Please get rid of Hold Fire/Fire at Will buttons

Discussion in 'Support!' started by whitewolf1, June 10, 2013.

1. whitewolf1

whitewolf1 New Member

I don't know why you have this in place; but during combat, I didn't know I have to switch from the default hold fire to fire at will. I lost a lot of bombers from this, haha. I would think since its a galactic war and there aren't any civilians there wouldn't be a need to have hold fire. Just my thoughts. Thanks
  2. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

It's good to have the option at some very rare times, the default needs to be changed though obviously.
  3. therogue1126

therogue1126 New Member

I wanna throw my opinion in here as well. I do like the option but would prefer the default to be fire at will. I think in most situations it would be far more common to want fire at will on.
  4. songi

songi New Member

This was done right in TA and can be a very useful strategic tool.

In TA all mobile units were set to the default the factory was set to, which was fire at will by default. If you changed this you can make units that would return or hold fire when created by default.

There's a few good reasons for this feature, such as building units near an enemy to avoid be noticed, or to stop large artillery using precious energy trying to kill a peewee.

For PA the AI controlling unit auto fire is a bit wonky at the moment, maybe the next build they will sort it out.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Those controls aren't hooked up yet, setting a unit to hold fire or fire at will has no effect, all units are fire at will at all times except the commander. I'm not sure why it defaults to show hold fire in the UI.
  6. sempermax

sempermax New Member

Regardless of whether they are hooked up or not I'd rather the option stayed. It comes in handy when sneaking units around......you notice attacks... not radar blips.....not if you're busy anyways
  7. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

this option is very good in mu opinion, if you for example trying to hide (to build up a new base or something) of flee from a battle. as fast as you start shooting the enemy will know where you are :)
  8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Oh it's going to stay. Those orders are a big part of the strategy aspects of the game, so we have zero plans to remove them.

If you're having issues with units failing to attack those would be bugs to report; either something is wrong with the AI / targeting or is a failure to message on our part.

Bombers for example take energy to charge their attacks, so if your economy is stalled they won't be able to do any damage. They will however gleefully continue making passes over their target regardless of if they have the energy to attack or not.

They also had (and possibly still have) a bug where they would stop in mid air directly above their target and refuse to attack, or suddenly land just before arriving at their target. This kind of behavior should be reported, and, if possible, a video submitted.
  9. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

UP

There is definately a need for this, ground fire is also super handy as you sometimes wanna have a "show me what you do" button and a payoff for clever micro but "hold fire" is in no way the best default
  10. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

oh well good to know units do fire. t2 bombers don't seem to fire at will though
  11. whitewolf1

whitewolf1 New Member

Ok, will do. That does make sense in regards to units firing and your economy. The bombers were hanging in the air just chillin so it probably was a bug. I will catch it next time. Thanks