we need a death star!!!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by spmartin23, June 15, 2013.

1. spmartin23

spmartin23 New Member

Hey Guys,

will we have a death star (star wars) :p or have you got that idea.

like a planet or astorid you could build, stick some engines on it and a few powerful weapons or 2 on it so you could blow up a planet. that would be really cool, plenty of rockets and big awesome weapons at our disposal. :D p.s you could add some out of space ships would be good to. like again star destroyers (starwars again) lol

create upgrades to troops and weapons, also could you add plenty of ships for sea assults, few rockets that would be really cool

would like to hear from you about this

Si
  2. antillie

antillie Member

I think metal planets are supposed to be something like this.
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Yup. It might be possible to 'repair' a metal planet and turn it into a giant super weapon.
  4. cerosia

cerosia New Member

Can't tell if serious ....

also

we got death star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4w7ChpuaM
  5. spmartin23

spmartin23 New Member

excellent i look forward to blowing up planets and ships and stuff with my metal dealth star, moo hoaaaa

p.s add a darth vader too lol :lol:
  6. spmartin23

spmartin23 New Member

oh we need a sheld generator on the ground for it to be protected when in construction too, and have its own sheld when completed, dont forget we need the countdown to fire button too, lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
  7. Nelec

Nelec Member

No shields in PA. Big red fire button, yes.
  8. antillie

antillie Member

While I fully understand what made shields in FA a bad thing I will kinda miss them. I kinda always viewed shields as a counter to orbital bombardment that provided no protection from ground/naval/air based fire as opposed to the bubbles of annoying invulnerability that they were in FA.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We can always introduce shields later.
  10. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Can you please play shoop da whoop when it fires. :)

On a slightly more serious note. I think we should work to come up with a name for one of these metal planets that can be reactivated.
    Last edited: June 18, 2013
  11. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

I for one really do not want shields or counters for game ending, or cataclysmic events. I submit an example, which of the following do you think sounds more fun.

A race to use a super weapon that, is easily countered?

Or no defense for Mah Lazor or an asteroid. And you force the players to battle for control of the metal planet/asteroid.

I think the idea of having mini battles that for strategic locations with consensuses makes for a more interesting game, than strategy deployed, detected, counter built, back to regular game play.
  12. jjffjhjf

jjffjhjf New Member

I don't think having it as an unstoppable game ender would really be fun. I mean, if nothing can stop it, and we are going to be having multiple planets, with multiple people playing on each one; anyone who has less other players or less skilled other players on their starting planet would get this huge advantage over the other players, simply because they are able to get off their planet faster.
  13. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

True, However. If we were implement shields would the crippled team not die eventually anyways, from a normal means of conquest?
  14. antillie

antillie Member

When I say shields as a means of protection from orbital bombardment I am referring to space based guns and such. Shields would have no effect on incoming asteroids. Also making shields so they can't be stacked like in FA would help a lot too.

However I do not feel that shields are necessary and I'm sure PA will be a great game without them. TA was.
  15. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

suggestion for experimentation

assiming these shields were stationary, and only protected from orbital attacks.

It wouldn't be "single shield-single bubble" approach, but more of an array of nodes that add to an overarching ceiling of energy. Think radio telescope arrays. The ceiling wouldn't function as a glass bubble, but as a charged repellent against kinetic and beam weapons from space

These shields wouldn't stop an asteroid impact - they only dampened the damage. They would have a soft kinetic effect on any mass trying to pass through them. So instead of totally stopping a laser, it would instead reduce the laser's intensity, like a sunbeam through a piece of light cloth.

So if an enemy launches a huge asteroid at you, you'll still need to use missiles to break up the mass, and the array of shields would help slow down the debris so that it landed softly and could be picked up and mined. Or if you only had the shield, maybe the asteroid would destroy what it landed on top of but would have lost enough speed that the AOE is severely reduced. You could not use the shields and only blast the oncoming rock with missiles, but the busted up debris would still cause limited damage across that hemisphere if there's no shields to slow them

This "soft shield" would also open up options for gently landing an asteroid on the surface for easier mining, as you could de-orbit onto a sort of energy cushion
  16. antillie

antillie Member

Interesting idea.

I was thinking of shields as a way to force players to invade planets rather than just bombing them from orbit with asteroid strikes being the final option to break turtles.
  17. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

of course having shields only be useful against energy weapons and be ineffective against kinetic bombardment would also be cool, and make sense.

So many options, looking forward to late alpha/beta stages where we get to test what's more fun :D
  18. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

I really like this idea. Having some sort of grand invasion definitely adds to the case for shields. Perhaps constructing planetary shields could be ungodly expensive to match the time and resources of the metal planet being brought back online.
  19. spmartin23

spmartin23 New Member

i think you should be able to keep your death star once created, more so if your playing on your own in a skirmish.
  20. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I think a super expensive transparent "cushion" shield would be pretty cool. But I'm good with what the devs decide :D