PA Alpha Build: 49595

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, June 16, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Planetary Annihilation

Current Build: 49595
    Date: June 16th, 2013
    Platforms: Windows 64-bit, and Early Stage Mac OS/X 10.7/10.8 and Linux testing. We're working hard to get 32-bit versions out as well, but as of today, we don't have clients we can provide for it. XP is NOT supported, and likely will not be. There are .NET dependencies and a number of other issues with this now 13 year old legacy OS that make it almost impossible to support.

If you are playing on Linux or Mac at this early stage, please join us on the forums for discussion and ongoing bug fixes. These builds are still very early. If you don't wish to play through steam for them, you can download directly from http://uberent.com/launcher/padownloads - Mac and Linux only, these are full build until we get our stand alone launcher working.

Build 49595 (+49525):
    Mac OS/X: 10.7 & 10.8 support: Game still has some keyboard support needed for basic gameplay, but a significant improvement over even the prior build. Arrow keys work, zooming works more reliably.
    Some focused improvment aimed at GeForec 9xxx cards (Should help across the board, especially older cards)
    Some camera updates
    Main Menu button should do something now (in game)
    First pass of weapon and radar ranges should be in (press and hold ctrl to see mobile units, structures should always appear when selected)
    You can target radar blips now
    You can no longer select units still being built
    More sound work, sea and naval focused
    Visual redesign of sonar and advanced sonar
    Air fabber flying behavior now - no more landing when building
    Bombers/Adv Bombers guard radius now matches vision
  2. soldans

soldans Member

You guys are awesome, patching on a Sunday! :D

Edit: When talking about SUN... it's fixed???
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this

The fix I like the most from reading is that selecting units in factories is not possible anymore. It was so damn hard to select factories before, lets see if it works as I hope.
  4. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Awesome!
  5. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Submitted my feedback of the Linux build on the Linux forum for you.
  6. vox1972

vox1972 New Member

Makes a huge difference having the range rings!! :p
  7. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

fixed
    Last edited: June 17, 2013
  8. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

any ETA for when you guys are going to fix being able to see factory foundations through the fog of war? It's the one bug that is putting me off from playing right now, other than that, great work! :D
  9. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

Massive improvement with the range UI, i can now build my radar and artillery without worry of guessing how far it reaches.

Performance wise i didn't have any issues early game, never got to late game cause i wanted to test out the artillery from a distance.
  10. garat

We should be able to get back to the business of more generalized improvements this coming week. Much of last week was focused on getting Mac and Linux running, getting Steam ready to go, etc. This coming week should be back to ongoing bug fixing, new feature development, etc. Including getting recon working the way it should, so games can be more true to a real game experience with no free recon. ;)
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Sounds great
  12. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I do love the recon plane it's a great tier 1 unit and it's so useful because I can use the t1 air factory for something besides a fabber to build t2 airplanes so I do appreciate not getting free info when the plane is there....I'm very tempted to try and take out the AI commander with nothing but them.....cos they can also shoot.
    Anyone else tried this?
  13. poncegabriel

poncegabriel New Member

Can't access Pa.exe keeps crashing
  14. garat

Don't mean to be harsh, but this kind of post is so not helpful. We need details. Attach a DXdiag, tel us platform, give us (über and the community) something to work with, please!
  15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Just wanted to give my thanks for this patch in particular. Running on a 250 GTS 1GB and my framerate has doubled from 15 - 20 to 30 - 40 (zoomed out, so max draw distance/most objects rendered) :)
  16. deso88

deso88 Member

Thank you for lighting up my sun.
  17. indy802

indy802 New Member

Hi Garat. Thanks to you and the team for an amazing job so far. Unfortunately I am running a Windows 7 32 bit version and have only been able to enjoy the Alpha through YouTube. From what you have said above it looks like the team is focussing on bug fixes this week. Any indication at this time as to release of the 32 bit Windows version?

Thanks
  18. poncegabriel

poncegabriel New Member

Very sorry.
    Platform: Windows (Windows 8 64bit)

I was away for a week i only played the alpha when it first launched ( build:48491). Came back today downloaded the new build (49595). Suddenly launcher crashes everytime i try running it (tried opening as admin, downloaded c++ redis (.NET) nothing)

I've attached my dxdiag info below.

Attached Files:

19. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

+1 to range circles, now just need to get mex points :p

One thing tho... is it possible to have the ranges show up without selecting the building/unit, either by holding down a key, or even a settings option like "always show building range. It's always nice to be able to see the base defense range, or always see the range of the radar when building another so you can minimize overlap.

You've fixed the radar working 1/2 built and I don't thing you can see projectiles through the FoW..... what other things could be wrong??! (if you don't mind my asking)
  20. garat

Well, damn. THat's not what's supposed to happen with new builds. Out of curiosity... is the game itself crashing, or are you getting the crash when you hit play? That's the first step. This build was supposed to improve things, but it also made some fundamental changes to the rendering pipeline to try and improve the performance for older cards (especially the 9x00 nvidia series).

We may need to push another path in the next day or so just to fix this, if we can track down what exactly is happening.