Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

Would anybody care for farsi/persian?
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Any languages people want to localize, seriously, go to town. The more the merrier! :)

On a related note, I finally got getloc updated with the latest strings:

http://www.getlocalization.com/PALocalization/

It's marked a number of existing strings as out of date, and added a few additional ones. Currently, even string is set back to "not complete".. This is exactly what will happen regularly on the game strings, so I'm glad I could test this part of the process out (the master file gets updated, everything else gets changed to the appropriate state).
  3. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Done! :x Where is the rest!? It is not complete at all! :x
  4. garat

I'll have to ask. That's what was checked into our source control. :)
  5. rorschachphoenix

I'm just a bit... impatient. :roll: I want to push things forward if I can.
    Waiting for alpha makes me mad. :x
  6. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

BTW, you guys said that alpha is planned for the end of the may. When the translation of the actual game will start? Not much time left.
  7. garat

Starting translations at the same time as alpha has always been a goal for me, but not anything I've ever expected to be able to pull off. If I can get all the strings pulled into the right files in the coming weeks, along with all the other alpha prep, it's possible I'll die of shock in the process.

I don't mean to sound negative, but it's always been a very unlikely chance to get alpha and first pass strings ready at the same time. :)
  8. rorschachphoenix

Well, this is not what we want. :mrgreen:
  9. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

When are you going to give some "official gædlines" for the translation team?
    What do you want to have translated and what do you want to have transliterated, and what do you want to be left untouched?
    Even now I have noticed some inconsistencies between different language projects. For example: what is your policy on unit names? Your units gonna have names, right? Do you want them translated or transliterated, or what? Specifically, commanders, the only unit that already has an official name which is used in promotional materials. I see that german transators just left it as-is (I don't speak german myself, but the dictionary says that the translation would be "der Kommandeur", not "Commander"), while danish people used "Kommandører", which is obviously a translation.
    So, to prevent future fights, I think you should tell us "the word of God" on the matters.
  10. miturian

miturian Member

yes please :)
  11. garat

When we're ready. :) We're not ready yet on that front. But don't underestimate the value of knowing how all these things work. It's pretty important.

I also need to spend more time thinking about things, and since it's a community driven effort, I want to make sure it's reasonable and straightforward instructions - not my normal draconian loc rules I'd provide to a loc outsource team. :)
  12. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I just transliterated the name because it is a proper noun and it sounded quite boring when it translated into Korean.
  13. p1err0r

p1err0r New Member

Hi !

Name's Pierre, I come from France and I'm really happy to have found this topic !!!
    Apparently, things about translations have been already started !
    I would be glad to help if needed, I tryed to look a little on PAlocalization to see how the translations system works and I would like to ask a few questions please :

- It seems that for the moment you've stopped posting new strings, will you announce a date or do we have to look after it ourselves ?
    - Is this topic the only one to follow to stay up to date ?

and the last but so important to me (and I tryed to find the answer in the forums with no success)

-Do you intend to get the translations ready at the day of the release date ?
    -Is it confirmed that others language will be (one day) available ?

I'm quite sure some of the answers have already been given before, they are just awaiting me somewhere within the thousand posts and hours of stream videos but I do not find them :( ! I apologize to ask you it again...

See you soon
  14. asm987

asm987 New Member

Quality of the Korean translation on uber store page is quite good. Very satisfying. Only thing that bugs me is that FAQ part isn't translated as well as some parts of CDE product description.
  15. whisperr

whisperr Member

Hi! I've just started translating into Slovenian language. I hope I won't be alone in the endeavour.
  16. aithevulture

aithevulture New Member

I expect for now allowed uberstore translate only?

How long it will for client localization allowed?
  17. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Every provided strings were translated or transliterated except some trade mark. Other strings are not yet been provided. Actually, translated stuffs are kind of old version of what you see on current Pre-order page.

I was the only individual who involves PA translation for Korean and you can always help the translation process to make awesome result on http://www.getlocalization.com/PALocalization/, as I do.

P.S. Do you mind if I ask you to PM and tell me how can I contact you via internet (such as Steam or irc)?
  18. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

I don't quite get this. I do have to pay to take part in the localization?

On-topic: I believe that "Sie" is the way to go for the German translation.
    Almost all games that are not specifically geared towards children use it.
    But since you have a German subforum, why not start a poll there?
  19. rorschachphoenix

http://www.getlocalization.com/PALocalization/

You don't have to pay anything.

Regarding "Sie": Uber said they prefer "Du".
  20. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

Yeah I know, but Uber are not sure yet from what I read in this thread, right?
    I mean, if they knew their German they would call themsleves Über, right? (jk) :D

I can only say that most games use "Sie", and I personally prefer it because it gives a more "mature" feeling to the game. I'm not being wonky here and want the game to treat me with respect or anything, I just believe that the German audience would prefer being "siezed".
    After all the game will make you feel like a badass general, and since only relatives/friends and children are treated by "du", it would seem somewhat unfitting imho.

If Uber wishes though of course I will utilize "du" in the translations I do on the site.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.