Range for Area of Effect and other Tactical Overlays

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Rebuilt, June 12, 2013.

1. Rebuilt

Rebuilt Member

Hi all,

May a range halo (a circle) be added to area effect units so that you can see the extent of their coverage?

For now I'm thinking of radar and adv. radar towers. How far on the map does their coverage extend? I can't tell as there is no visual cue. May a tactical display option be added that shows this information. It could be kept to selected units, show for all units, or give some option between the two.

It would be nice in tactical overlay to see queued commands linked together. For example; with a builder a line from building frame to building frame in order of its construction queue; with a patrol craft a line from patrol point to patrol point; with a factory a line from factory to staging area, and so on.

Thanks,

Rebuilt
  2. veta

veta Active Member

Do you mean a weapon range overlay or an AOE circle like Zero-K when pressing A to attack?

Both are good.
  3. mrcurry

mrcurry New Member

weapon range overlay: +1
    weapon Area Of Effect overlay: +1
  4. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

He means a overlay that show each units range. Eg Where best to build a radar station to cover a certain area. Or where to prepare artillery pieces that have the best coverage.

This would be a very useful update to add to any build, but i guess there are more important features that need addressing first. When this is added though, it will be great.

Thinking about how many things are missing at the moment then realising that i am still finding this game fun definitely says something about how awesome the finished product will be.
  5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Range indicators are coming.

Just like winter.
    embox and knickles like this.
  6. deso88

deso88 Member

So that means they'll come with Planetary Annihilation 3? :p
  7. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Silly Scathis, always making jokes.
  8. ferrat70

ferrat70 New Member

Um of us are already suffering winter :p
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Hanging upside down all winter must suck.
  10. Daddie

Daddie Member

I have been hearing for 3 seasons that winter is comming.. still no winter FFS!!
  11. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

It's coming...

As for range finders I guess the UI can't really do it as 2d GFX on top of 3d global isn't likely to work - not unless you implement 3d elements within webkit - not even sure that would work/look good. Am I right in guessing that they'll be written into the game graphics engine?

I'm kind of interested as I've an idea for "draw you're own selection box" for units mod, kind of hold a key down, draw area and select all units within that area - but it too would encounter the needed to draw the selection in 3d - mapping to the surface of the terrain.
  12. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

An accident of map-making propagated by bloody northerners and their historically upwards privilege!
    You lot are the wrong way up in my opinion. :p

[​IMG]
  13. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Along with overlays, will we be able to adjust waypoints for move/attack/patrols and build sites eventually?
  14. osuapoc

osuapoc New Member

Well done, sir. Well done!