Wall Priority.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Brokenshakles, June 15, 2013.

1. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Hey, combat units currently prioritize walls over defensive towers, making it so you can effectively give an enourmous amount of hp to your towers by scattering single wall sections about them. This is currently gamebreaking, as it allows for a nearly impenetrable defense on the cheap. Please make combat units prioritize defensive structures over other types of structures.
  2. RCIX

RCIX Member

Walls tend to be pretty much useless if their bonuses aren't enforced. And it's hard to use hitboxes to enforce their benefit as that would generally block the turrets they're protectin from being fired on.
  3. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

I was wondering about the walls, as most of the units in this game can shoot over them, and most of the structures are tall enough to tower over them, so i don't know how useful they could be.

Although i guess once they work out how to stop the land units from going through the ocean walls would be much more useful for stalling assaults from advancing through a valley or something similar.
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

The terrain is just to flat for walls to be actually functional right now.

Walls work really great when placed at the edge of an plateau or hill as they offer complete protection against any LoS-based ammunition. They also work great if you wanna place a few artillery units behind a wall to protect them from other direct fire units.

However, walls are NOT supposed to work against artillery or maybe even rockets.
  5. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

I just seem them as dragons teeth, useful for slowing and bottlenecking land units.

Using them as actual walls seems a little medieval.
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Aren't rockets more of a direct fire weapon?
  7. veta

veta Active Member

That's how I feel as well. For a while it seemed like they were interested in adding high anti-artillery walls but judging by the current artillery fire-arcs that seems pretty impossible.
    Last edited: June 15, 2013
  8. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Current artillery is pretty much broken.

Well, it does work as intended in that it actually selects the less difficult firing angle from the two possible alternatives (quadratic equation, two possible solutions), but there is a good reason why real life artillery WON'T do that: Recoil.
    This issue will probably resolve itself once the flexibility of the weapon joint has been reduced in such manner that it only ever will be able to target upwards while firing. Either that, or when it starts using a LoS test BEFORE choosing one of the two possible arcs. Might lead to strange situations though when the artillery decides to constantly switch between high and low arc because the situation constantly changes. So better prefer high firing ark anyway.
    Last edited: June 15, 2013
  9. chjees

chjees New Member

Considering the game is in Alpha i think they still got lots of work left to do on walls :p.

Mechanically they should protect against direct fire attacks IMO.

I hope they make them work like these from Age of Empires 3 eventually.
    [​IMG]
  10. veta

veta Active Member

My thought was T1 walls are expendable and impede movement (dragons teeth) while T2 walls provide actual fortification and fire protection
  11. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Thats all beside the point, walls that dont restrict access shouldnt be prioritized by combat units, it makes no sense. Combat units should always prioritize things that are capable of killing them over things that just sit there inertly. Its just a bit of common sense. I have no problem with walls that work, but this current implementation is broken.
  12. Ralith

Ralith Member

Seconded. Walls that block direct fire make sense, either as the only wall type or as a T2 wall type, but they absolutely should not be directly targeted by anything short of an 'attack ground' command. Hell, they shouldn't even show up on radar. Perhaps they could be implemented as CSG operations on the terrain instead of units?