity.
  17. cola_colin

It has been established that building storages is no good for a lot of years now.
    What change in PA economy system should change that?
  18. cwarner7264

It's always worked for me! I like my buffers.
  19. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

if you play at ColaColin's level, mass storage doesnt help you. Even at my level I cannot get any advantage from storage, as my mass storage is always nearly empty.

energy storage though may be helpful, to avoid total economy stalls. (in supcom shields also needed energy, it was risky to lose all your shields)
  20. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Of course efficient competitive gameplay would not work well with wasting mass in storage buildings, but in the current state of alpha balance, the hardcore eco crashes happen easily but are manageable with lots of storage.