A better way of showing LOS (sight)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by plink, June 8, 2013.

1. plink

plink Active Member

This is the primary reason for wanting this change.
    Last edited: June 11, 2013
  2. plink

plink Active Member

Exactly. So much more 'atmosphere', just from doing that. Then it just needs some more color saturation on the 'day side', and you pretty much have the 'trailer look'.
  3. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Oops, just noticed I had things backwards in the shader and it was treating everything as if it were under fog of war so I fixed it up (attached). And here's a new screenshot of it in action:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

If you found it too intrusive, I think the compromise would be be a toggle for those who want it and those who don't.
  5. veta

veta Active Member

not bad auss
  6. plink

plink Active Member

@Auss, you should try changing the color of the border to match the color of the units. (ie. Red in your example image) Your eyes will more naturally link the two together, and it should look a little cleaner.

Ideally, as your view zooms in, (and the strategic icons disappear) the line should also fade out. (or at least to 50% opacity) So it doesn't become obtrusive close up.
  7. beerig

beerig New Member

8. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Unfortunately it's not possible to use the player color because is not passed into the resolve shader, and a fade based on zoom would have to use the pixel depth which would make the line have different levels of opacity in different areas which probably wouldn't look as good.
  9. plink

plink Active Member

Here's another mockup I did of the lighting model I think should be pursued.

[​IMG]
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yep, once we add post-processing we can also do some tone mapping from light/dark to be able to make it even more extreme.
  11. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Wow, that looks cool! I really like the lights from the units etc... Can't wait to see more.
  12. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

+1 to the topic, and also those mock up screens.

Is there an eta on post process anyone, will it appear in alpha or beta?
  13. plink

plink Active Member

That's great to hear, sir. I guess I was under the assumption that all you would need to do, is lower the 'ambient' lighting values, and then increase the 'sun intensity' value. I didn't realize it was all being planned with post-processing. Either way, it's all good.
  14. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Not that I'm aware of, but even if it does make it into the alpha I highly doubt it'll actually be tweaked to have the right values to look really good until late beta. It's not worth tuning the graphics properly until you have most of your art locked down, otherwise the art might change in a way that causes the graphics to need to be tuned again (wasting time).