Is anyone else getting owned by T1 tank rushes?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ninnamin, June 23, 2013.

1. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

Because I know I am.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Build Moar Tanks then. There isn't anything stopping you from building the same number of tanks.

Mike
  3. dacite

dacite Member

People tend to tech up too fast. Build more factories and out produce the other player.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

since 49900 the distance between people is so much reduced that fast teching actually got dangerous :shock:
    Judging from the patch logs it is not intended, but I like it.
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Hmm... no?

If they build lots of tanks, you build lots of t1 laser turrets and t1 artillery.

Make sure to have a bunch of them near each other and an engineer to repair them and they can stop 30-50 tanks easily without any losses unless the enemy micro manages them very effectively (which means they aren't concentrating on building up).

Your commander is so fast in building them, that you can easily fortify any position against hordes of tanks. Just remember, the planets is a sphere and if you fortify only your front I'll walk the other way and attack from your sides and rear. :twisted:
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This will stop working once everybody HAS to build mex on mexspots.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Exactly, but knowing how to maximise tank production leaves you much better off long term. Turrets and Arty are great now that we can have these incredibly compact bases(even without building stacking) but once Metal Spots are functioning even if we build everything else densely, your extractors will be defenseless.

Mike
  8. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

My post was meant to comment more on how, in my experiences, the enemy has been able to amass extraordinarily large quantities of Ants in very short amounts of time and then crush all of my defenses by clumping them together in a ball and throwing them at me.

I keep investing most of my economy in base defenses, but in the same amount of time I take to build up my defenses the enemy can just roll over all of it with a mass of Ants. I would just chalk it up to poor planning if it didn't keep happening over and over.

Maybe I just don't build fast enough, I dunno.
  9. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

If your enemy has more stuff, by definition, you are not building fast enough. Check how they're doing it and copy that.
  10. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

We currently have an exponential economy. The speed on which you expand in the first 5-10 minutes has an enourmous impact on what you will have in mid game (10-30 minutes).

You're most likely not building enough engineers. More engineers, more mex's, more power plants and more factories for even more engineers.

Also, keeping a factory running producing tanks costs way less ressources then an engineer building defenses (I think, I don't have the exact numbers in my mind).
  11. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

So it's currently cheaper to just make a bunch of factories to build tanks and set them on patrol patterns to intercept enemy units, rather than build actual defensive fortifications?
  12. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I spent this morning waking up thinking how best to implement this....with a fully functioning economy....it's difficult to do but there is nothing to stop it. One fabber building factories whilst the others support the economy to a certain size can do it rather efficiently
  13. codemanb915

codemanb915 New Member

t1 tanks vs t2 tanks a small band of t2 tanks (10-20) can easily crush a large army of t1 tanks, when I'm getting over run by t1 I just tech to t2 tanks while building a whole lot of t1 def and WALLS lots and lots of WALLS. Why? Cuz walls are cheep, and they keep your **** alive from t1 tanks so easy.
  14. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

Exploiting the current walls' OP status to keep your stuff alive doesn't seem to be the best option, imo.
  15. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

Defenses are naff at the moment because of terrain, i think of the map with trees, there are these little blocks of rock, i think they are meant to be impassable.

So with walls and defences, you can seal off a choke point. At the moment you can just walk through them, making it an open battlefield and defenses not so hot. Moon is also a problem, but the craters make it less of one.
  16. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Yeh it's simple and easy to do, I just tried out my idea for a good build of it, but I don't see it as unfair tactic it's just generally having tons of production instead. Too many players build two factories of everything and thats their strategy. Generally it's a better idea to have more then it is to have less. Especially as increasing production means you'll get more units quicker in the long run anyway.
  17. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

The problems I have with them are that they cost too little for the amount of damage they can soak up and my units keep auto-targeting them.

Can units really still walk through them? I tried a while ago and it didn't work; That may have been the structures built BEHIND the walls, however.