PA Alpha Build: 49658

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, June 18, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Current Build: 49658
    Date: June 17th, 2013
    Platforms: Windows 64-bit, and Early Stage Mac OS/X 10.7/10.8 and Linux testing. We're working hard to get 32-bit versions out as well, but as of today, we don't have clients we can provide for it. XP is NOT supported, and likely will not be. There are .NET dependencies and a number of other issues with this now 13 year old legacy OS that make it almost impossible to support.

If you are playing on Linux or Mac at this early stage, please join us on the forums for discussion and ongoing bug fixes. These builds are still very early. If you don't wish to play through steam for them, you can download directly from http://uberent.com/launcher/padownloads - Mac and Linux only, these are full build until we get our stand alone launcher working.

Build 49658:
    * This build continues to work on improving the mac gameplay, but there is still a destabilizing crash, especially on mobile hardware, we're trying to track down. Continue to use mac build with caution
    * Significant improvements to Sim (server perf); more to go, but this should be noticable
    * New version of Coherent for UI; should eliminate some UI crashes
    * Select boxes should now work on Mac
    * Shift, alt, crtl, caps lock should all work on Mac now
    * Ongoing work to improve pathing
    * Groups of units shouldn't ignore their orders once a few of them start to get destroyed
    * Redesign of fab sub
    * This build (and the prior few) have a large number of under the hood changes that are mostly directed toward better crash logging (so we can fix them quicker), server perf improvment, camera improvements, network improvement, and a host of soon to come online features. As the actual features come online, they'll be called out.
  2. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

Time to test out the pathing
  3. gillza

gillza Member

Thank you for your hard work!!!!
  4. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Crossing my fingers that its some type of team game play :D
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So team gameplay is actually fairly easy. We are just super gated on the UI right now. We'll be addressing it pretty quickly.
  6. renrutal

renrutal Member

Just reproducing the error I'm having while trying to download the Mac client (this one and the previous too):

I'm getting a Malformed Policy error:

viewtopic.php?p=747260#p747260

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryannihi ... es/cal1dcp

PLANETARY ANNIHILATION
    Description
    Alpha Game Key
    UberNet Activation Code
    -------
    Activated By
    renrutal
    Activation Date
    18/06/2013 00:20:31

It's not converted to Steam. Would it help if I do it?
  7. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

Thats awesome news.
    Just had a fun game, most of my tanks became crab tanks. One tank from the rear pushing the rest sideways except they kept moving in the desired direction :D
  8. lynx88

lynx88 New Member

Thanks for the awesome and regular updates! :D
  9. atmorell

atmorell New Member

New build is a huge improvement on Mac. The UI does not crash anymore, and the game is a lot more playable. I added a few bugs to the tracker..
  10. redstar427

redstar427 Member

This new version fixes the window resizing bug for me in Linux, so I asked for closure on that bug. :)

Awesome!
  11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The UberLauncher still has 49595 listed as the latest build ;)
  12. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Indeed you are right I can now resize the window on Linux, woohoo! :D
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You got Nvidia card? I don't have such bug on AMD GPU.
  14. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

why does mine still say version 49595
  15. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Only one build made my game faster. One after it made it worse :< But fun stuff incoming, so yey!
  16. laseek

laseek New Member

I see FPS drop when resizing the window on Mint 15 using AMD 13.4 on a 7950 with the current build.
  17. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Still hoping for persistent range circles next build! :D

EDIT: Oh, and totally forgot about the building base square showing up without scouting o_O
  18. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Just tested pathfinding, units still pathfind their way straight through buildings and right off of cliffs.

The whole "right off of cliffs" bit is especially prominent whenever a unit is ordered to get to an excluded area of terrain, like a spire in the middle of a chasm. They'll push each other right onto the cliff wall.
  19. fuzzels

fuzzels Member

Interesting, as the previous build (49595) worked kinda, but froze every once in a while; the new one (49658) just hangs at "Starting Game" and even kills the rest of my Mac's UI (long live SSH and kill ;)

As mentioned in the bug tracker (ticket #1246) this is on a 27" imac (3.4Ghz, 16GB mem, OSX 10.8.4);

On an Air (mid-2010) it actually started, major difference is that thing has OSX 10.9 on it though; unfortunately as the optimizations are not in that slowed to a crawl and then a sudden crash.
    Big difference between the two: message ports didn't go higher than 65k on the latter, while on the imac it exploded to several millions (maybe a limitter in 10.9?)

I am wondering as you can report success what your setup is, can you provide details?

From syslog:
    2013-06-18 16:15:38,000 kernel[0]: process PA[6215] thread 495231 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 96%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.092711 seconds, (64.788814 user, 25.303897 system) ledger info: balance: 90001907057 credit: 90001907057 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 93300984307
    2013-06-18 16:15:39,896 ReportCrash[6228]: Invoking spindump for pid=6215 thread=495231 percent_cpu=96 duration=94 because of excessive cpu utilization

maybe that caused it to be killed off ;) I'll see if there is a way to disable that...

Just in case, just tried without the second screen on the iMac (as I noticed SLI issues and other gfx issues in other tickets), but that did not make a difference.

Update: retried again (attempt 20 or so) ... and now I have a functional game! :) The freezes as per #1264 do still happen, but rarely, eg after 5-10 minutes of play:
    <code>
    [17:06:17.395] INFO Log file /Users/fuzzels/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log/PA-17-06-17.395.txt opened
    [17:16:50.873] INFO 29: 6600, 45
    </code>

no more logging and a minute or so later also the sound stops, the UI is frozen all the time, including the UI of other programs (including dock, context-switch etc). Even a 'kill -9 <pid>' (long live SSH) takes a while, thus seems a lot like a resource exhaustion.
    Last edited: June 18, 2013
  20. byte01

byte01 Member

I had it hanging the first time, after that i managed to create a new game and later also join my previous game.

Resiszing the window in game caused the system to freeze, hence i tested to rejoin.