Solution for the Steam issue

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Nicb1, June 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuramabingyi

kuramabingyi New Member

As a person who was, at first, put off from buying the early access on Steam, I can understand their frustrations.

Kickstarter backers funded to start the development of the game, and those who donated a certain tier of cash were rewarded appropriately. Steam Early Access, however, is not Kickstarter. Instead of donating to fund the start of development, they're paying an extra $40 -- on top of the $40 the game is being priced at -- just to access the Alpha and Beta, whereas a triple-A title like Arma III, which is also on Early Access, is selling the game at a discounted price of $23 -- less than half of its projected retail price, with access to both the Alpha and the Beta stages before release.

So when you compare the two, it should be easy to understand where the frustrations lie.

This is actually something that should happen, if it were possible. Clearly laying out the different tiers of purchases on the Steam page would probably fix the whole situation.

Although, not as...eloquently worded as spinwire put it.
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  2. RuneGrey

RuneGrey New Member

Unfortunately this appears to be against Early Accesses' policies, from what I understand. You're not allowed to put up preorders for a game in Early Access.

Hence why they need to ditch that program and just go to regular preorders.
  3. cybran89

cybran89 New Member

But saying "oh it got backed on kickstarter so we shouldn't have to pay for alpha" is just like saying " you got backed on kickstarter, so you've already been payed, why should I have to, you should just give out free copies." If you are incapable of understanding, and all you can do is throw an online fit about the price because you can't afford it, then don't buy it. You have a choice, either buy the game, or wait for it to get cheaper. Everything on steam does, and the first thing it says on the page is it's alpha and the price will decrease in time. Either way, just don't attack the makers of a game who have been fair to their community.
  4. antillie

antillie Member

Except that PA needs the exclusionary pricing to keep the number of alpha testers down. Just because the people writing Arma III choose to sell their early access for super cheap doesn't mean that anyone else has to.

Its not Uber's fault if the Steam community has the wrong expectations of what Steam early access is because not all devs do things the same way. It is the responsibility of Steam users to be familiar with what Steam early access is and how it works. Valve even has a nice FAQ about it here. It even mentions pricing.

And the $90 PA bundle comes with all kinds of extras on top of the actual game. People can pre order PA for only $40 if they don't want alpha access, the art book,the soundtrack, or the other bonus stuff.

Suggesting that Uber needs to do something to "fix" the situation is just silly. Nobody is forcing people to buy $90 PA alpha access. In fact with PA the #3 top selling title on Steam at the moment I'd say everything is working out just fine.
  5. juberberry

juberberry New Member

Wow, antillie

You are the worst public relations person I have ever seen. At least I assume you have some sort of official role with the company as a moderator.

You should be fired for the travesty that are your replies.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm just going to start nuking these threads with impunity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.