How to fix the Steam price concerns?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Causeless, June 13, 2013.

?

How should the pricing for PA alpha be done?

1. Same as it is now, 90$ for early access

148 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Lower alpha price on Steam, taking away exclusive commanders

31 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Lower alpha price on Ubernet and Steam

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add to this, this suggestion is perfect.
  2. theggman

theggman Member

Looks like the simple "fix" is to ignore their complaints. No matter what is done, somebody on there will complain about the game.
  3. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Sell the game key for 40$
    No alpha, no beta. People just don't get it.
  4. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Pa is number 3 on steams top sold list atm (and every other game in the top 4 has a huge discount), i dont think there is any pricing concerns, just a very vocal minority that screams there heads off for no reason.
  5. theggman

theggman Member

Honestly, its fine how it is.
    This all will eventually breeze over.
  6. Maruun

Maruun Member

Yeah just saw that and dropped my jaw. At that moment i realised somethign incredible...steam forumes doesnt have any credit :D

Good for Uber and for more dedicated testers :) Or some didnt got the patience to wait and buyed anyway :p
  7. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

They already said they wanted to. They asked steam about it before but they refused.
  8. Consili

Consili Member

Well that settles it. There wasn't much in terms of changes that Uber could do that was a good idea, tiered preorder not being allowed on early access and lowering the price risking upsetting existing backers. Now we can see proof that it was a vocal minority of the Steam community and we can feel happier about ignoring them to death.
  9. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

yes, i was going to say a bit the same thing.

i just stopped playing whatever game earlier today, and then BAM ! pop-up :
    hopefully i was already aware of this issue, but still, the first thing that came into my mind was "WTF ? i never saw a game that expensive"

so yes, basically the steam add should also show the 40$ pre-sale and 60$ beta access so it is made clearer that the 90$ one is for the alpha access.

but on the other hand i guess it makes people want to click to see what does this means :lol:
  10. Consili

Consili Member

neutrino mentioned (on page 5 of this thread) that that was what they wanted to do but Valve wouldn't allow a preorder through Early Access. That it had to be a product with a playable early build, which only leaves Uber the alpha to sell through steam at present.

In any case it seems like a relative non issue now. As garatgh pointed out, PA is currently in steams top sold list so it isn't the travesty and failure on steam as the vocal naysayers of that community would like everyone to believe.
  11. warlockgs

warlockgs Member

Called it; the vocal minority can go back to being ignored :)
  12. mistercheif

mistercheif Member

That's what it seems like is happening. Their rage goes on, and I walk among them to try to at least correct their inaccuracies, so their rage is slightly less ridiculous. For example, a petition to remove "Total Annihilation" from steam. :lol:

And my response (because I'm bored, and nothing seems to confuse them more than not raging back.

I hope I wasn't too condescending...
  13. lordmd

lordmd Member

No fixing needed. I just remembered:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010

If you want ot buy all DLC you have to pay more than 1000$ dollar I think(don't know for sure but the € already is higher than 1000€ for everything... almost 2000€).

But nobody complaining there because nobody cares about a boring simulator. :mrgreen:
  14. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

All dlc for train sim: $2582.82 USD

realizing that 200$ for PA is a damn fine deal: Priceless
  15. lolnut

lolnut New Member

I think you could lower the price on steam but in addition to lowering it just take away the additional perks. Make it so they only get the alpha/beta/release game and they don't get the soundtrack, or artwork, or special commander model...I think that would quell the complaining so people can play/ support the game by buying it but they just don't get all the extra goodies because they wern't willing to pay for it.
  16. Consili

Consili Member

I don't think that is necessary. Changing the price or rewards at this stage would only serve to confuse the matter and make Uber inconsistent with what they have said from the very beginning.

It would create two groups of Steam customers, those who already purchased at $90 and got extras and those who bought it cheaper after your proposed change who don't get extras. That has potential for irritated people on both sides of that, i.e. people who want the extras for more who cant, and those who want to drop the extras and get a partial refund. Either way it would make things worse.

At this stage the best thing to do is leave it as is. PA has been in the top 4 "Top Sellers" list on Steam since it became available there, so it is only a minority who are raging and frankly, who wants to pander to them at the risk of irritating the existing customer base who have no issue with this and sit in the majority.
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, nobody complaining because they can download it illegally.
    That's not working for PA, it's where rage come from. :roll:
  18. lolnut

lolnut New Member

Just put the extras into a DLC or something then. The people who are raging are blubbering idiots. They don't want or care about extras they just want to play the game as far as I understand. Though now that i think about it perhaps letting them into the game for cheaper is also a bad idea anyway...They are the people who will complain that the game is buggy and incomplete. Just like the idiots they are. Its a potential solution to lower the price but it will probably not stop the imbeciles who want a more complete game not understanding what an alpha really is.
  19. Consili

Consili Member

That would still leave Uber to deal with the people who have already bought through Early Access, those who would want a partial refund for the extras.

What you have said I pretty well agree with though. It wouldn't be in Uber's best interests to pander to the ragey individuals. It all seems to be a flash in the pan anyway. I haven't seen much rage since that initial flare up. Again the fact that PA is still in the Top 4 sellers on Steam would indicate to me that the majority of people are fine with things the way they are.
  20. Daddie

Daddie Member

There is always a small group with some valid points, then there is a large group that jumps on the whining train and is very vocal. But the largest group is the group who are not vocal because they enjoy playing the game and have no time to rant :mrgreen: