Land to air fixes

Discussion in 'Support!' started by assasins943, June 22, 2013.

1. assasins943

assasins943 New Member

So im sure this is on its way but in many games i have seen someone mass 1 type of unit. mostly ANT tanks this is an issue as it has no drawback. Had the ANT not be able to attack air units i could of defended my self from the thousands of units he had. Now i did have plenty of units my self but he had THOUSANDS from min 1 he was building them. there were so many my screen was lagging and i couldnt see the terrain unless it was a mountain.

other units need to have their specific attack air to ground. the tanks say they can only attack land units but they still shoot at the air units.

Some say this would be an terrible thing to have but it makes air units useless and no one will build them unless they are usefull but since they get shot down by everything in a few hits why build them? why not just mass ANTs or LEAVERS? to combat the massing of tanks we need them to be land attack specific.

and of course have a type of unit that is anti air but not anti ground as well.
  2. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

Generally a mass of T1 tanks approaching your base can be thwarted by artillery installations, as they can generally take out 2-3 units at the same time, and then the remaining force has to manoeuvre around the wreakage
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I love having the tanks shoot at aircraft.

But yeah, t1 artillery is the solution till we get gunships.

As bombers aren't really area of effect bombing just yet.
  4. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Ant spam has nothing on Levelerspam. And yes, it can also kill air units.
  5. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

If you and him have so much tanks that your entire game starts to lag, then it's best that you just attack sooner. Letting the enemy get too big is a mistake that many people tend to make. It is important that you keep hurting his production, instead of relying only on unit counters.
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

The range on t2 artillery cannon is ridiculous build a t2 rader next to it and watch the fun
  7. Frostiken

Frostiken Member

* when it works :)
  8. codemanb915

codemanb915 New Member

I also think that Tanks should not be able to hit air targets, as in most RTS games tanks can only shoot ground targets and can not shoot air unless they are specifically designated as Anti-Air who only shoot air targets.

From what I understand is that there was something in one of the older builds that prevented tanks to shoot T2 factories and installations because they were designated as "AIR" units. This may be a speculation, but I've asked around, and this seems to be the general consensus.
  9. igncom1

Unit classes in a game like this is more determined by the simulation of their projectiles rather then by arbitrary targeting restrictions.

If tanks are too good at AA, then it's either their weapon at fault or the aircraft for not getting out of the way.
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that they will either slow down the tank's projectile or limit the turret's pitch. Or both.

I still want all units to be *able* to fire at aircraft, like in TA, but ATM, almost any ground unit can kill any aircraft.
  11. Frostiken

Frostiken Member

Or I imagine in this case, the turret can simply aim too high.
  12. igncom1

well with the roundness of planets, you could even do it by firing at the horizon.

I feel like the shells don't have an appropriate amount of drop off, allowing them to easily fly off into space.
    If they fell faster then firing up ward would cause the shell to do a better and smaller arc while retaining a fast shell speed when firing at ground targets.
  13. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Pretty sure the wiki has an article on "gravity wells" that mentions that different size planets will affect range/etc. Maybe tanks will be able to kill air at long range on a moon (edit: and inversely, not be able to hit ground at long range), but not be able to on a huge metal planet, and also have reduced range overall.

This could make balancing a lot harder, but force players into using different builds each time, and really explore the game.
  14. igncom1

I agree, as I would love to see different metas in different environments.

but for the average terran world it is a little strange to have them shooting down fighters and such.

Gunships vs tanks would be a cool battle however.
  15. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

This seems like the most appropriate thread for me to revive.

I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't be able to shoot air at all. But I'd still be happy with a nerf of some kind like mushroomars suggests. After all what's the point of spinners if you only need Tanks?

I like to see hard counters to units by other units. I don't think artillery should be considered a counter, I want to agressively go out and counter an "imbalanced" army composition *before* they get to my base.

Sorry, I know it's alpha and it's too early to talk about balance overall, but I think the theme of the argument is still valid.. mostly the what's the point of spinners bit.

Also if the people who like more rounded units (shooting both air and land) do you guys think the air fighters should be able to shoot land like they did in TA?
  16. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

They won't be able to shoot air forever. I am like 99.9% sure they will eventually make it so units are restricted to different layers to aim at, and tanks shooting air will be removed. Then your T1 bombers will be able to kill tanks without much trouble, unless he has fighters or spinners!
  17. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Well, mind you, on a planet this size, a shell wouldn't have nearly the dropoff it has right now if we're talking about realistic density. Assuming some sort of compact matter that allows for earthlike gravity on a 600m radius ball of rock, you are actually approaching the Schwarzchild Radius, most operational machinery would be crushed almost instantaneously by the raw force of gravity.

But I digress, let us **** physics once again. Projectile arcs would be more like TA's plasma cannons. Note that I do not say that projectile speed should not be the same as TA's plasma cannons, which were horrendously slow and prone to miss anything that was moving at all.

TL;DR Projectile Arc should be modified to reflect TA's Short Range Plasma Cannons, like that of the Guardian and the Bulldog.