Random Meteorite showers.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by orlyno, June 18, 2013.

1. orlyno

orlyno New Member

Hello there..

I think this is my first post here.
    And I have to say I'm excited about the game :D

But I was having a brainstorm moment.
    Will this game support having random meteorite showers occur during games?
    I don't mean human controlled meteorites, but just randoms just smashing into the planet, at just an random place?
    It's something I find that could be cool.. It doesn't have to happen every game, again, keeping the random aspect of it :p

Is this something anyone else finds cool? Or am I a lonely crazy Norwegian about it? xP
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Random events have been discussed before. The problem with them is that they might look cool, but it really sucks if you are playing a really good game vs an equal opponent and then suddenly a random meteorite falls down on your commander. It's just as good as a "Simulation terminated" message.
  3. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

Yep, you are a lonely crazy Norwegian...
  4. orlyno

orlyno New Member

Aww :(
  5. TastySanchez

TastySanchez New Member

I like the idea but agree it could really suck if it ruins an evenly matched game. Maybe it can be an option you turn on/off?
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

RRRRRRRRRRROUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGPELTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
  7. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

This was terrible in TA, to such an extent that nobody ever played on them in my group of friends, especially because they could destroy your starting mexes and solars on some maps.
  8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

No plans for random environmental damage right now, but that doesn't preclude someone making a mod for it.
  9. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

In a lot of ways I hope that PA vanilla will be a really good complete game, as well as having some really fun mods.

The motto of whatever the mod site is should be "PA: There's a mod for that."
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Fixed hazards are always a possibility, though!

The main thing is you don't want to be killed by a dice roll.
  11. khazar1

khazar1 Member

Why so negative? Just make it so that you can prevent it. Done! If you go outside of the safezone or the safezone is somehow deactivated then and only then you are in danger. Done again! :lol:

P.S. with safezone I mean anti random event units/buildings and natural safezones(whatever that could be ;) )
  12. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

or perhaps some way of preventing it? This could be an incentive to erect a less-used base defense - that shield/turret would also defend against random incoming meteors... making it less of a late-game changer because you (should) be ready for it.

Of course you'd have to be able to turn it off. Even an early game roll-of-the-dice wouldn't do for competitive play.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Then the question is what's the point?

Mike
    Last edited: June 20, 2013
  14. khazar1

khazar1 Member

None because we can only use it for late-game changers, for everything else it would be utterly pointless and no one else had any ideas what to do with it.

Can you feel it? :lol:
  15. veta

veta Active Member

As everyone else said this won't be in the game - but the devs have expressed interest in stuff like set meteor collision courses at the start of games.