This is Bad PR (From Reddit)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by heyhellowhatsnew, June 14, 2013.

1. heyhellowhatsnew

heyhellowhatsnew New Member

I hate Reddit, it's full of MRAs and man-children, but having one of your devs do this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryannihi ... se/cai8qpn

Is incredibly dumb. Seriously.

Either say nothing or be nice. This is your first impression to the gaming world and you keep shooting yourselves in the foot.
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Not another one of those threads.

Seriously, people want devs to be open and talk to the community and when a dev is open and talks honestly, oh no, suddenly PR becomes much more important again.

A dev has to take countless abuse by random trolls, but stating his own position? How dares he!

The community this game needs and the community this game deserves will be totally ok with what Neutrino said. Everybody else? Tough luck.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'm seriously considering signing up to Reddit, just to vote up Neutrino's post.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I personally think that Jon Mavor and Garat should be applauded for being completely honest and open about the subject, and sticking to their principles.

That thread was filled with schoolchildren who are just upset that Mummy and Daddy won't give them $90 to spend on a game to play over the summer.

Uber explained why the game is priced that way yet they continued to berate them.

The same people will buy the game at release for $40; Uber shouldn't lose any sleep over it.
  5. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

Pfffff who cares, if the game is any good people will play it. I'm sure they devs have a thick enough skin not to cry themselves to sleep when someone says something nasty about them.

The fact of the matter is these people want to play the game but as it's too expensive for them to play "right now!" they rage about it. If no one wanted it, no one would be bitching about the price.
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

And this is why I like the $90 price point.

It prevents children coming in and spamdestroying these forums.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This is also a positive point.
  8. beniesk

beniesk New Member

Thanks, I agree, and I really was afraid to say this aloud :?
  9. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Gamers in general are just always looking for something to hate. Can't be positive now, can we?
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Agree. If price will be set low there will be same amount of complaining about price.
  11. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Being a **** to stupid people is okay if you ask me. People are simply butthurt cause they have never seen an Alpha game priced like this.

So far I have seen every news website(except RPS but those writers are jokers) defending the PA Alpha price so there is really nothing to worry about,.

Remember guys, people are dogs.
  12. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

While I agree that alphas are usually cheaper and get more expensive towards release (arma 3 for instance) and the argument that you are playing more to test a game for free out of your own time does have some merit (from a view point of a someone who is not a fan of the game who wants it to be the best it can be) I don't see why ppl are raging so hard.

"It's too expensive!"

Just wait 6 months ffs and it will be rather cheap at $40. If you did not know about it till it popped up on steam then you can't really care that much or you would have heard about it long before.

Personally I would rather none of the entitled mouth breathers got the game, but I need someone to crush on the ladder.
  13. Maruun

Maruun Member

I love how he responded to the "EA insult" :D just made my dayl.
  14. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

even RPS wasn't claiming there was anything wrong with the price, they were just stating that it was pretty darn high. which it indeed is.

That's the thing right, it's bloody freaking expensive but as a consumer you have no right to complain about it simpl because that's the system that was decided on by the devs....

While I think setting the $90 price point is the only reasonable thing the devs could have done I don't expect it to sell very well simply because $90 is a lot of money for someone who just wants to play a videogame.
  15. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

That the thing, you don't pay 90 bucks to play a videogame, you pay 90 bucks to test the game and help in the game development working closely with the devs.

If the Alpha was priced 20 bucks then a gajillion kids would buy it and rage all over the Alpha forums with immature comments and it would in no way help the game.
    This way only serious, passionate people who want to test and help develop the game are participating, and that is the goal of this Alpha.
    An RTS needs a lot of bug testing to work properly, this is not a generic FPS, its a revolutionary strategy game thats being made without a publisher or enough staff to properly bug test the game.
    Not to mention it is being released in December which will mean the game was developed in a year.
    Do you know how many revolutionary games were developed in a year?
  16. lynx88

lynx88 New Member

Indeed, their raging all over the Steam forums proves your point.

If they don't want to pay $90 for the Alpha, then they can wait for the final release, simple as that.

I am glad that Uber has kept their integrity intact and not screwing over their backers despite the backlash and PR "shitstorm".
  17. dacite

dacite Member

The entitlement is what is really getting to me. It's almost as if they think they "deserve" the alpha.

I guarantee you all this rage stems from the fact they can't pirate the alpha.
  18. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I too sometimes feel the ground isn't hard enough. Sometimes I think just the act of free falling should hurt, so lazy beatnicks can't hitch a free ride.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Totally agree. People won't understand new model for games been made. They saying "Devs already get 2M on kikstarter! Now they should give their game for free!"...

But when EA sell for them 50$ game with tons of DLC they don't like it too. :D
  20. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

This is exactly the problem, but nobody on the steam forums wants to admit that they would be childish (which they are proving now with their behavior).