PA is #3 on Steam TopSellers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neapolitanfrenchfrie, June 14, 2013.

1. D3adm0nk3y

D3adm0nk3y Member

I'd doubt PA would beat a Witcher Sale (Kerbal Is pretty good from what I've heard, and it's on sale. So this is pretty good :D)
  2. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I would be curious to how much revenue steam version has/is generating so far. Must be pretty decent.
  3. felipec

felipec Active Member

Congratulations Uber!
  4. antillie

antillie Member

PA and the Witcher are totally different games aimed at different parts of the gaming market. I think it would be difficult to compare the two fairly.
  5. thaplague

thaplague Member

I don't even want to look at steam forums. I don't think they grasp the concept of supporting a game. Oh well "haters gonna hate." ;)
  6. Baleur

Baleur Member

People always say this, yet it's not true.
    Gamers have 1 common pool resource to spend on games. Money.
    Hence, every game can be compared to every other, when it comes to sales.
    If gamer X buys The Witcher, perhaps he/she won't or can't buy PA. Simple.
    One can't really be simple minded to say that if someone buys The Witcher they won't be interested in PA, because somehow there's a preconcieved notion that people who buy games of one genre doesnt care about other genres.

For that reason it very much is possible to compare even say a racing game and a grand strategy title, because it is the overall quality of the product that decides which gets the money from the potential customer. Of course depending on his genre preferences too.

But it's just funny how people say you can't compare games of different genre, when we all use one single resource to buy games. It's like comparing apples to oranges, sure they're different, but when you stand in the shops deciding between them, you only care about which you want at that moment, not about fair comparisons.
  7. antillie

antillie Member

Not every genre appeals to the same audience. Some people can't stand shooters. Other people can't stand RPGs. Other people like both. So while the money pool is shared the target market may not be.
  8. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

He, not so fast. I had the collectors edition of The Witcher (not the Polish one with the necklace though but just the German one :( ) AND I preordered PA at the 90$ mark.

Well, I can only afford 1-2 100$-titles per year, but that across all genres.
  9. acey195

acey195 Member

Nice Job on reaching #3, Kerbal space program also has some similarities with PA (in terms of subject matter, not on terms of gameplay of course), did I say really like KSP :p?

Hopefully they will add this case of events to the documentary as well, I'm sure Uber expected some backslash, but I don't know if they expected a poopstorm of this magnitude.
    It seemed like a very vocal minority felt entitled to a bit more conventional pricing and worried fans putting up forum thread after forum thread on the topic. In the end it seemed like Uber let it happen for the most part, but I am interested how they actually coped with this.

I am happy Uber did not let down the core fans (alpha-kickstarter backers and pre-steam-preorders) even though I am only in beta.
  10. dbx125

dbx125 New Member

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

IM going on the Steam forums this second and searching for threads with the phrase "top seller", so I can see all these ****ing trolls run to the hills while screaming justifications.

LMAO!
  11. mugumaster

mugumaster New Member

Before all of you get too excited:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/233250#48h

Only 142 players at peak ... at the moment there aren't any big games on steam. A few sold copys are enough to be currently in the top 10.

PS: Before you flame me I joined this forum on the 7 december 2011. I'm not one of the flaming steam kiddys
  12. schockster

schockster New Member

If 5 guys buy PA(90$) its = 450$
    If 20 guys buy xy(20$) its = 400$

But PA still will be above xy, because 450$ is more than 400$.

PS: Sorry for this bad explanation, but its 2:00am and I have a lack of english atm :D.
  13. antillie

antillie Member

Schockster is quite correct. I don't have access to the sales numbers but to get to #3 overall on Steam has to require a non trivial number of sales. And at $90 a pop that's an awful lot of money.
  14. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Looks like the steam top sellers list is based on amount of money not amount of sales. The more you know.. :mrgreen:
  15. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Considering it's ahead of the skyrim release, which is 60, that still means that the number of sales must be pretty darn big.

In other news, it beat skyrim? I mean, yah, it's been out a while before this new release, but dang. Kudos Uber, Kudos.
  16. carryableyarn

carryableyarn Active Member

I doubt the chart counts all the people on the UberLauncher,

Just goes to show that any publicity is good publicity.
    Anyone else find it funny that all the people are trashing the price by relating this to minecraft's business model, when Notch supported this game?