Alpha is laggy?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Xentiran, June 9, 2013.

1. Xentiran

Xentiran New Member

Hi

I know the game is just in the Alpha but still, it is quite laggy for me even running on low quality. Is it the rendering that overloads my CPU or maybe my internet connection? So I wont get worried about my computer that it is to bad for the game xD The most of the lag shows when I go over my base with the camera or when I change location with the camera on the planet. I would be happy if I got some of it explained to me so I can understand kinda why this is happening hehe :)
  2. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

It could quite easily be a combination of all. Nothing is optimised yet, so your computer is doing far more work than it should have to, and your internet isn't coping with the excess quantities of data being sent which will probably be cleaned up later. If you post some specs we could compare your machine to some of the ones that run the alpha well.
  3. Xentiran

Xentiran New Member

I have Windows Ultimate 64-bit OS, AMD FX 6300 3,50Ghz, GTX 560 Ti OC and 8GB RAM memory and I use two screens if that matters. :)
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I have an i5, 8GB RAM and a GTX 560 TI and PA runs okayish. Some lag is to be expected in alpha. I wouldn't worry about it atm.
  5. antillie

antillie Member

I have a dual screen setup with a Phenom II x4 965 and a pair of Radeon 5770's with 8 gigs of RAM and the alpha runs nice and smooth for me on the highest settings. I think its rather odd that your much faster box doesn't do as well.

I have noticed that all of the people complaining about low frame rates seem to have Nvidia cards so it might be a driver thing resulting from the non optimization of the game at this point.
  6. Xentiran

Xentiran New Member

Its probably the optimization, because otherwise it would be kinda weird cos I updated my graphic drivers yesterday xD
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Strange, with your hardware it's should be fine.
    Did you try to enable performance information (press "P" in game) and check what fps you have? It's probably will be also useful if you make short video which show how your "lags" seems like.
  8. Xentiran

Xentiran New Member

Well acording to the ingame information my FPS goes from 14 to 15 FPS at the very beginning before we have started and then when I have a big base it drops really low and when im in combat to :/
  9. garenator666

garenator666 New Member

Are you playing with people or computers? I've definitely noticed that when I play with 3 computers it lags a lot (solid 2+ seconds between issuing commands and units moving), but if I play a game with 3 people (including myself) and 1 comp, there is virtually no lag.
  10. Xentiran

Xentiran New Member

I didnt even know you could play with the computer :eek: but I have been playing with players so its lagging when I play with players hehe :)

Funny thing is that I have the exact same FPS no matter what, without players and on the highest graphic xD
  11. theadamwest

theadamwest Member

don't feel bad I have an i7 960 oc to 4.5 ghz, 24 gigs of ram, 2 radeon 7950's each with 3gb of ram oced to 1ghz core 1.5ghz mem and I still lag when the unit count gets to high, and its not my internet connection which is 100 mb\s down 50 mb\s up.
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

For some reason I can stream 720p quality that actually looks good with 1 mbps internet connection. If it's an optimization error I like it.

So its probably something with your pc
  13. jubez81

jubez81 New Member

press P look at fps during the bad episodes. avg 5-20fps during end game by end game i mean 5 leviathans in every pool of water and the needed resource's to fund the endeavour.
  14. Xentiran

Xentiran New Member

The funniest thing is that no matter what I set m graphic settings to or if its players or AI it still goes from 14 FPS to 15 FPS until I zoom out real fast or move the camera fast. So im starting to think that its something with my PC too xD cos it wont go over 15 FPS