A better way of showing LOS (sight)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by plink, June 8, 2013.

1. plink

plink Active Member

Currently you are simply keeping the planet slightly darkish, and have every unit light up a circular area around itself. I find this actually quite tough to see, as there isn't a significant contrast difference between the background and the lit up area. It also requires that you wash out the lighting in general. (which is the primary reason the game looks very bland at the moment)

Instead, I think you should do away with the 'lighting circle' and simple add a 'stroked' outline around the edge of whatever is currently visible. You can have the stroke color match the primary color of each team.

This will then allow you to keep the planet and it's graphics looking vibrant with good amounts of contrast, without having to worry about it affecting gameplay. This way also makes it much easier to see the visibility boundries. (obviously you can overlay the radar and others on top. Making it all toggleable on/off)

Here's a screenshot/mockup of what I'm suggesting:

[​IMG]
  2. umbralreaver

umbralreaver New Member

I'd like that. I'd also like to see circles showing my radar and weapon ranges.
  3. plink

plink Active Member

Agreed.
  4. mistermeatball

mistermeatball New Member

I support at least the testing of this idea. No clue how well it would work out but I have had a similar problem with the light/dark contrast and this looks like a sound fix.
  5. cardboardboxpro

cardboardboxpro Member

Yes ranges of things is drastically needed. it was amazing to have in supcom.
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I honestly disliked this in FA. It felt more like the unit was swimming in pudding or something and its air bubble was only so large.

But it doesn't really matter, so long as you can tell at a glance what your unit can and cannot see.
  7. m9365428

m9365428 New Member

I would agree that there needs to be a "halo" indicator for fire range, radar, etc.
    I think Supreme Commander struck a very good balance in information display/intrusion/customizable.
    I'm not referring to the entire interface just the visualizers for various range data.
  8. veta

veta Active Member

yeah so weapon range is usually the same as LOS for units and that's why this happens in FA. I don't think we need separate LOS overlays though.

i did like range overlays in FA.
  9. asm987

asm987 New Member

Marking LOS in that kind of definitive circle could be too much, but I agree that there should be marked range of sight and radar coverage.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Can't say I have a huge problem telling where line of sight is.
  11. veta

veta Active Member

I think the one redeeming quality of OP's idea is that replacing LOS=Light would free uber up to do some really dynamic day-night stuff.
  12. Satch3L

Satch3L Member

I think this is a good idea or at least when it comes to selecting radars, or see canon range.
  13. snierke

snierke Active Member

Regarding radars and canon range yoy shold at least be able to see the range when you outplace them. And in my opinion it should also be possible to toggle on/off at any point in the game.
  14. Drarrk

Drarrk New Member

I'm up for this, being able to see the radar range and artillery range would be very helpful as well.
  15. Baleur

Baleur Member

That wasn't the point, the point was that fog of war looks silly on a sphere because it tends to darken the entire planet. You see the sun rise and only a explored chunk becomes filled with sunlight.

This thread beat me to it, i had the exact same idea last night :D
  16. moshnak

moshnak New Member

I do not have any trouble distinguishing the edge of the FoW, nor do I feel that it takes away from the planet's pretty looks (bats eyes). The FoW is a clear and easy to understand concept of unknown and unexplored area. I would agree that once so far zoomed out that it would disappear. I also feel any kind of line added would make enemy units/icon difficult to spot. Also, when zoomed in seeing an enemy unit pop out of no where would look awkward, while seeing come out of the FoW looks good.

Big thumbs up for the idea of outlining radar and artillery range!
  17. pheagey

pheagey Member

Agreed, this would be very helpful.
  18. veta

veta Active Member

So I guess you haven't played supreme commander? When a unit walks into your radar LOS it also "pops out of nowhere." Overlays don't make it harder to recognize strategic icons.

And there is plenty to be gained from more contrasting day and night:
    [​IMG]
    viewtopic.php?f=71&t=47444
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Can someone play with the Fog of War Resolve shader? I tried and failed to make it greyscale, my knowledge of GSLS is similar in nature to my knowledge of lunar microbiology.
  20. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Yeah I can do that, give me a min...

Edit:
    Done, just drop the fog_of_war_resolve.fs in the attached zip over your old fog_of_war_resolve.fs and you'll get the outline instead. Personally I prefer it the way it was but by giving you this as a mod it should keep everyone happy ;).

Edit2:
    Should probably have added screenshot so you know what you are getting:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: June 11, 2013