PA.exe has stopped working

Discussion in 'Support!' started by jakeupowens, June 18, 2013.

1. jakeupowens

jakeupowens New Member

Hey guys (and gals), I have been dying to play the Alpha for a bit now and every time I try to start it up, either from the launcher or Steam, I get a 'not responding' followed by a nice and heart breaking message of "PA.exe has stopped working" and I have to close. I've gone through the many potential fixes that one thread already shows, but to no avail. I even updated everything Windows and still to no avail. Yes, I have restarted my computer. I have an older computer (about 5 years old), and I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with my setup. If there are any suggestions as to what is going wrong, I'd love to know, otherwise, I'm going to be very heartbroken if I can't get in on this amazing Alpha.

Here is a copy/paste of the dropdown I get after the crash:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: PA.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 51baa803
    Fault Module Name: PA.exe
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 51baa803
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000136566
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 9f20
    Additional Information 2: 31db935fb02e44c6a8b777efb7cfa1db
    Additional Information 3: bf19
    Additional Information 4: fae3219c9bdb37844adf4f9f0efac383
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Can you post a dxdiag please.
  3. kingmako30

kingmako30 New Member

I've been having troubles too. Doesn't matter which build version, doesn't matter if its steam version or not. I've never even seen the title screen...

Dxdiag information
    I'll be honest, I have no idea what is important and isn't...

System
    Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, build 6002)
    System model: Satellite L355
    BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 1.90
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 2940 MB RAM
    Page file: 1607MB used, 4501MB avaible
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display
    Name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    DAC Type: Internal
    Approx. Total Memory: 1342 MB
    Current Display Mode: 1440 X 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Moniter: Generic PnP Monitor
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

That system is way below our min spec. It's a 4-5 year old low end laptop with a 12 year old CPU and integrated graphics. Our cut off for tech is ~5 year old high end desktop hardware. We want to eventually support Intel integrated graphics from the last year or two, but right now we don't even support those, so one from 4 years ago isn't plausible for us.
  6. jakeupowens

jakeupowens New Member

7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately you have exactly same problem. You have integrated video card on your notebook motherboard, it's not suitable for gaming.
  8. jakeupowens

jakeupowens New Member

I was afraid of that. I suppose my 5 year old laptop has seen better days, and will see no more. Is there a list somewhere of the min. specs PA can run on?
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Developers want to make PA work on low-end integrated GPU like Intel HD4000, but it's planned only for release version (in December) and I doubt you will ever able to use anything than minimal graphics settings with this hardware.

Current early alpha version will have reasonable performance (on high graphics settings) on desktop hardware like that: Intel i5, 6GB+ RAM, Nvidia GeForce 560Ti 1GB/AMD Radeon HD 6950 1GB or better. If it possible stick to Nvidia GPUs because their OpenGL support in drivers way better than in AMD drivers.
  10. bugalugsmcscruffin

bugalugsmcscruffin New Member

Currently Intel integrated graphics is not supported, but I can tell you that I am currently running the game on a laptop with an HD4000 integrated chip. Just means if I have any problems Uber won't look at them yet.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah I know, it's even working on Linux with HD4000. But it's doesn't mean that game have decent performance and it's good idea to buy this hardware.

Also currently most of games haven't more than 3000 units in total, because with more units server lag is too big. When game will be finished there should be much more units, so even with optimizations it's not a good idea to play on iGPU.