Would´t be better we have a real perspective of the fiel?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by kalherine, June 17, 2013.

1. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Inside the planet im always think im going to drop, the real view inside the planet don´t seems real.
    The planet is too round, makes us lose the sense of reality.
    The battlefield should not be round, should be plan to give us more notion of the reality of what is happening on the battlefield.
    We all now earth is round ,but when you look around do you notice its round?Off course not its plane.
    Just a thought ,imagine you zoom out you see the view like it is now ,but when you zoom in you see the field plane isn´t it bether?

3 pictures to understand.

Attached Files:

2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Re: Wy can´t we have a real fight field

Because it's Alpha! :lol:

Now, I don't want to sound like the crowd over at MWO, them using the whole "It's beta" excuse for every single damnable problem with the game, but right now it's pretty true. Uber is still working out the bugs, getting everything stable. Heck, there's a PR crisis going on right now because people think a production like this should have been finished in under 10 months.

I'm pretty sure Uber is currently stabilizing the game, working out why random SIM crashes still happen, fixing infamous glitches like moonbases, "Leflyathans," and the ground getting a bit of a stiffy near canyons and other terrain features.

Give it time broheim!
  3. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Re: Would´t be better we have a real perspective of the fie

And your proposal is?
    The planet is round because it is a sphere.
    If you think the planet is looking too "spherical" you have 2 options:
    Zoom in really far.
    Play on a bigger planet.
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Earth appears flat because of the vast differences in scale between us and the planet. The planets in our game are significantly smaller in scale, so the curvature is more obvious.

Our goal has never been to create accurate earth scale planets. Earth is approximately 12742000 m in diameter. The planets in the current Planetary Annihilation Alpha are between 900 and 1400 m in diameter.

It could be you just want us to render the planet "flat" when you get closer to it. This is possible, but wouldn't show the "real perspective" since combat is actually occurring on the round planet you see and not a flat plane.
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Actually I think the perspective and round battlefield is kinda awesome and stylish...
  6. felipec

felipec Active Member

To be honest I don't lose the sense of reality because of the round view. This is just the way it is.. Try looking at a image of earth from space and you will see that you got a very similar view.
    I have one question to add to this: Our sky is blue and when you have an atmosphere, if you look up you will see something else but the space. Will we have this effect in PA since now when we have an horizon view of the planet we see the space, not the "sky"
  7. LordThunder

LordThunder New Member

I have been playing the alpha for a bit, and I feel the perspective on the planet is a bit off.

When zoomed in to a comfortable distance where you can see the 3D models properly, but also see enough of the surroundings 'to keep an eye on things', I feel like I am looking 'straight down' on most of my units instead of having a more comfortable '3/4' top/side view.

I liked the viewing angle as presented in the KS video. There you have more of a 'side' view on your units.
  8. z4c

z4c New Member

The largest 1400m planet in the alpha feels pretty big already, especially when moving lots of units to the other side. I still hope that there are bigger ones added in the release version. Having other planets of various sizes in the system to fight over will also require the camera move from planet to planet; keeping the battlefields flat would make it less obvious as the connection between the planets. It does seem as of now the solar system view is flat, but that could change.
  9. ace63

The side angle definitely looks neat but is a mess in terms of overview.
  10. LordThunder

LordThunder New Member

Too much side view is indeed a mess to control too. Completely top down view is not very practical either, because for one, ground and air units are pretty hard to tell apart.
  11. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Have you experimented internally with anything like this?
  12. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Oh come on, if you're going to have an issue with why is the planet round you might as well say why is this planet's sky blue? For earth our sky is blue due to the ozone layer and atmosphere. But if you want to make an issue of why is this planet so small and round you should include that.
    Because it's a game is the answer lets not be sheldon.
  13. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

I was really hoping that you were going to say "Cause our robots are MASSIVE!" they see over the flat plain of the planet and around the corner :D
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

So wait a sec, exactly how possible would it be to generate an Earth-sized planet once the engine is done? Would the size just kill the engine?
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

More just commenting on there being various methods of projecting a globe onto a flat surface.

Well, technically it's possible to just set the diameter to 12 million and then sit back and wait a few hours (or days). As long as you have a terabyte of RAM you should be fine.
  16. portable

portable Active Member

It might look terrible, but you could add a terrain-follow camera mode that also deforms the viewport with something like a fisheye lens (while waving a white flag on keeping the unit's scale sensible, I guess). So, yeah, it could be terrible. But you might make this guy happy, and he did drop $90 on your game. It's a tough call. *cough*
  17. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

I think he is not the only one having problem with the feel of scale, but not a lot of people want to talk about it now because it's probably too soon.

Just to give you an idea of what I think feel really wrong currently:

[​IMG]

Again, it's a feeling problem, nothing to do with gameplay, map size or whatever.
  18. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I think it looks cool.
  19. ace63

To be honest - I think it looks great and totally fits the game style the way it is.
  20. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

I was waiting for something Epic, with a Massive scale, big replicating mechanisms of war, and currently, sorry to sound harsh, I feel like playing with plastic toys in a bathtub (or Mario Galaxy RTS).

But if it's the intended look/feel, just forget what I've said, I'm just disappointed (I had supcom2 flashback the first time I've tilted the camera).