This alpha access at premium on Steam is hurting you

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sandrothemaster, June 14, 2013.

1. antillie

antillie Member

I'm sorry but you fail at marketing. Please come back when you understand the purpose of an alpha and what the term exclusionary pricing means.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

$90 IS FOR GALACTIC EDITION. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO ALPHA ACCESS: IT IS THE FULL GAME ON RELEASE, BETA AND ALPHA ACCESS, ARTBOOK, SOUNDTRACK, THETA COMMANDER AND OTHER LITTLE BONUSES.

Please copy-paste everywhere

I'm not going to plaster this on any more threads, if anyone was wondering.
  3. leewatson

leewatson New Member

The community is better off with out them. I doubt anyone of them have the maturity to respond back with actual feedback about the game without just causing more grief on these forums.

Let them rant and scream and ignore them. There really not worth the effort in trying to talk sense to them.

You can bet many of them will probably buy the game come the release...
  4. extraspectre

extraspectre New Member

Steam users are vindictive little buggers.

When the price drops, they will be back speaking out against the game at every opportunity when a new person asks questions. You really don't want the general steam userbase to have a negative impression of the game or developers (ignorant though it may be).

At the moment they are rallying behind the slippery-slope fallacy that if this game succeeds there will suddenly be alot more early-access titles with hugely expensive price-tags.

I'm a backer, and I want to see the game succeed, I won't hold it against Uber to make a compromise here, I think it's in all of our best interests not to be seen as a Villain, or to let that label/image/impression solidify over the coming months.
  5. antillie

antillie Member

While replacing the $90 Galactic Edition on Steam with the $40 Combat Edition might help I think that there is a serious danger that the streisand effect would only make things worse if this was done.

Let them rally around their slippery-slope fallacy all they want. It won't change anything.
  6. theggman

theggman Member

Think I said this in another thread, I'll say it here again publicly. From what I've gathered thus far, there simply is no way to please the Steam community. If it were cheaper on Steam, they likely would all buy it and complain about how incomplete the 'alpha' version of the game is without understanding what an alpha really is. Being a Steam user myself we are used to seeing independent game developers list games for really cheap on Steam especially if its an alpha or beta. So, seeing the expensive $90 price tag for an alpha is quite nuts for us folks over there.
  7. antillie

antillie Member

Since they won't be happy no matter what you do the best thing is to ignore them. The smart ones will understand and the rest will buy it when it is released.
  8. evangelion03

evangelion03 New Member

I think that bringing this game to steam was really a bad idea. After reading some of the threads in the steam-pa-forum, i can´t belive what sort of a collectiv stupidity is gathering there. You can´t even reason with them, say one positiv word about pa or that the 90$ actually help with the founding of this game even after the kickstarter-campagne, and you will be declared as the new enemy of humankind. Its pretty insane. What is really bad about this s*itstorm is, that there might/will be people reading this, who wanted the game and were willing to pay for the final version or maybe even for the 60$ beta, but its easy to get a negative opinion on this game, if the only thing you read is the steam-forum.
    I myself waited till the alpha started and bought now the 90$ packet to support this game and the devs, but it hurts to see what is happening right now at steam.
    Either shut down the steam-version or at least make it visually clear (so that even the dumbest will get it), that this is game-funding with alpha access as a one bonus of many for having supported the devs and their project. As for now, the steam release is only bad PR for PA and Uber and they definitly do not deserve it.
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  9. theggman

theggman Member

Yep, that is the best thing to do as there will always be a set of complainers out there. Not all Steam users are idoits, but there are certainly quite a few that show up on the forums over there.
  10. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

"Pricing of individual games may change over time
    Some developers will start by offering a discount for buying early while others will charge a premium, depending on their goals and the level of commitment and feedback they desire from Early Access customers."

From Steam Early Access FAQ

The whiny people just don't understand Steam Early Access.
  11. jseah

jseah Member

Do we actually have to worry about this? After all, the kickstarter gave Uber the needed money to develop the game.

Even if the game doesn't do as well as it possibly could, it's not like Uber is going to go bankrupt because PA didn't ship a million copies.
  12. oraphim

oraphim New Member

I have been waiting for PA since I first stumbled across the Steam Store Page for it some time ago. I am like the concept of the whole damn solar system being my battleground instead of just planets. I see the potential for adding spatial anomalies such as nebulae that hinder combat or makes things difficult.

But once I saw that price for early access I immediately closed steam and restarted my laptop to ensure it wasn't an error on my part. Once I was positive, I promptly remove PA from my wishlist and told my friend about the sheer insanity of it.

90 is something I pay for Legendary or Collector's Edition where I am getting a whole bunch of goodies and keepsakes that aren't going to be released with the general game. and even then it is about 70-80. The last time I payed more then 63 dollars for a game was Elder Scroll: Skyrim for my Xbox 360. Why? Because I have been a fan of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind when the friend previously mentioned introduced me to it. Not to mention I am a fan of the developer. I played Oblivion and saw that the developer was making changes in the direction I like so I read up on Skyrim. I took the entire weekend it came out off from work so I could enjoy it. Last time payed more then 30 dollars for a game on Steam was Prison Architect. Why? Because the game appealed to me. I like the concept and to be honest it wasn't outside of my budget and there was nothing else that interest me coming out soon.

I don't mind supporting a developer. But the only games to your credit is Super MNC and MNC. Two games I have never found to be interesting in the slightest. I don't speak for a vast majority I can only speak for myself. But if you want me to buy this game I am going to need you to knock off aleast 70 dollars. Because there are games by developer i know make games I like and are asking for a lot cheaper.
  13. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Luckily for you, the game costs 40, not 90.
  14. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Doesn't seem to be hurting them that much...
    [​IMG]
  15. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

16. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

"Buy more hats."
    Last Edited by GabeN :lol:

It's sad that they aren't real edits.
  17. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

dude, the early access is PART of a special edition of the game. Base game is $40
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Sounds like Exactly what the [urlhttps://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4]Galactic Edition[/url] is, which is also what the Steam Early Access version is too.

Golly, what a Coincidence!

Mike