did you guys see the new stategic icons.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by thedbp, June 19, 2013.

1. thedbp

thedbp Member

they look beautiful to me, much less clutter.

goto C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\ui\alpha\live_game\img\strategic_icons

can't wait till they're implemented.
  2. deso88

deso88 Member

Yes they are way more strategic.
  3. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

They are good for a second pass, but I think distinguishing them will be hard with lots of units. We'll see how they work ingame, since they don't even seem really finished as they are.

Definitely step in the right direction though.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

They look good, but they are pretty small and have a huge empty space around them for some reason, which makes them hard to use currently. Well they are not even in atm, so I guess they will change a bit before they will be in.

[​IMG]

So they are going into a very good direction, just a bit too tiny atm. The old ones were too big, bit this is too small.
  5. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

Ooh nice.

Commander doesn't get a new icon? :O
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

He is kind of important. I don't mind if he gets a special symbol.
  7. soghog

soghog Member

Space is a good thing if you're zoomed out and have them clustered, you just need to be sure that when its zoomed out you can still easily see what's what. Can't be too simple, can't be too detailed.
  8. cola_colin

That images does not show the full changes, as i.e. there were multiple icons for different kinds of factories but the old icons do not support that and I was too lazy to even research if I could do anything about it, all I did was rename a few files ;)
    Maybe I just missed it, but I didnt see a new icon for the commander either. Which is fine with me, I like the bulky fat commander icon. It's a pretty important unit after all.
  9. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

What about unit priority?

Eg Commander icon will always be on. From what i see in the picture for example i think the mex icon is hiding half the commander.

I reckon it would be good if they prioritized units on the overlay instead of buildings...cause lets be honest. Its much harder to lose a building than an engineer :p
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Hm I actually like the old ones more - they were much more readable to me
    (Even though they were too big).
  11. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I like the fact they downsized them though it could be a bit too chaotic to work out when they were all clumped up.
  12. thedbp

thedbp Member

I actually think they're very much not readable.(the old ones)

imho, the symbols are simply to complex, so in a tight base or army it becomes a mess of lines rather than actual readable symbols.
  13. deso88

deso88 Member

Imo simple shapes and an inner icon that is consistent between the unit classes is much better readable than random shapes that barely resemble something.
    Those icons are going a good direction.
  14. lazlopsylus

lazlopsylus New Member

Not a fan of these new icons in their current state. Visually, I'm having a hard time discerning what's what, which can easily lead to problems later on. I agree that the currently-used icons could be much-improved, but I don't think this is quite the way to do it.
  15. paprototype

paprototype Member

They look confusing.
  16. deso88

deso88 Member

They are very easy to mod though, so there are going to be alot of different sets of strat icons.
  17. soghog

soghog Member

I guess the question remains on how exactly they should be made more readable. They need to be easy to see from a distance without cluttering, and easy to identify quickly.
  18. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Am I the only one here who thinks that zoomed out strategic icons aren't 'strategic' at all?

Zooming out should give us aggregate data, not individual clumps of overlapping symbols.
  19. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Something that has been bothering me:
    Can we have a setting to control at which camera height the strategic icons pop in (or fade in)?
  20. cola_colin

I am waiting for this, too.