Error - Failed to start game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nightrunxx, June 15, 2013.

1. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

I am trying to run this from stea,. When I click it through steam I get the failed to start the game. When I goto the local files it gives me "the version of this file is not compatible with your version of windows. I am running vista.

Any help out there? Tried to make it Admin and it wouldnt let me.
  2. neapolitanfrenchfrie

neapolitanfrenchfrie Well-Known Member

Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit?
  3. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

How do I find my version?
  4. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

32 bit is my version
  5. antillie

antillie Member

Then you are out of luck for the moment I am afraid. The alpha requires a 64 bit OS.
  6. chokinghazard44

chokinghazard44 New Member

I am having the same issue with my game, just bought it and can't run it. I am running Windows 7 on a 64 bit.
  7. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

Wow WTF.. 90 bucks in the trash. Can play every game out there right now, but this nearly cartoon graphics requires 64?

I quickly looked over requirments, because I have never had a problem in the past. Buyer beware I guess.
  8. antillie

antillie Member

The 64 bit requirement is clearly listed on the Steam page. There should be a 32 bit client out soon.

And there are quite a few games that run poorly on a 32 bit system due to the memory limitations that a 32 bit OS imposes. 64 bit has been the standard in PC gaming for several years now.
    Last edited: June 15, 2013
  9. antillie

antillie Member

The way you phrased this makes me wonder if you are running 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit capable CPU.
  10. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

It is clearly stated on their. Not debating that.

Makes no sense not to have this in both formats. Not one game has this limitation.
  11. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Most games you aren't playing in alpha before they've finished optimizations on the engine. The week prior to alpha the default planet took ~6gb of RAM and >2gb of VRAM. We've managed to drop it significantly in a short time, but for a while it was questionable if a 32bit OS would be able to run the game at all for alpha.

Note, 32bit is coming. Mac and Linux is being worked on at the moment, 32 bit Windows is coming after that.
  12. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

You guys should really shout that out on steam as its not a normal barrier for any real game.
  13. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We call it out a few times on the Steam page.
  14. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Seriously, stop demanding things. It's your own fault that you missed. You apparantly also missed the giant ITS IN ALPHA (too bad there's no blink tag here :mrgreen: ) message.

Which means the game is not finished yet. Which means, alot of features aren't there yet. Which means, there are tons of bugs still. And which means, there's no 32bit version yet.

Thank you and have a nice day.
  15. nightrunxx

nightrunxx New Member

Chill bro. I am not on here demanding my money back. I am not on here yelling and screaming about the cost of the game like 100's of others. Just bringing up an issue I had that kinda sucks for me, and that will be an issue for many others.
  16. kcaldero37

kcaldero37 New Member

i bought ur 90 dollar game im running windows 8 64 bit and the game wont even launch on steam start menu doesnt even pop im running every other game out there just fine except this piece
  17. kcaldero37

kcaldero37 New Member

and also means if i pay 90 dollars for a game regardless of its an alpha i expect the game to at least run
  18. shockness

shockness New Member

I have 64 bit, good processor, graphic card, all i need is in my pc, but i can't run it through steam, when i try to run it through the local files it says that im missing d3dx9_43.dll , I reainstalled several times and still not working, any suggestions? :evil:
  19. 0xccc

0xccc New Member

Reinstall/Install directx :)
  20. shockness

shockness New Member

As I said, I've already reinstalled couple of times, and where do i install directX?