metal extracters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by technoxan, June 7, 2013.

1. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I have heard that your are going to have to place extractors on metal patches. :(
    I think having no area you need to place extractors on would be better (in my opinion) and, in real life you can dig deep and find a lot of iron. I think it would help PA be less like SP.

just saying some random thoughts, criticism welcome :D
  2. veta

veta Active Member

the reasoning for specific metal-points is to encourage conflict for map control, map control in turn gives you more metal-points which in turn gives you more metal and can ultimately win you the game.
    Last edited: June 8, 2013
  3. technoxan

technoxan New Member

4. Oblob

Oblob New Member

set metal points are a must or the game will be a game of turtles
  5. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I see your point, I totally agree now. :D but I really hope that there will be a lot more patches then in SP. Do you know anything about it?
  6. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I still prefer the idea of metal rich regions where you can place an extractor anywhere. That would make areas of the map strategically important, and do away with that extractor-goes-here! ore patch that has been around since TA. Not a huge fan of that method. Of course, I'm happy to see what actually happens as the game develops.
  7. veta

veta Active Member

this was tried in spring rts, without getting into details it didn't work out too well.

here's a post about it from a spring developer: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=46496&p=727344&hilit=metal#p727344
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Planets that combine both sound good, like +1.0 everywhere but +10.0 on a metal point. Sounds trivial to implement given that there's already normal planets and metal planets.
  9. bacdemon

bacdemon New Member

This is an incredibly good idea- it would be a lot of fun. Having these hotspots with lots of metal would lead to a great risk/reward situation that would add a lot to PA. Just have the same specific points like in supcom, but also be able to build extractors anywhere at a vastly reduced efficiency, and then also have specific areas where you can build anywhere for the standard efficiency
  10. p2mpk

p2mpk New Member

I am embarrassed to ask, but how do I identify a metal patch? I just dropped extractors all over and seemed to have some success. I didn't see anything like supreme commander type mass deposits. What should I look for?
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

There are mass points painted in the alpha (they look much like TA metal points) but apparently they don't work, everywhere in the alpha is a metal point.