Linux Client

Discussion in 'Support!' started by tsikedu, June 7, 2013.

1. laseek

laseek New Member

It's due to SSL failing - https is being used to pull down some update information.
    By default there's no ssl certs installed (certmgr) - and mono is a little finnicky when it comes to ssl & certs. You need to tweak the code to properly handle the case.

There's a few things that can work (1) - but you need to know the https url being used to have a good chance of finding a work around.

(1) Import base certs - sudo mozroots --import --sync
    (2) Import the specific cert from the url being used - certmgr -ssl https://url/ --machine

For a more descriptive discussion of the issue - with fixes & approaches - http://www.mono-project.com/UsingTruste ... spectfully
    Last edited: June 7, 2013
  2. laseek

laseek New Member

heh - think of it as a bunch of people desperate for a morning coffee.
    They place their order, cough up the cash, queue up with everybody - only when they get to the barrista they're told they're only serving tea and send 'em back to the end of the queue..

PA is that dark meaty caffine boost that people have been waiting for soo long that they can almost taste it... their hands twitch, their mouth goes dry and they find themselves wandering aimlessly around and around in circles.
  3. daemonmf

daemonmf New Member

The sad part is that the people complaining about lack of alpha Linux parity are just demonstrating to other devs why they shouldn't make games for Linux.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Interesting point. I'm going to ask some other devs what they think.
  5. compholio

compholio New Member

Thank you for being a supporter of Linux. I'm sure there are a lot of other people that appreciate all the work you have done and you're just hearing the whiny trolls at the moment because most of the rest of us have enough sense to keep our traps shut. If you need any pre-alpha testers then just let us know ;)
  6. slackerlinux

slackerlinux New Member

kinda surprising theres so many complaints about this as linux users i would have thought we would have been used to waiting

PA devs ignore the trolls and take your time(not too long please :) ) to get the client working well and hopefully after release we can prove you guys wrong about profitability.
  7. gabooo

gabooo Member

Same boat here. Trolls are everywhere, and hey use linux, too :)
    Please don't be that upset, there are many linux users thankful of you supporting linux.
    I am, I'll be waiting, probably using windows in the meantime. And if you need pre-alpha-breaking-builds testers for linux, available too. Linux dev and user for years.
  8. mcodl

mcodl Member

Crossplatform development is never easy. That is unless you can afford to use .NET or Java for your game (which of course will have some extra hardware drain).

I think I understand some impatient people as the front page of PA does say Windows/Mac/Linux but lets give Uber the time needed to get it work. As long as it won't take 6 months to get alpha that is :D .

BTW I'm trying to get it work under WINE as I'm writing this. So far no luck.

Steps I used:

WINEPREFIX=/home/[REDACTED]/.wine64 WINEARCH=win64 wine winecfg
    (set Windows 7)

WINEPREFIX=/home/[REDACTED]/.wine64 WINEARCH=win64 winetricks mono210

WINEPREFIX=/home/[REDACTED]/.wine64 WINEARCH=win64 wine pasetup.exe
    (this creates the PA dir and PALauncher.exe + cache dir with one file in it)

WINEPREFIX=/home/[REDACTED]/.wine64 WINEARCH=win64 wine PALauncher.exe

This gets me to "A new version of the Launcher is available. Press OK to update, or Cancel to exit." I press OK and then it dies.

Uber, can you give us a hint if we should use mono or real M$ .NET BTW? Or perhaps a list of possible dependencies. That would be great :) .
  9. gabooo

gabooo Member

This. Linux users, now that they have steam, are so eager to get some good games to play.
  10. mcodl

mcodl Member

I think I have a workaround for the PALauncher under wine. Feel free to call be crazy though:

Attached Files:

11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Totally agree. But please be fair about Linux users, not everyone is like that. Normal people just waiting for builds and play in dual boot/wine.

Problem is that most of Linux users are internet audience which is more technician, but lot of them spend half of life on forums/irc/etc and that make them more aggressive. :|

PS: I really wonder what make people being so uncultured when they just waiting for keys. I happy that this "Where is MY KEY? When i get my key!?!?" is finished because it's make forums totally unreadable.
  12. laseek

laseek New Member

Cool - what did you do to get around the problems downloading the patcher?
  13. mcodl

mcodl Member

I used virtual Windows 7 64bit to download it. Then I moved it to my Linux host. The problem is that it doesn't want to let me past the login screen (see attachment).

I think it is because I used mono210. The problem is that dotnet20 will fail to install under a 64bit wine prefix. So if anyone has any ideas how to get past the login, that would be nice.

PS: also it appears to require d3dx9_43 which I also installed through winetricks.

Attached Files:

14. laseek

laseek New Member

heh - aye. I think it's still the ssl issue.
    Tail & paste the output from: Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/PALauncher/PALauncher.log
  15. TimNN

TimNN New Member

I currently have the same Problem as mcodl.
    I couldn't fix the ssl issue by using certmgr so I downloaded the updated PALauncher.exe manually.
    The last lines of the log file are:
    Code:
    Connecting to Ubernet....
    Failed to login.
    Edit: Ok. Now I feel dumb. I could not fix the ssl issue because I used the certmgr of my linux Distribution, not the one in $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/mono/mono-2.0/lib/mono/4.5/

Now the log shows the following:
    Code:
    Connecting to UberNet....
    Authenticated with UberNet.
        UberName: timnn
        UberId: ***
        Session Ticket: ***
    Failed to login.
    Edit2: The problem seems to be with wine:
    Code:
    libgluezilla not found. To have webbrowser support you need libgluezilla installed
  16. svip

svip Member

As a software developer myself, I understand that during the early phases of development, you develop primarily for one platform (in my hobby projects, it is Linux, while at work it is Windows (gonna make money somehow!)), then later make sure your software builds and works on other platforms.

It is unreasonable to expect at this stage to have software available for all three platforms (Windows, OS X and Linux), I think people are forgetting this is an alpha, this is not a release. You develop primarily on one platform, because what you want to test is the game, not too much time on OS-specific issues.

I am surprised that the Linux alpha is going to be available so soon (two weeks?!), considering the primary development platform is Windows. I am very impressed.

Windows remains the dominant gaming platform - one would be naïve to think otherwise - and thus games being primarily being for developed for that platform is to be expected.

As a Linux user myself, I am very pleased (and impressed) by the commitment to the Linux port by Uber.
  17. mcodl

mcodl Member

I'm afraid I disagree svip with developing on one platform and then porting later.

The main reason is framework selection. If you start with Windows only you'll omit the research and prototyping in order to verify that framework XYZ works as you want on all supported platforms.

I ran into this issue myself. Fortunately there was a quick alternative and only a minimal code change was required (like 100 lines of code) but that was very lucky as the frameworks were very similar.

If you want to be ahead you do the research and coding in parallel and that saves a lot of headache and porting issues.

But then again this is the same as iterative vs. waterfall and such. Every aproach has some pros and cons. IMO for smooth cross platform support parallel development and releases are a must (unless you just want to port it and ditch the support).
  18. shellacofna

shellacofna New Member

And I feel dumb for skipping certmgr in favour of:
    Code:
    mozroot --import --sync
    thus bringing a sledgehammer to a knife-fight :)

PALaucher.exe runs, updates itself ok. But I can't use any of the widgets of the app: Can't enter details, can't hit the login button... Any ideas?

My mono installation (under wine) came through winetricks, so it's in $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Mono-2.10.8 - how is your mono installed?
  19. mcodl

mcodl Member

Same as yours: $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Mono-2.10.8

BTW a good example of later support problems is the Unity engine. Games do run but try using mouse wheel once in game :D (and that's not by far the only issue).

EDIT: I'll try your aproach. In the meantime have you tried setting up wine for running in a fixed window? That sometimes solves input issues.
  20. laseek

laseek New Member

Snipped for brevity :)

Uber are using the Coherent framework - which is basically the CLR and supports OSx & Linux.
    There are API differences ofc - when it comes to things like games - there's a balance between perf and being transparently cross-platform. Performant rendering has been a tough nut to crack in the past - although things are changing rapidly with things like webGL and having (a more) direct access to the GPU.

PA isn't developing for Windows & porting to the other platforms later - they're developing for them all concurrently. The only difference at the moment is about allocating resources - understandably they're allocating their resources to solve one problem first - stability of the alpha - before going back and ensuring stability on the other platforms.

They have a lot of unknown variables to deal with - minimising them with the current state of the alpha - is just good management.