How to play like a pro

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by redharo, June 21, 2013.

1. redharo

redharo New Member

Stack all your resource buildings in 1 location (abuse the absense of building placement requirements)
    This solves a **** ton of problems you get from the horrid pathfinding

Put large spaces in between production buildings (unless you are making flying units)
    This also solves a **** ton of problems

Spam Catapults, Bombers, AA Vehicles(mainly bombers)

Use your Spammed bombers to snipe off enemy commanders...
    The game needs shield gens so this wont happen... as easily
    (also means you also need to spam AA so it wont happen to u as easily, the enemies woudl require much more bombers)

Oh! also, build a relatively large building on top of your commander so enemy bombers can't find your commander and destroy it
    Last edited: June 22, 2013
  2. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

3. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

if your not playing to win, that must mean your playing to lose?
  4. redharo

redharo New Member

I guess so..
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Or playing to bug test an alpha and help release a more polished product?
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The point is that you're not supposed to Play an Alpha, you're supposed to TEST it.

Mike
  7. redharo

redharo New Member

Your supposed to come up with strats that make the game unbalanced so it is easier to fix :)

On the serious note though most of the things to correct are blindingly obvious
    Stacking buildings
    path finding
    units getting stuck in terrain
    units randomly stop working.
    and etc...

no need to test quite yet
  8. KNight

Balance is FAR from the only thing you test in an Alpha. Arguably balance is something left to Beta.

Mike
  9. redharo

redharo New Member

The points i listed above werent "balance" issues
    those were actual bugs.

its hard to look for obscure bugs when theres **** ton of bugs glaringly obvious bugs in your face
  10. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Um... are you really suggesting that those bugs haven't been reported a long time ago?

You did have a look at the appropriate forum, used the search function and looked through the bug tracker as is requested of alpha players, did you?
  11. KNight

No, what he's saying is that he can't look past the obvious things like building stacking to spot new issues.

Which to me shows that testing is not a main concern for redharo, he's here to play.

Mike
  12. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I think playing to win is a virtue even in an Alpha. You can make an analysis of what substitutes "optimal" play. However you should be very careful to draw conclusions about specific balance changes. Since the game is changing rapidly you basically have to play to learn the game and if you are using exploits that eventually will be patched you are basically wasting your time using those exploits when you can learn other more useful parts of the game. Of course finding those exploits and imbalances while reporting and explaining why you consider them to be imbalanced is useful to the development of the game.
    Shield generators have intentionally been left out of the game and the devs have no intention of implementing shields as seen in Supreme Commander. Rushing to the conclusion that PA needs shields to defend against bombers is unnecessary when so much of the game will change. The economy will slow down as mex spots gets implemented, bombers might be nerfed, interceptors might be buffed and you might even be able to send the commander to space to keep it safe from bombers.
    You could as well have said that you want shields.
  13. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Or you could, you know, build Interceptors... Or tanks... Or really anything with a gun. Bombers are instantly killed by pretty much anything.

When I am playing to win, which I do on occasion just for the fun of it, I use semi-gentleman's rules. Place mass anywhere, because everyone else is going to do it, space ALL structures, don't use bugged units. I've found that the game's balance is heading in the right direction, T1 land is a stomp machine, T2 land is mainly for support, air is manly for support.
  14. redharo

redharo New Member

haha ya, i changed my strategy alot today... now i just build as many factoriies as i can...

Haven't lost a single game since..
  15. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

Making strategies isnt going to get complicated until we get everything in right things change so much that a working strategy today is crap tommorow i wouldnt worry about it and just play how ever it works and just try weird stuff.