When do we get New Units?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Zenotheory, June 23, 2013.

1. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

I know it still currently in alpha and still debugging... But just wondering when will we get new units to play with?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Once the game reaches a point where everything currently works as intended and we can accurately gauge the particular aspects needed in new units and whether or not a new unit is actually needed or if a current unit can be adjusted instead.

Considering we still don't have Metal Spots working, I wouldn't start holding your breathe just yet.

Mike
    Last edited: June 24, 2013
  3. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

The usual response to these is "When they are ready" :)
  4. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

Soon(tm). :lol:
    But seriously, what Mike said is on the spot.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

A more informative answer would be once we've made more progress getting the Mac, Linux, and 32 bit builds to a better state. We've had a non-trival number of programmers spending time getting those builds and the distribution of those builds up and running. We should have them getting back to working on the game again shortly.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

By non-trivial, do you mean everyone?
  7. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

32bit windows mac and linux are all a waste of time and money. The target community is not the lowend. How much money will this burn and already did?
  8. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Why are you deciding who the target community is?

If I'm guessing correctly, this game will run on a wide range of hardware. One of the things that makes this game fit in a relatively small budget, is the fact that they are going for a game that relies more on aesthetics than graphics.

And since this game is very scalable, with adjustable playercounts, planetsizes and who knows maybe even unit count. You could really make this game work for low end computers too.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?

Here it shows that roughly 20-25% of the community is still running a 32-bit operating system. Pretty significant I would say.
  9. arnick

arnick New Member

Plus, if they didn't try to make the game work for 32-bit systems as well, how many people that backed with 32-bit, would get pissed you think? If they didn't help those people that helped them, they'd be issuing a LOT of refunds. And ultimately, that will hurt them far more than spending a bit of time working on getting 32-bit up and running. Besides, the best approach to any matter of conflict is one that ends in a win-win scenario. Both sides come out happy. Or should.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

If it makes you feel better we're not supporting the 32 bit Linux running on PowerPC iMac demographic. ;)
  11. asgo

asgo Member

how about the raspberry pi? ;)
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/
  12. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We are absolutely supporting Raspberry Pi!
    As long as you're using Raspberry Pi as a display mirror and are actually playing on a PC...
  13. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Is this where I can ask about getting my palm pilot and exclusive units for that platform?
  14. Frostiken

Frostiken Member

Where's the TI-83+ version? Blockdude and DrugWars are getting kind of played out.
  15. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Nah man, TS1000 is where it's at.
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I have a watch that's programmable! ;)

(Oh, bgolus, what have you done!)
  17. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

I also expect to see a client on an arduino, Uno not Due!!!
  18. natewiebe13

natewiebe13 New Member

Noooooooooo!!1!!111
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

With the greatest of respect, I think Uber are in a far better position to judge whether it is worth their time or not.
  20. soghog

soghog Member

I imagine once all the OS support stuff is finished the first new units we'll likely see is orbital, since that's an important part of the game that will need plenty of testing. After that we'll probably see miscellaneous support units once everything else is settled and balancing will become the focus.