Resource adjacency suggestion

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by hahoolah, June 14, 2013.

1. hahoolah

hahoolah New Member

I tried searching to see if this had already been suggested, but I only found suggestions for the old SupCom system.

So, I was thinking that maybe having power generators next to eachother would grant a proximity bonus, while having them explode on destruction? I think this would create an interesting opening dilemma where one would want to clump energy production together into one big lump, but at the same time, while doing that, risk losing it all in an early (or later) attack. It kind of makes sense to me, since it would in effect create a power complex, or power array sort of thing. (Or maybe it's just my brain trying to justify some abstract OCD.. xD)

Anyways, what do you guys think?
  2. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Yeah Totalbiscuit was talking about something like this, it seems like a cool trade off. Which is always fun. totally support this.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Adjacency isn't cool enough to justify having it in the game.
  4. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

This idea was shot down pretty early. The consensus is that it adds too much micro/busywork for little actual impact to gameplay.
  5. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

If you make it have a significant impact, it becomes more of a requirement rather than an option (like adjacency in SupCom, which I've seen mentioned as being necessary for any kind of competitive match). If you make the bonus far less significant, it raises the question of whether it was worth implementing in the fist place.

Personally, while the idea itself has merit (I did like it in SupCom), I'm not sure the implementation is worth it unless we also get build templates, and specifically default build templates with adjacency built-in. Partly because I am lazy, and partly because it would help newer players see the concepts themselves (so mostly because I am lazy, really).
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

The chain reaction explosion has always been present in TA and SupCom.

At the very least we need to have buildings do some splash damage when they get destroyed.
  7. NatoNine

NatoNine New Member

If anything I think the relationship should be reversed so that power generators when distributed are slightly more efficient (it cuts down on loss during power transmission), this would fit well with gameplay as concentrating them just makes them more easy to defend and attack for good players, which is an unfavourable feedback loop. Although this is more like saying that structures should require more power the further they are from power generators.
  8. hahoolah

hahoolah New Member

I actually really like this
  9. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

It just always become required, because again it has huge risks and downsides involved.

There shouldn just be one way to play buildings, and it just be totally random spam it.

If you group them together for bonus, you risk chain explosions.
  10. Nelec

Nelec Member

Whatever the case, I want some adjacency reward, it encourages neat base building, careful planning and expansion. Something, I really suck at :p
  11. veta

veta Active Member

it has novelty value, it's a nightmare for competitive players. why do competitive players matter? because competition is a boon to a game like this and leads to continued support.
  12. JamJester

JamJester New Member

This isn't SimCity :roll:
    The focus is on hordes of units blowing each other [up].
  13. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

It would be cool if you could build PGens next to each other and have them physically link together, ie, the model would merge into a new, combined structure. It could be procedurally done, so having a 3*3 block of power gens would sorta merge into a single, larger and taller power gen. Same with long strips of power gens.

The advantage would be increased power output or storage, at the cost of guaranteed destruction of the entire chain if one is popped.

On like a central home planet, you would build huge arrays, but on front line planets it would be to risky.

It would also reduce the computational load on servers, because the combined structure could be simulated as a single one.
  14. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

No adjacency bonuses, please. Unnecessary complication that leads to cookie-cutter bases and boring layouts.

Remember, this is a follow-up to TA, not SupCom. Let's keep it that way.
  15. terminator025

terminator025 New Member

Since the idea is to be a sequel to TA, I can let the adjacency bonus go, however, I would personally like it if there was some toggle-able build grid I could use to easily line up structures with local land marks and make a neat base.
  16. veta

veta Active Member

pretty building placement is definitely planned
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I suggested this too. If buildings built together could link with powerlines and have the same health bar and such.

I suggested it at least be supported in the engine, because it can do many different things, like add a new type of t2ing (when you add a costly building to a cheap building, it run like the building is t2), a new way to fortify buildings (adding modifying structures to increase health to buildings), and a new way to add tech tree to future mods (adding a special sort of weapons fabricator onto a bot or vehicle factory to add special kinds of units to them).
  18. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I liked adjacency because it made people put some thought into how their base was layed out, and I do love it when a base comes together ;) But I'm not supper attached to this concept. Still, I would like to see some kind of incentive to build a well thought out base.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Most of the time it didn't require it to be well planned out. It just required it to be gridded as close as possible, and always the same stuff attached to one another.

I would freaking love if it did something like Vector TD, where there were literally reasons to put all kinds of crap together in different orders. Like, if a few base defenses were built in combos, they would do different things depending on the combo. Like if you used two laser turrets they would combine lasers on targets over a certain health for faster dps, or if you used a laser and a rocket, it would fire a slow rocket that would shoot lasers as it travels, or if you used 2 rockets, it would fire a rocket that broke up into smaller rockets, and if you used 3 lasers or 3 rockets, you would get even more combined lasers or rockets that split into rockets that split into rockets...

Structures could do that too, have wierd perks bonuses for literally all kinds of combos. But the way it was, it just encouraged the same 9x9 powerplants or whatever, and if you didn't build that you were literally handicapped. If there was some incentive to build from 2-3 designs of powerplant-structure-combos, it would get interesting.
  20. dustwolf

dustwolf New Member

How about implementing a "powerline" as a building/unit of some kind instead? That way you get the advantages of being able to build those awesome arrays, as well as avoid the downsides of having to meticilously piece together a pretty base to gain some basic advantage.

I'm thinking it as a kind of late-game addition, where you are trying to get more out of those fusion power plants and moho metal makers, rather than offering much of an advantage in the SupCom style of bundling power generators around factories when you start out.