Steam key switch over?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by liamdawe, June 14, 2013.

1. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Just wandering what the hold up is on changing over our keys from uber to Steam exactly? Is it a hard process to do as I see a lot of devs doing it but not heard of issues with it before.

For me it is a major annoyance since the Linux build is live on Steam before I as a $90 backer got a copy of it (I know it's because of the launcher). If I had waited and not backed then I would have actually had my copy sooner :/

I feel a bit let down by this and I personally think Uber needs to communicate more on what is happening in one central place rather than news being spread across different employee's twitter accounts.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Just building the web UI etc to do it in our store. I just walked over and checked on it and it should be soon.
  3. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

The converter is up, the same place where you get your game key. Dosen't look like it's quite working yet though (getting an error when trying to login after using it)
  4. neutrino

Can you describe your error and the process in more detail?

Did you get a steam key and the game downloaded from steam ok?

Did you then link your steam account to your ubernet account?
  5. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Here's a ticket about it: http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/inde ... sk_id=1152
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  6. neutrino

You never had the game before though right? I'm fairly certain this is a linux specific issue. I think the issue is something to do with ssl stuff.

Can you boot into windows and try it?
  7. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

I've had the game before, backed the kickstarter

I have activated it in Windows in the past, trying to use the game through wine/VM. Could the activation have been reset since I converted to steam?

I don't have a Windows partition. I could try installing Steam in a VM and activating it there, but would like to be able to see if this bug is fixed (so others don't run into this).

One thing, does the game itself handle the activation or does the launcher do it? If the launcher does it, that would be a problem seeing that the Linux version dosen't have a launcher.
  8. neutrino

I think the issue is that you need to link your steam account but the linux version isn't letting you login to do that because of steam overlay issues on linux. Try activating on windows first.
  9. theggman

theggman Member

I have successfully converted and activated my Steam key, however now the standalone ubernet launcher says my account is not activated for PA. I can however, login fine using Steam.
  10. neutrino

Have you played the game once on steam beforehand? That process should make the launcher work again. If not let me know and we'll take this to the next level.
  11. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

This is also an issue on OSX. I had a Kickstarter Alpha key that I'd not yet used (only have OSX). Saw the option to switch on the website (uberstore) to switched to the steam key.

Steam happily accepted the Key and downloaded and installed the OSX client.

The client starts correctly however when I go to login through the client I get the Error message:
    Title has not be Activated
  12. theggman

theggman Member

Ah, yes that was the issue. Also when I first logged in on Steam "Ubernet Games" was greyed out. Now that I've re-logged and started a game that issue has disappeared.
  13. neutrino

And you are using the same ubernet account for the steam version? Or do you have another account?
  14. theggman

theggman Member

Yes, same Ubernet account. I logged in with my existing ubnetnet account, it asked me if I wanted to connect it to Steam, I said yes.
  15. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Didn't work. I linked with a Windows VM, but when I went to Linux, it still gives the same error
  16. neutrino

When I looked at your account my brain exploded because I was typing theeggman instead of theggman and they both exist.
  17. neutrino

Try nuking steam.txt so it just runs like a launcher build.

Just as an FYI the linux version is still not ready for primetime so there will likely be numerous issues to work through like this.
  18. theggman

theggman Member

That's a shame really, I actually meant to sign up with theeggman, I miss typed my name.. its interesting how popular it is ;)
  19. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Deleting steam.txt made it so I could actually login. Thanks!

I'm aware, happy to assist in finding issues if wanted :)

Was able to start a game and create a match (just with bots). Seems to be working ok so far.

One thing I noticed is you can't click on units or buildings directly, instead have to box them in (hold down mouse). Wasn't sure if that was excepted or not
  20. neutrino

As I said the linux version is still REALLY raw. Since we can't login to steam with it right now it's also broken for everyone.

We are also rolling out a tarball version downloadable from our site (doesn't have auto update like steam though).