POLL - Your most desired next change / fix?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Baleur, June 10, 2013.

?

Most desired small change / fix?

Poll closed June 17, 2013.
  1. Fix drag select selecting through planet.

43 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Add mass-point requirement for extractors.

87 vote(s)
    45.3%
  3. No more building infinite structures in one spot.

100 vote(s)
    52.1%
  4. Darker nights.

20 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Smaller selection boxes / unit highlight boxes.

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Common hotkeys (A = Forced attack, P = Patrol, R = Reclaim).

41 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. Keep camera to universal "up", no more random rotating.

47 vote(s)
    24.5%
  8. Fix units clipping through ground.

64 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. Add placeholder nuke (simple, buggy first pass nuke silo).

15 vote(s)
    7.8%
  10. Other.

27 vote(s)
    14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Baleur

Baleur Member

I thought it'd be nice to see what people mostly look forward to in terms of small changes and fixes that we could expect within a week or two. Here are some i could think of at the top of my head, check the 1 or 3 things that you feel would improve your gameplay experience the most at this stage.
    What do you want to see next patch if you could choose? :twisted:

Select "Other" and write a reply on what other thing you most want to see :)
    Remember, small changes / fixes.
    Let the discussion begin!
  2. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Fix drag select selecting through planet.
    Add mass-point requirement for extractors.
    No more building infinite structures in one spot.

Assuming the fixes aren't really hard I would wait on any other minor patches just to get these fixed.

These need to be fixed asap. Once they are fixed the game becomes 100% more playable.
  3. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

To get to the moon!
  4. illylax

illylax New Member

No more random rotating, common hotkeys and other. Other would be to be able to double tap a control group to instantly go to it on the map, I never played TA or supcom so i don't know if you could do it there but it would give much more flow to the game.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

6. Baleur

Baleur Member

Yeah double-tapping control groups to jump to them is a must :)
  7. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

agreed
  8. Ralith

Ralith Member

There is no "random rotating". Being able to pan on a globe the same way we're used to in 2D maps naturally results in the camera's up axis changing over time in response to your inputs. You can always press N to reorient with regard to north, but if the camera was always aligned that way it would be a huge pain in the *** to control things near the poles because every little motion would force the camera to spin a large amount to remain oriented.
  9. Baleur

Baleur Member

No...

Press comma (or was it period?) to see the solar system map.
    There clearly is a universal stationary "up" axis. Not relative to any particular planet you are on or the poles.

The camera could be aligned from the start with this "up" axis, and keep simply never yaw left or right. It's quite simple.
    Of course if you pass over the planetary pole, you'll now be looking "down", no problem. At least you aren't looking 23* to the south-west or some random direction.

Want proof that the camera does rotate randomly for no reason?
    Press A and D, or W and S repeatedly.
    Keep panning the camera left and right 10-20 times just around your base.
    Or up and down, same effect.
    You'll notice how the camera gradually spins around despite you not doing anything else than panning left and right or up and down in the same tiny area on the planet.

There's definetly something going on that isn't supposed to happen.
  10. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

might be rotation of the planet that is causing the gradual rotation. It IS rotating, hence the awesome sunsets.
  11. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I want the game to be optimized. :roll:
  12. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

I voted "Other".

In my opinion there is nothing more essential for next patch than range rings :)
  13. Ralith

Ralith Member

Okay, so the camera starts aligned with the plane of the solar system. Pan up until you're looking at the poll. Now pan left until you're back at the equator. Your camera is now oriented 90 degrees off-plane, because that's the only sane way to interpret your inputs without making control terrible when the camera's forward vector is close to the intended up vector. This is why the N keybind exists.

Of course, you're right that if you're only giving inputs around one axis, e.g. left/right, you should be repeatedly crossing the same orientation, not slowly drifting in any manner at all. I confirm that something weird's going on there; I don't see any camera roll, but the globe does appear to rotate upwards when panning repeatedly left/right and rightwards when panning repeatedly up/down.
  14. adriaaaaan

adriaaaaan New Member

Improvement of performance, I can't realistically help out right now when its <5fps
  15. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

No, the issue is that the player's camera does not always have north as up, and if you scroll and move around a bit, you end up with "up" changing completely.

Just FYI, I had an identical problem when I implemented a 3D free camera too, and could never solve it.
  16. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

Check this for a universal up mode
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id like that as an option for my game camera.
  18. Ralith

Ralith Member

Did you read my post? This is an unavoidable effect of having consistent scrolling. If you did what
    suggests, usability drops off rapidly as you approach the poles, because to pan up just a little you need to instead rotate 180 degrees.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

a massive nerf to the t2 ships would also increase the possibilities gameplay wise. currently those ships mean that you cannot attack with ground anymore and you HAVE to resort to t2 bomber snipes
  20. Ralith

Ralith Member

I've found T2 stationary artillery to be an effective anti-ship weapon, if you can build them outside the radar/spotting range of the enemy.