why pay 90$ for the pre-access?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kameyojodido, June 14, 2013.

1. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, I didnt find the answer so:
    why pay now 90$ for the pre release (alpha)? if I wait to september and pay then 40$ I will have total access?
    I dont know I'm explaining myself.
    I pay now 90$ for a buggy, non-complete game, but in september I can pay 40$ for the full game? whats the point?
    I dont undersetand the benefits of paying now more than double. normally the pre-relase/alpha is chipper because is a pre-relase ,non-complete, buggy version.
    So, what are the benefits of buying the pre-access version?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This is explained all over the place.
    The alpha was 90$ on Kickstarter. People payed 90$ back then to get alpha, those people made the game possible. It would be quite rude to them if Uber would start selling of alpha cheaper now.

Think of the price in relation to the time: You get the game now you pay 90$, you get it in 3 month you pay 60$, you get it in 6 month you pay 40$. The price decreases, which is pretty normal for games actually. The earlier you want to play the more expensive it is.

EDIT:
    So your benefit is that you can play the game right now and you don't have to wait for 6 month. Sure the game is incomplete, but at least I have already fun playing it and it is quite a lot of fun to participate in the development by giving feedback and seeing how the developers take everything written by the fans seriously.
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  3. antillie

antillie Member

Learn to search please. Also please think about what the purpose of an alpha is, what the term exclusionary pricing means, and what a collectors edition is. And please try to stop being an idiot.
  4. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

The benefit of playing the alpha is mainly directed to the developers, since you are tested their game. If you're expecting to be able to play a finished product right now, you will be disappointed.
  5. cola_colin

@antille: Don't be so rough on kameyojodido. He came here to ask and didn't just write garbage on steam or metacritic. I think that's a pretty good behavior.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you pay in September you will get Beta access. Release will be available in December.

In traditional model you paying for complete game and it's developers/publishers usually only care about mass market and sales. They don't usually answer you on forums, they don't make live streams, they keep everything under NDA.

Unfortunately mass market doesn't need PC-only cross platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) RTS games. Fans who give money on Kickstarter and make pre-orders funded game development. Both fans and developers love this kind of RTS games, and actually developers make game of their dream. But they also listen for our feedback in development process, so they developing game for us too.

So when you pay 90$ it's not about just "game key", it's about participate in game development. If you not passionate about smashing robots RTS you shouldn't pay for it.
  7. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

uhumm ok I undesrtand that. but isnt rude that in september people will have the same product as the ones that payed more than double fo the game when it wasnt yet completed, with bugs etc (alpha version)? :roll:

so, at the end, everyone will have the same prodcut, you only pay more if you want to play now beacuse you cant wait? thats all? :mrgreen:

if this way works for them theres no problem :D
  8. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

wow I see haha fanboys attack xD easy on me, I only asked.
    I didnt insult anyone @antillie you could be more polite.

thx for defendig me @Cola_Colin :D

Im not a noob player if thats what you think, and is not my first time buying an aplha version etc. Thats why I asked. Normally aplha has a low price, the beta a medium price, and full realease high price.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

In 3 years you probably can buy it on Humble Bundle for 1$, yeah, it will be same game. ;)
  10. cola_colin

That's a part of it. You also have to consider that the high price ensures that people buying the game are serious supporters of it. The game currently needs productive feedback and bugreports and only dedicated fans can offer that. Filtering out dedicated fans is easily done by a high price indeed.
  11. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

the thing is that I LOOOVEE that xD and this game seems awesome! I dont understand why I didnt hear of it before... I dont know how I miss it.
  12. antillie

antillie Member

I wasn't trying to be flat out mean but this has been answered in at least 10 threads in the past few days. There is a clear explanation on the Steam page and in the Uber store. I am sorry if I upset you. I can be a bit rough around the edges at times.
  13. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

The same thing happened to me aswell. I didn't hear of the game until after the kickstarter.
    I was very happy that they still opened the possibility to buy the game with the same goodies as during the kickstarter campaign after it.
    Since TA was a memorable part of my childhood, I went for the most expensive edition :)
  14. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

lol true xD

thats true too, but for exampe, Minecraft had a litte pre-alpha/alpha price and a big community with a lot of bug reporting etc. And my experience in others pre-release communities is the same. lower price at the begining beacuse is a buggy non-complete release.
    thats why I asked. I was wondering if paying now will be anyhow different, like free acces for future dlcs etc
  15. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

Im also a TA fan :mrgreen:
    maybe Ill buy PA now :roll:
  16. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

no hard feelings ;)
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I'd imagine the price for developing Minecraft was MUCH lower than it is for a game like Planetary Annihilation, which is also built from the ground up.
  18. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

I dont doubt that. but based on Minecraft price for example (or any other indie game dev) if the price for the full version is 40$, beta should cost like 30$, and alpha like 20$. is only an example. you understand that point of view right? I understand that PA is a larger, bigger, more complexe game, and his development has anything similar.

now Im more informed, thx all! hope seeing you around smashing planets and solar systems.
  19. antillie

antillie Member

I understand this point of view. Unfortunately it is based on a horrible misconception and a set of expectations that are very unrealistic for many games.

I am glad that you understand PA now and I hope that you thoroughly enjoy the game.
  20. kameyojodido

kameyojodido New Member

this question (not my post, any other with the same question answered should do the work) should be in a sticky post. the few ones that enter the forums, should have this type of things answered in a first view topic xD like that there will be less "trash-topics" like this one :mrgreen: