just saw the price for steam alpha access and.....

Discussion in 'Support!' started by thetdawg3191, June 13, 2013.

1. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

90$

is this intentional? that's a VERY steep price for acces to an alpha. while it makes me glad that i got alpha access when i did, it seems like an exorbant ammount to ask for from your typical steam user.

does anyone else agree that 90$ is really, REALLY steep?

would love to hear opinions on this, as well as an explanation from staff so i/we can have their input.
  2. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

The kickstarter pledge level to get alpha was also 90 dollars so yeah I'm sure that's intentional.
  3. thetdawg3191

in retrospect, you're right. it WAS the alpha price for kickstarter backers.

however, this could potentially drive away many people on steam who havent heard anything about P.A. up until now.
  4. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

I'm in a stream's chat and people are complaining about the price too but to be honest, nobody is forcing you to buy it...
  5. thetdawg3191

update:

i'm looking at the steam community hub right now. people are taking one look at the price.

and they are FLIPPING OUT

i suppose i could go and try to reason with them... i dont know how much it will help
  6. JagdCrab

JagdCrab New Member

Well, it's an alpha. It you don't want to pay 90$, come back in September, and pay about 40$ for beta, or in December to pay about 25 (or whatever would be price for release).
    If Uber will drop alpha on steam price, then there would be a lot of unhappy early backers.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Then they can wait, at seems like at release the game will be 40$.

Mike
  8. solclo

solclo New Member

I'm not going to bother trying to reason with the steam hivemind. The fact of the matter is, people who want to play the game now will throw down the money and the others will bitch and moan until September or December rolls around.... and then they too will buy the game.
  9. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I knew this was going to happen, it's a pretty big PR disaster tbh.

There was no other choice though other than not release it on steam. Lose lose situation.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This.

Steam Hivemind...
  11. feyder

feyder Member

You can't even reason with them, they're so set in their little ways that they MUST be right, Its frustrating me so much to see people trashing UBER. its like Prison Architect, its more expensive while its in Alpha because they want people who buy Alpha to TRULY TEST.

Mike do your thing, Fix this :p
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

If only it were actually that easy! xD

Mike
  13. subedii

subedii New Member

Haha, wow. 640 comments and counting on just that one post.

EDIT: In 5 minutes it jumped to 720 posts. Good grief, the rage.

EDIT 2:

Looks like the main Planetary Annihilation site just got hammered into oblivion. Not accessible at the moment.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

people are writing 0 point "reviews" on metacritic. I guess I will go there and write a "real" review. Even though it is far too early for that.
  15. Daddie

Daddie Member

To be honnest, I paid for the Alpha access but I do not mind for other to join the Alpha for a lower price BUT only if there is still a "special" status, like the custom commander, showing that I paid more :)

On the other hand, don't think the Steam people are ready to play the Alpha with all the bugs and such. Now they cry about the price, next they cry about the bugs in the Alpha :)
  16. Littletiger

Littletiger New Member

I thought this might happen, in my opinion there should not have been a steam version until release
  17. deso88

deso88 Member

This
  18. feyder

feyder Member

agreeing with that now.
  19. theggman

theggman Member

The Steam crowd is a very interesting one. People have very interesting expectations when buying things there. I'm not at all surprised they're upset seeing an Alpha game for $90 on it.
  20. Littletiger

Littletiger New Member

I am still surprised they have resorted to going to metacritic and giving it 0 reviews based purely on the price