Artillery hitting Aircrafts?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by felipejoker, June 23, 2013.

1. felipejoker

felipejoker New Member

Hi there.

Probably everyone else is having this as well, but may not have noticed: my artillery keeps hitting enemy aircrafts. Is it supposed to be this way, or is it going to be fixed at some point later?

Yes, this is my first post, and yes, I tried searching for this information on the forum but couldn´t find it.

Thank you.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

3. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

Bullets are simulated so they can be used more tactically and dodged as well as having some unexpected effects
  4. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

In TA, if a long range arty unit got enough exp, it could shoot down aircraft at long range.

Skill shots ftw.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Even Tanks can shoot down bombers at least for now. I am not quite sure if that is intended. I mean: Tanks shooting bombers? REALLY? xD
  6. hiredmark

hiredmark New Member

I don't mind arty beng able to target bombers. After all they are meant to be vulnerable and arty is slow and dodgable. Tanks and bots though is a bit weird. I think they do it only when the aircraft are at their horizon so they appear to be on the ground.
  7. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

In TA, if the enemy was in your base, the arty's would kill your production by firing at your plants
  8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Yea tanks are not supposed to be able to shoot aircraft, no tank has a 360 degree cannon :lol:

Artillery is fine, as long as it doesn't hit every time.
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Hm... a tank turret is supposed to give them a 360° firing arc though. :p

Personally, I love it. Tons of t1 tanks are currently the best bomber defense and I hate bombers while I love tanks. :mrgreen:
  10. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Yes in front and in the back but not above :p
    A tank shouldn't be able to tilt its cannon up, just left or right. This thing got me killed a few days ago and I raged :(
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

There should at least be a minimum angle.

Bot in TA however can be observed trying to target bombers, but turning to slow to actually get a target lock.
  12. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

It wasn't so much the turn rate as the shots where too slow to catch most aircraft.

When ever I play Battlefield 3, I often shoot down helicopters with the main cannon.
  13. igncom1

14. felipejoker

felipejoker New Member

Ok, its ok if it is intended, but, isn´t every unit going to have a role in PA?

I mean, if my artillery is good enough to take down aircrafts, I´ll just spam them and some scouts and its GG...

I played a match against the AI, and attacked one of their pre-built bases with 5 artilleries and 1 scout. I ordered the attack against one of their turrets. All aircrafts started going towards my troops.

All of them died hitting the artillery projetiles in mid air.

It was a cool effect, but somewhat OP in my opinion.

Maybe the refiring rate should be slower, and each projectile deal more damage?
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Roles exist, but they aren't strict.

Being clever enough to use a unit outside its usual role should be encouraged.
  16. igncom1

17. veta

veta Active Member

This.

It's reminiscent of TA. I like that they try to hit bombers - I agree it's probably not intended they succeed so often :lol:
  18. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

This is what you get with simulated bullets. In supcom I even saw someone block a nuke hitting his naval fleet with a t3 transport positioned in just the right spot.

It was amazing.

In reference to this discussion though I don't think tanks or arty (anything other than AA) should try to target aircraft. It's okay if their projectiles end up hitting because of strange circumstances but I don't like that they actively try to hit them.
  19. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Noticed this vs the ai the other day. I guess the planes flew over the commander just right. Kamakazi buggers!