Fps

Discussion in 'Support!' started by southendronnie, June 10, 2013.

1. southendronnie

southendronnie New Member

I have a core i5 3750k and nvidia 8800gt, 8gb ram, ssd and...

....The game runs so slow its unplayable like seconds per frame not fps

Realise its the alpha but does this sound right?

Ps I have 1.5mb broadband
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Seconds per frame might be a little extreme, but even then our internal cut off is 5 year old cards (the 9800 GT for example). The 8800 GT and 9800 GT are nearly identical, but there's probably just enough changes to make the difference between 5 fps and 0.5 fps. We're pushing some novel tech with PA even though the graphics seem simple.
  3. sitronno

sitronno New Member

I have the same problem, when scrolling. I press the up-arrow and it scrolls some frames, then just freezes for a second or two... and all of a sudden I have scrolled to the other side of the planet. This "0.5 fps" happens when scolling/moving the camera, when fixed camera I have no problems.

However, is this a bug, just slow FPS or something completely different? And is it the same as you experience?

I have not reported this as a bug, since I believe it's just not optimized..?
  4. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

i have kinda low fps to. but the fps don't change if i change the graphic so i can't be optimized.

i got 15-30 FPS
  5. southendronnie

southendronnie New Member

Thanks for taking time to reply good work

Well maybe it's time to upgrade my card - is there a console command or hot key for checking fps so I can report back with some accuracy?
  6. warexe

warexe New Member

Press P to see your FPS.
  7. kodokai

kodokai Member

Same issue when i zoom out, e6600 / GTX460 OC weird fps lag. My other pc blew up so im stuck with this for now.

For an upgrade i'd suggest the new nvidia 770 never been a fan of AMD/ATI
  8. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

I suspect it isn't the g-card speed it's the amount of g-card RAM - I'm running a Nvidia 660 TI with 3GB and I can see the v-card memory use is 2.4 GB(on uber settings)

This explains a bit about Virtual texturing that's being used (see texturing)
    http://www.mavorsrants.com/2013/02/plan ... ngine.html

It occurs to me that maybe there's no judging the users g-card memory & so you'll have to do it yourself. How does the game run with texture settings turned down?
  9. nuendo

nuendo New Member

I am also curious about this as I drop fast to about 9-12 fps when I start to get alot of units. (Perhaps a better CPU / rams could solve this issue?) I remember that helped atleast when I played TA.

My PC specs
    Intel Q6600 2.4 ghz (oh ****, lol)
    4gb ram (hmm strange I thought I used to have 8gb) windows reads only 4.
    Geforce GTX 560 TI 1gb.

I think its time for a new pc. I've been playing Path of exile lately and it has very low requirements what regards pc so I thought I could keep slacking for a bit. No go :p

I am aware that alpha optimization is low prio, but damn a crap pc doesnt help it :D

Attached Files:

10. eyecu247

eyecu247 Member

I am not seeing the same problems that you guys are having... FPS has high has mid 40s and as low as 11 with averages around 26/34. But when at 11FPS i still seem to be able to play alright and it does stay at 11 for more then a few seconds. Biggest issue I have is after a game goes on for a while I can have long pauses that last 5 or 10 seconds and when chatting in game everyone playing also reports having the same problem at the same time. But this does not occur in every game.
    And to anyone saying don't buy'em I am running AMD/ATI parts.
  11. anevilcheddar

anevilcheddar New Member

Im running Geforce GTX 660 4GB and the FPS and lag that i get are terrible. Soon as i start combat or try to move my units i get 10-15 second click lag. I stopped playing yesterday thinking it was to do with hosts but experienced the same thing in 2 games today as well. Im going to stop playing until they release another alpha version because at the moment its not very playable even though its the best alpha ive ever seen. Its not my rig as this thing is set up to run everything at ultra settings.
  12. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

There is a big difference between looking at the units and selecting them.

3,5 fps to 0,2 fps

Attached Files:

13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you disable UI ("U" button) and then repeat same test? It's will disable "select borders" on units and probably it's show reason of low fps.
  14. shootcraft

shootcraft New Member

even my GTX 690 have problems when my army is too big :D
  15. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

What about the GTX 560 ti ?

I have an ASUS Direct CUII TOP model... i'm at under 15fps :/

Also is placing the PA folder under Program files (E.G. the 64 bit directory) recomended or does this change nothing?

The rest of my sys specs are:
    3930K (stock clock ATM)
    16Gig RAM 2400Mhz 9-11-11-31
    Asrock extrme6/GB MB (no southbridge voltage modifications or other)
    1080p main screen
    RevodriveX1 main HD
    Sound and 10MB ethernet through Asrock Game Blaster
    Last edited: June 11, 2013
  16. lilbthebasedlord

as with FA, thanks for this, it looks awsome by the way :)
  17. lilbthebasedlord

OK I'd really like some help here, I've been talking to numerous PA alpha players and all report they do not experience my lag.

I have severe lag droping down to ~2fps when the game gets to be an hour long. I've turned all the graphics down to minumum.

I got rid of most of the texture glitching I had by downgrading my Nvdia driver to an old one (the 314.22) and disconecting my second screen. this has yeilded tremendously better results yet I still lag crazyly. My taskman reports I have a cpu usage of around 12% and a memory usage of 4.5Gig with roughly 2 Gigs for PA while the game is running(for a fresh game this will be 10% cpu and 2.7total gigs of ram).

if I let the game sit I hit 60fps but is I make the slightest camera change it instantly drops down to 15 and sits there until I've waited it out sufficiently, if a factory or a unit is moving on the screen => 15. If anything => 15
    and it drops lower so what's going on? certainly i'm doing something wrong. people with much worse specs than mine told me they had 30 or 60 stable. Also the textures on the ground take forever to load they'll be blury for a long while after I've zoomed in.

I heard an admin ask for Dxdiag from another guys having problems, WHY would he do that when seemingly the game is currently only using OpenGL? (open "P" and I see "gLuniform", "gluseprogram", "GLeffect" Is it coded in openGL or in DirectX?
  18. soxism

soxism New Member

So Pretty much a lot of people have said above.

lilbthebasedlord > Describes it very well..

Main issue for me is the Texture tearing AND any camera movement.

If i am Zoomed in. The game seems to flow a bit quicker and i get higher frames. Zoomed out i get the 1-2 frames a second.

My Card is a Nvida 460 gtx ..I have the Latest drivers Etc.

Happy to Supply a Dxdiag if the Dev need.
  19. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

No problems at all with an AMD HD5770, and that stuff is a lot slower than most other cards here (about on par with a GTX260). And yet I get solid 15fps on FullHD and all details maxed out with ~ 200 units on screen. I only drop below to ~5fps if all of them (they a fabber bots) start constructing due to an additional overhead of 50-100ms per frame, just for "update" and "other" in the particle system, but apart from that, no issues.

If the CPU part was optimized, I would be stable at 5-10fps, even in worst case scenario.

Selecting unit has no effect at all, FPS are still stable.

Well, the game definitely needs some serious optimizations on the client side, especially LoD and better culling, but it looks more like (yet another) Nvidia issue.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Game is actually is OpenGL-only, but Coherent UI using D3D for some reason, probably for WebGL support or hardware acceleration on Windows.

Because DxDiag it's tool reporting this information: OS version, hardware, resolution of monitor, version of GPU driver, audio devices list, usb devices list, your disk usage statistics.

So DxDiag it's just easy to use tool to get all required information about your system on Windows.