What's up with Mac and Linux?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Not much is missing other than distribution and then some platform specific bugs. We are just super under water on manpower and have to do some of this serially. So we have to pick our priorities.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Before alpha started they said about that multiple times. Or you think they know when builds will be ready when they starting kickstarter? ;)

Developers time is missing, Uber is small company. I sure they work hard because they release previous build on Saturday evening.

Again: it's really hard to track down bugs when you launching on three platforms in same time.

I never think that there will be so many people with Windows-related problems, but there is lot of them, really. Problems with .net, directx (used by UI on windowd), sound drivers or just random crashes. And there is tons of cross platform bugs like UI crashes, stuck units, server crashes. It's why they want to find windows and cross-platform bugs and only then start to work with Mac/Linux versions.

So there is simple choice:
    1 - Working windows version, fast updates and other working version in 1-3 weeks after.
    2 - Three broken versions, slow updates and just a tons of flood on bug tracker and forum.
    I'm prefer first one.
  3. rod009

rod009 New Member

They seem to be working to be working in best effort mode. They cannot work on everything at the same time and obviously there are more Windows user.

They released the Windows Alpha "ASAP". It's a good thing. They will do the same with OS X and Linux. Maybe they expected to release the Alpha for all platform but in the end it wasn't possible.

Maybe some people prefer they release it for "all platform" at the same time ? I prefer ASAP mode even if I'm not the first to benefit from it.

Thanks for the work Uber Devs :)
  4. boredmatt

boredmatt New Member

Of course it's silly, was this response really needed? I was simply overemphasizing my excitement. I'll restate my post:

Looking forward to helping debug and play the game I supported on Kickstarter. Can't wait for the mac release.
  5. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Looking forward to seeing the Linux release
  6. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

8. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

It looks like from that thread that the Steam version of the game has Mac & Linux available.

They're currently working on the steam key generator, as well as their launcher for mac & linux
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Maybe things have changed recently. I haven't been paying too much attention - I'm happy with the Windowsy version.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Will explain in detail soon, we are trying to get our Steam key page up for current customers first.

Basically, our pipeline is such that once we started pushing builds to Steam, it was hard to restrict to just one set of bits. The current builds are NOT really playable, but we're working on that. I'll update as soon as the Key exchange page is available for people who really want to see what a SERIOUS alpha looks like. ;-)
  11. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

There's something I don't get; what is the "Launcher"? Is it just some startup script that launches the game or something?
    Why do we need that? :p
  12. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Keeps files up to date, which is particularly useful in alpha with a new build every day or so. Probably the launcher is where you'll set which mods are active when they come, makes sense.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Launcher is only for updating if you play without Steam.
  14. mathnode

mathnode New Member

Just pledged for Beta access. I purchased for Linux. But I will also test on a Macbook Air 11" 2009 (i7, 4GB, HD4000).
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Are you sure you have Macbook Air 2009? It's can't have Intel HD4000 inside.
  16. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Pretty dissapointed Steam users got the Linux and Mac build before backers especially since we cannot change over our keys yet.

Not handled very well that one.
  17. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Bob Berry ‏@ooo27 22m
    @geetarista Soon our site will allow you to exchange your UberNet key for a Steam key. So you can get it via steam or wait for the launcher.
    Details
    Bob Berry ‏@ooo27 22m
    @geetarista Soon meaning within the next few hours. We'll post an announcement when its ready. (The launcher might be a week or so).
    Details
  18. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Thank you bud didn't see that, wish that was posted public. Hopefully tomorrow I can game on Linux!
  19. optica1x

optica1x Member

Any news on 32bit yet?
  20. compholio

compholio New Member

The store option is up! *scrambling to download before you guys notice*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.