Planetary Annihilation @steam 82.99 Euros

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by abidibladiduda, June 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I did not want to post anymore but: 83 Euros are NOT 90 USD.
    I do not care about preorders but I do care about charging a lot of money just to play the buggy unfinished version and then increasing that by an additional amount.
  2. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I totally understand, the steam prices in europe are also quite different from the ones in the USA... but you can buy the game directly from Uber... again, if you cannot afford the Alpha, don't blame Uber (in your case, you don't ^^)... I am just saying...

People forget that this is a Kickstarter Game, people "pledged" without knowing if it will succeed anyway, often even more money... so a late joiner complaining about a product price... I don't know. I don't go to a car dealer and complain about the price of the Porsche... when I can only afford a 20 year old Ford. ^^
  3. I also do not complain about people paying less for the car I got several months ago.
    Also this is not about wether I can buy it somewhere else or not. It is about ripping people off that buy from steam.
  4. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Why does this argument keep coming up? It's been done and done and done already. Steam prices are higher because Steam wants a cut off the money. Alpha costs more because alpha generates a lot of work for the developers.
  5. dacite

dacite Member

Think of it as supporting the production of the game rather than "buying" alpha access. I would gladly pay 200 euro for a true Sup-com sequel not because I think that's a fair price for a game but to support the Devs who have taken the risk of making a RTS that isn't like starcraft. Paying 90 euro for the alpha + other goodies seems pretty reasonable in this case.

The game itself still costs 40 euro. Just wait until December. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.
  6. alexelxd

alexelxd New Member

'm just putting my point of view that probably many here already tamed a fright as they saw the price of the game on steam we expect that for some conclussao ja ja min gave up buying it for now good people hope they review their prices until it and hopes.( sorry am using translator )
  7. No. Every piece of software is in alpha and then progresses further. It is not like the need for an alpha is generated by people buying the game.
  8. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

You can always buy the game directly from Uber... also please... every game, every single game on STEAM in Europe sold in Euros are 1:1, 60$ = 60 Euros... that is how it is... always was... nothing Uber can do about it.
    Battlefield 4 will cost $60 here in the US, but will also cost Euro 60 in Europe. Is it fair... no... is it the usual... yes.
  9. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Again, this is not a game backed by a publisher, this is UBER making a game from fans for fans for this particular genre.

If you know a bit about Ubers history you would know they could not knock out a triple A title without a bit of side-funding.
    Look at other Kickstarter games, like Elite, or an even more famous one... Star Citizen... you have to pay as much or even more to get in...
    The question here is not if the price is fair, it is more about, is the game and the alpha worth for me to spend as much.
    No one is forcing you to spend so much money... take it or leave it.
  10. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

Releasing the alpha version of the game on Steam for $90 USD was a huge mistake. The problem is that of perception. If you weren't someone who followed the story of the game's development, you would have logged into Steam to today, thought "Hey, I wonder if there are any new games being released?," saw the listing for Planetary Annihilation with it's $90 price tag and thought "Who the heck do those developers think they are?"

The idea of Kickstarter is that it's sort of a replacement for venture capitalists. If you as a gamer find a particular idea interesting and want to support the developers in advance, that's great and you should.

But the idea of Steam is that there are games for sale (i.e. for profit) listed for gamers to purchase.

Steam =/= Kickstarter.

When you put a game on Steam with Kickstarter investment-style pricing, you're going to confuse a ton of people.

I'm hoping the developers of this game, and of games in general, don't mean to imply that I have to become a venture capitalist in order to play games. The standard deal, as it has always been, between developers/publishers and gamers is that developers make games (and should COMPLETELY finish that development), and then gamers will pay a fair price for them such that, hopefully, the game developers/publishers turn a profit. The deal should not be, nor has it ever been, that I as a gamer have to invest in your risky business venture in order to enjoy a hobby of mine.

I do understand why the Steam early release price is what it is, but it's just a public relations screw up on a "planetary" scale, in my opinion.
  11. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Main solution would probably have just been don't put it in Steam until its in full completed release. Solves the confusion, and steam people then only have to see the one release price.
  12. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

I think I have to agree in this case. It just would have made more sense and reduced confusion.
  13. ST13

ST13 New Member

Just a small thing here. If you buy PA in steam in Europe, you will get it for the price it says. If you buy it at the Uber store, and then later change the key to a steam key, you get the correct conversion price, because that is exactly what I did. And you will get the steam game.
  14. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I don't see the problem really... where is the screw up?

They immediately show to everyone on STEAM that this is Alpha, EARLY ACCESS... and so forth and on... Sorry but if you miss that, then am pretty amazed you made it that far...lol
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Sounds more like a problem of consumers in general being uneducated. It's part of the Early Access Section of steam, and it takes VERY little research to find out it's a KickStarter game and it's KS page is easily found, with all the prices and Backer rewards very visible and the Pre-Order Prices/rewards are just as visible on the Uber Store.

People just don't know heads from tails about actual game development outside of the super-PR-centric world of big huge studios and publishers.

EDIT: To be frank, in my opinion the people that instantly explode into rage over the cost are exactly the sort of people Uber don't want testing.

Mike
  16. kiviar

kiviar New Member

Star Citizen is $40 to get alpha and beta access. So no, it's actually quite a lot less.

Either way, this was an unwise move and anyone with the scarcest knowledge of marketing would have told you that it was going to cause an furor. You may dislike the people complaining, and call them whatever your preferred name is, but the end of the day is, you have already paid your money, they have not.

It may be illogical and nonsensical and you might think these people are idiots, but a large group of cash-in-hand customers believe that Uber just spat in their faces.

In the end a release on Steam's early-access system (which over the last few months has morphed in to a de-facto launch) was possibly a mistake period.
  17. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

What most people seem to forget is that a lot of people kickstarted it at the $90 price ONLY so they could get the alpha, what fair is it on them that the main point they pledge that high is for when the alpha does get released that steam early access puts it up at $20 or so, it's not fair on the 1000s of early backers?
  18. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

To be frank, if that's the true attitude of the community behind this game, and behind the developers, then they and you can kiss my you-know-what!

Where did customer appreciation go in this world? Just because I'm a consumer doesn't mean I'm a slave, haha!

I understand the process of game development, and creative production in general, well. It is a risk! It always is. You can't make the risk go away by just treating your potential customers like idiots. It's not my job as a consumer to have to "educate" myself on the nuances of game development.

I mean, I buy Apple Jacks at the grocery store because I enjoy how they taste, not because I appreciate the intricacies of breakfast cereal production, haha.
  19. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

^+1
    and congrats on getting me to agree with Knight, that's probably a 1st
  20. hailmikhail

hailmikhail Member

ok. so i just came across this and skimmed through the argument/ discussion quickly. from what i can gather people are moaning because the steam version is ridiculously over priced. Guys... its steams fault. They want some money so they bump up the price a little so they make a little bit of income. From what i can tell you're also buying the galactic edition of steam or your just buying the alpha. Either way its not directly Uber's fault. If you want to play the alpha on steam i see one of 2 options. 1) buy the game on steam. 2) buy the game on the Uber store (which btw is about $17 cheaper :D ) and then convert it into a steam key. Problem solved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.