Explosion effects

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by linecircle, September 2, 2012.

?

Which additional gameplay effects would you like to see for your explosions?

1. none, just damage

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. terrain deform/scarring

81 vote(s)
    85.3%
  3. applies a force to surviving units

50 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. applies a force to objects (eg. wreckage)

58 vote(s)
    61.1%
  5. affects planetary orbits (if large enough explosion)

39 vote(s)
    41.1%
  6. other

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. linecircle

linecircle Member

None means the explosion just damages units (and looks awesome) but does nothing else gameplay-wise.

Terrain deformation and scarring is already confirmed.

Applying a force means 'pushing', 'knockback', 'sending into orbit'.. that kind of force. It can add situational strategy but could get annoying due to randomness.
    Also, be careful with this one: sending into orbit might be funny, but it could disrupt gameplay by occurring too easily on low-gravity bodies.

If the kickstarter video is anything to go by, debris that won't become wreckage is part of the visuals and will already go flying off. So only check 'to objects' if you want actual gameplay objects to go flying too. It could make clearing wreckage easier, for example.

Affecting planetary orbits means a large nuke has a chance of saving your planet from a small incoming asteroid by changing the asteroid's course.

I think the awesomeness of bits flying everywhere is worth putting it in, but I know having a messy battlefield isn't everybody's cup of tea. Hence a poll.
    Last edited: September 2, 2012
  2. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Everything up to moving planetary objects is fine.
    I don't think it could work within gameplay standards with nukes pushing planets.
  3. allot

allot Member

4. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

The idea of "Hey I don't like you, so I push your planet out of my solar system." sounds fun, but I'm fine what Flanders said.
  5. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I concur.

Affecting wreckage could work, or not. Let's just make sure it's not trivial to move wreckage out of the way in a large capacity.
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I would say something as large as a nuke would not budge a planet.

But an explosion caused by an asteroid would probably do something to a planet's orbit if the planet was not destroyed in the process. I'm thinking along the lines of a chain reaction: You hit a planet with a small asteroid, but fail to destroy it right away, but it ends up altering the planets orbit so that it will eventually collide with another planet. :)
  7. aerospacefanatic

aerospacefanatic New Member

It all seems fine to me (except "none"). It would take significant force (ramming large asteroids into things at high speeds) to significantly effect planet's orbits. Applying force to units would be entertaining and possibly add to the gameplay, but you would not get things in orbit this way. Any trajectory would be sub-orbital or an escape orbit. Scarring and deformation seems to be part of the game design, where the amount of usable land slowly decreases.
  8. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

Everything including orbit distortion is fine. We'll have a good time nuke-redirecting planets to collide something big and shiny. BTW, taking ingame planets scale in account, a bunch of 100 Mt thermonukes can easily shift planet's orbit.
  9. veta

veta Active Member

relevant xkcd
  10. timmon26

timmon26 New Member

I would like to see giant craters carved out by commander explosions. That way we're basically guaranteed to see some planet deformation every match, even if no killer asteroids were used.
    Also adds a bit of grim lore to any craters already there when a match starts - commanders have fought and died here.

There also seem to be an inordinate number of crevasses on these planets so far, and in places where they wouldn't be expected to appear naturally by erosion or what have you. Perhaps asteroid impacts or some other player-caused cataclysms could produce those in real time as well...
  11. lumni

lumni New Member

it would be nice if some kinds of projectiles could pass through units on overkill.
    also, if theres something lika LRPC on an asteroid shooting a far planet, it would be nice to see some dead weight being shot in the opposite direction (just cosmetic) to justify such shot not messing with the asteroid orbit/rotation.
  12. Baleur

Baleur Member

Thats a good idea to have guaranteed craters when commanders blow up.
    Even if a game is only set on one planet, you'd see some neat deformation.
    After all, it's a big deal to lose your commander, there should be a scar from it!
  13. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

I'd like to be able to push wreckage out of the way - I noticed in a game yesterday my units got into a choke point and couldn't move because of the all wreckage around them.
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen a tank be pushed over by an explosion? :lol:

It's kind of like trying to knock over a building with your bare hands, if you apply enough force, the wall you're pushing on will just explode instead of the building falling over.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Bots being able to be knocked around a bit though, and using tractor beams to swing planets around sounds like a bucket of fun.
  15. comham

comham Active Member

And for that reason, seeing wreckage thrown through the air by explosions becomes impressive.
  16. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

All I want is envorimental deformation and explosion effects like these in Company of Heroes 1 or 2. :cool: