Personal requests from RTS vet

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by turroflux, June 21, 2013.

1. pauloaugusto

pauloaugusto New Member

Those Shift-click and Ctrl-click on the unit productions are extremely handy.

But you can't make a factory build a repeateable set of 4 tanks, 1 AA, 1 constructor, 4 tanks, 1 AA, 1 constructor. These "infinite" build queues are uber handy, much more than adding 5~100 orders into the queue at a time. Actually, when you're sending a build 100 of something into a queue, you're probably just saying "don't stop building this", anyway.
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Yeah, even when you ordered a few hundred tanks out of your T1 factories, it allready happened to me that they've run out of it and sit idle in games I've played.

Also, having a scout between every few tanks is just very handy and currently not possible without tons of clicks or other micro management.
  3. NatoNine

NatoNine New Member

I agree with the OP (although colour coding should always be complemented with symbols due to colour blindness being so common), but these sorts of options should go even further. Its fine and expected to do everything that has come before, but lets break some new ground too.

For example, the click and drag building placement could also be used as a way of specifying the number of units the player wants and their rally point area, which itself could be almost identical to the way formations are made, a secondary command could also be given so that once the first rally area is full the units move out (perhaps to battle as a army) freeing space to make more units with the same rally area. The rally area could then be made to repeat the build of the first army a set number of times or a infinite number of times and, like with buildings, units could be set to be rebuilt on destruction or not (this would be useful for maintaining an armies numbers without setting a infinite build queue, thus wasting resources).

The idea should be to improve macro by reducing micro, but without diluting the player intentions or breaking micro.
  4. danimaller

danimaller New Member

seeing as it was the first game i bought for my 333 mz machine (yes before i bought diablo)
    yea i played more than a lot of ta. still have my disk.. still install it and play it from time to time.
    and while im playing it every time i have to leave the front line to go back to my my base to get more units to come out i think to myself man have things gotten better since then.

if you want to play TA again go do it .. me i want to play PA witch btw is a diff game made MUCH later in history and yea needs a few modern features
  5. Redquad

Redquad New Member

Ok, if this personal request, may i request too.

1) Infinite loop is great, but it can be even better, when you will add "pattern loop". Ok, what i mean?
    There are Factory and it can produce unit1, unit2 and unit3 types. When you loop like in supcom, you just can loop one type of unit. But if there are sort of pattern cells with 5 cells. You can idle:
    -----------------------------
    unit1, unit1, unit2, unit1, unit3
    -----------------------------
    and then just infinite loop this pattern. Factory will produce pattern in this idle with infinite loop.

2) Starcraft2-like object binding:
    Select 30 tanks -> binding on "1"
    Select 5 factory -> binding on "2"
    Press "2" -> do something with 5 factories
    Doublepress "1" = go fast to 30 tanks

3) I think you saw games on spring engine. That would be great if you will add this formation of units by mouse. But i think it will be realy difficult, because map are spherical.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
  6. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

The infinite button in SupCom had the pattern loop application you're talking about.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Then don't use it. Infinite loops are a must and the addition of them will save me a lot of time I am currently spending on spamming shift click.
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Repeat button is a must imo. I would even go so far as to switch repeat on by default in every factory.