This is unfortunate...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by noaveragejoe, June 14, 2013.

?

Did you know what you were buying?

Poll closed June 19, 2013.
  1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    97.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

The interblog mob is in full swing now....

http://kotaku.com/theres-a-90-steam-game-and-people-are-freaking-out-513318065

Various forums are in allout war over this and there is no need.

This saddens me as the Dev's have been very clear on this from the get go. I would say the frustration of this surge of bad press will force Uber to give kickstarter perks to the Steam crowd to keep the peace.

But i hope this dies down quick and gets back to helping the game grow with dev/community colaberation. But let me ask this, If a steam user wants the perks of PA through steam and the kickstarter add-ons, can they not buy the galactic edition from the store below

https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4

and change the key to install the steam client which will retain your kickstarter perks and install the steam version?. Maybe i'm wrong here but that seems entirely possible to me.

As for the pricing i knew what is doing when i paid 90 and am still happy with it, this is the first game i have kickstarted i paid early for the retail game and then and extra 30-40 for the alpha/beta access. I think this may be no longer about winning a debate and more so about having an argument for the sake of it.

Tensions are high and off the cuff remark could hurt your image.

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryan...9ii2/question_about_the_steam_release/cai8qpn

I would just say to Uber to be careful of the replies to the public as it could just be fuel for the fire.

[​IMG]

All the above is my opinion.

Regards
    Joe
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

It's the internet, such things are never about having a honest debate but about shouting at each other. :mrgreen:

I just want to clarify one thing, the version one currently gets at steam for 90$ is the Galactic edition, so they get all the things in it.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I am BulletMagnet, and I approve of the opening post.
  4. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Good points, OP.

Just one thing- the steam version is galactic edition. They only recently updated the page to say that.
  5. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

Right you are!. I had a feeling they would not have left that out for steam users. So this is just about price point. but was a non issue until it came to steam.
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Uber will have to be careful with what they say indeed, to placate the masses.

Unfortunately, I only have a few words, and they may get me in trouble. **** them. **** them and their uneducated, greedy whining.

It really angers me at how the Internet is treating this game. Argh.
  7. deso88

deso88 Member

Had to be said.
  8. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

A string of censored swears or a hidden CD key i cant tell :lol:

But seriously this was not forced it was totally optional to pay 90.

Maybe if they put all the price options on steam,

-Combat
    -Warfare
    -Galactic
    -Cosmic

It will help settle everyone down a bit? is that possible?.
  9. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

A string of censored swears or a hidden CD key i cant tell :lol:

But seriously this was not forced it was totally optional to pay 90.

Maybe if they put all the price options on steam,

-Combat
    -Warfare
    -Galactic
    -Cosmic

It will help settle everyone down a bit? is that possible?.
  10. Faark

Faark New Member

I can totally understand those ****storm. Some of them might really do not know what they were buying, but that does not change the fact that charing players to test a game is wrong. And that is what they are basically doing... saying "we are so Uber that we want additional about 2x $20 from everyone who wants to test our unfinished game".

I'm fine with giving beta access to higher kickstarter levels, since back then it is more about actually getting a project to start. But now we have an almost finished product & the necessary funds to finish it should be on account anyway. So today you only pay for testing.

So why the hell are you selling alpha/beta access? Do you need testers? There are other solutions about it... you could give more keys to backers with that high pledge levels, so they can share them. You could raffle keys, like all those other (especially f2p) games do (as long as it isn't to easy to get those keys). But here you are collecting money...

Charging money to test a software should never happen, no matter where. Shame on you Uber for supporting that trend.

(PS: Before anyone asks... I'm one of the $15 pledge level guys and can live without participating on that alpha/beta)
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

You're not just paying to test the game. You are paying for alpha access, for developer interaction, for modding potential, for your suggestions to make it into the game, for all of the rewards of the $90 Kickstarter pledge tier . . . all despite the fact the Kickstarter ended eight months ago.
  12. antillie

antillie Member

You really don't get it do you. Please use the search function. It has been explained many times. Until you understand why the pricing scheme is what it is please stop posting stupidity.
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

a solution to steam problem:

Dont call it "Alpha Access - 90$".

Call it: "support the game to finish more features and stretch goals fast (also grant access to closed alpha)" - 90$
  14. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

Hi Faark,

I will approach your comment carefully.

In my view that assessment is just wrong i paid for early access to the game because im impatient and wanted the awesomeness now not later. This allowed me to play and give feedback on features and ideas to improve the game. Could i have done this from devblogs? yes i could but i enjoy this so much more.

I could have simply paid for beta and retail key but i didn't. and jeez man did you see Ubers reaction to people who wanted to do this?? they were practically shouting this is alpha are you mad! this unfinished its raw and bare-bones gameplay.

This was a choice.

Again this was a choice to a sole option. It was made clear to people what they could expect and given optional packages to suite their interest. If they did not know from the product description dev comment/blogs/news, confirmation email etc than this is not the devs fault.

A person is responsible for his/her own actions and restraint with their own credit card.

Its almost finished? since when?. even so it allows further development of the game and you are buying both the alpha/beta/retail access. you are just playing throughout development its your choice to test and contribute giving feedback.

Im sure they do have internal testing. Not every game HAS to supply alpha access we as gamers wanted this and those who did payed to play. I am pretty sure they are not gold leafing the entire office.

[​IMG]

They have shown allot of commitment to this game and those who paid and the backlash ensures they will think twice before doing this again.

Some previous games deserved this kind of response like "WarZ" but i honestly think Uber have proved themselves to be great Dev's and i look forward to the full retail release of PA.

This is not a fanboy rant just my own opinion.

Regards
    Joe
  15. antillie

antillie Member

Actually if you watch the live streams it is quite obvious that their office is quite modest. And the level of communication Uber has maintained with their backers and the wider PA community has been exemplary.

In fact the whole development process has been so transparent I'd say that PA is a pile of text files away from being an open source project.
  16. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

$90 IS FOR GALACTIC EDITION. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO ALPHA ACCESS: IT IS THE FULL GAME ON RELEASE, BETA AND ALPHA ACCESS, ARTBOOK, SOUNDTRACK, THETA COMMANDER AND OTHER LITTLE BONUSES.

Please copy-paste everywhere
  17. Faark

Faark New Member

@antillie:
    Thanks for welcoming me in this forum. I have read a few threads (here and somewhere else) and still don't "get it". So thanks for not calling me stupid and providing a link to one of those many threads you mentioned that actually made understand your point (not).

@kryovow / gorbles:
    So, where are the new stretch goals? They already promised to full game, so any feature announced back in the kickstarter days should make it into the game anyway. That does especially include mod support. I'm new here, and have not found any thread mentioning even more features, so a link would be nice. Sure i can understand that they want more money... everyone always want more money, thats kind of how this world works. But that doesn't have to be sth good!

@noaveragejoe:
    Hey Joe,
    thanks for your detailed comment.

There is an entire Early Access category on steam that would all fit into that category. Non of them dares to offer the game + alpha/beta-Access for much more than their finished product will cost. Lot of them actually offer currently offer an discount. Isn't what Uber is doing some kind of spitting into their faces? "You stupid indi devs should take money for it!".

Also having to paying to have a higher chance of my ideas/feedback being recognized looks kind of stupid for me. All developers, especially those for games who are still in unfinished stages & active development, should take valid feedback seriously. No matter how much the individual giving that feedback has payed.

I can't argue about that "pay more to have more direct dev contact", but selling this to everyone now kind of de-valuates the original kickstarter pledge levels as well, since more of them always means your individual voice will be less recognized.

As kickstarters we are some kind of investors. And currently it publicly looks like my money helped furthering go pay for test versions, what i am definitively against. So yes, i guess they deserve that **** storm. At least for communicating it in a wrong way.

You also had some statements into a "free market" direction. Sure, the market will regulate it. But those ****storms are a part of this process when doing or communicating it wrong.

Regards, Faark

@kvalheim: This is not really true. According to the uber store, the only differences from the basic $40 version the the current $90 one are "Beta Access", "Alpha Access" and a "Digital Artbook". So they are charing for stuff not mentioned by you and the shop, or the Artbook is actually 50 bucks worth. I hope it isn't, since my pledge level did not contain it^^
  18. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

Double posted instead of editing apologies :oops:
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  19. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

Hey mate,

I'm not gonna ear bash you until i hear you say what i wanna hear. If you are unhappy with this that is cool to each their own opinion (No bitchiness behind that).

[​IMG]

You are dug in deep, i do not want to just keep at you otherwise im a hypocrite going back on what i said in my op.

Hopefully it works out to the benefit of all involved.

Regards
    Joe
  20. antillie

antillie Member

Thanks for being a rational person who actually makes an attempt to understand something before posing knee jerk reactionary drivel.

Seriously, stop being stupid and try to understand the purpose of an alpha and the term exclusionary pricing.