My System vs Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Support!' started by umbralreaver, June 8, 2013.

1. umbralreaver

umbralreaver New Member

Windows 7

AMD Phenom II x4
    Radeon 6850
    4 gb RAM

Should I have any trouble with this game? I know it's in alpha right now, so I shouldn't expect optimised performance. I'm wondering about what the end goal is like and whether I will need to upgrade.
  2. osirus9

osirus9 Member

I don't know about your system, but I have:

Windows 7 x64
    intel i7 - 2700K @ 3.5 GHz
    16gb ram
    nVidia 670GTX overclocked a bit

and the game runs flawlessly without hogging ram or cpu. Although I do experience seemingly random frame rate drops later in the game, but they're not accompanied by spikes in cpu usage.
  3. McCuddles

McCuddles New Member

Windows 7 64bit
    i7 3770k
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    16gb 1600Hz ram

and my frames sits at 30fps max, drops down to about 20 later when the game begins to lag horribly... i thought my computer would do better then 30fps.. figured it was a beast... oh well, anyone get any high frames then 30?
  4. deathjesteruk

deathjesteruk New Member

I have a very decent system and I was getting slow downs, stalls and temporary freezes, so, its not down to systems.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

WHY do you people have such GOOD SYSTEMS?! Did you buy a new tower JUST for PA?

I'm running at 5-10 FPS on an i5 Quad Core and a 9800 GTX+...
  6. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

8 gigs of ram
    Intel i7 quad core (920 @ 2.67 GHz)
    GTX 260

Running game at max settings with 15-20 frames, which is perfectly fine considering everything is Legos.
  7. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

i7-2600k @ 4.5GHz
    GTX 580 @ +10% over factory clocks
    24GB RAM

Getting 60fps at all times, but that's thanks to vsync being forced on by the client. I want to find a way to disable it and see how many frames I can get.
  8. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Why would you disable v-sync? Unless you have some wonky set up that defaults you to 37.5fps, then 60 fps is enough. Do you really want to sit through screen tearing just so you have some bigger numbers? Do you have a 120Hz monitor?
  9. snowwolf75

snowwolf75 New Member

Clearly my system isn't up to snuff, even for this game.
    AMD Sempron 2.3GHz
    Radeon HD 5570
    Win 7 x64 w/ 2GB Ram

My machine runs poor anyway, but ne'er thought of it until now. The ram might be a culprit, so I should look into uping it.
  10. vox1972

vox1972 New Member

I got a 3930K oc'd to 4.6 Ghz, Sapphire 7970 oc'd and 16Gb RAM and my frame rate sits between 10-60 fps. Has improved since last update - but at this stage of the Alpha it will tax your set up. :p
  11. aluminumhaste

aluminumhaste New Member

Apparently ATI users are getting bad performance. I mean I can run Crysis at 60 fps maxed.
    But on pa I get between 20 and 60. Painful.

I7 930 overclocked to 3.6 ghz
    AMD 7950 3gb overclocked to 1150 core 1500 memory.
    6gb ram in triple channel mode.
  12. vox1972

vox1972 New Member

yeah - noticed that! :? But ATI is better than Nvidia! :p
  13. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Especially for Laptops.

Laptop nVidia cards are currently almost unable to run PA at all.
  14. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

• Core i7 3930K on stock 3.8 Ghz - wonder how to overclock without getting it fried, cause since all PA client load goes to single thread, per core performance is the bottleneck.
    • HD 7970 x2 Crossfire, 1050 MHz core, 1425 Mhz memory - not helps in PA at all, first GPU at 25-40%, second idle.
    • 32 Gb RAM at XMP-1866, 933 MHz - probably helps, since PA client uses around 2 Gb, superfetched PA files let avoid HDD usage, and server probably going to require a lot more.
  15. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the AMD CPUs more than the video cards
    Mainly because the CPUs now handle the memory instead of the northbridge. Intel's memory controller is better than AMDs so its not surprising its having better memory usage and less stuttering.
  16. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

FX6300 (hex core) OC'd to 4.1ghz
    GTX 660 TI
    8gb vegence

Game runs very smooth. I get the occasional freeze towards end game but no dropped frames. The simulation seems to freeze.

I've probably just been lucky as I've seen plenty of other people having problems. For an Alpha, it's in fantastic shape!
  17. asgo

asgo Member

from my tests the lags or the lack of lags depends mostly on GPU performance and the number of units/buildings to draw.
    the cpu itself was never fully loaded and while the memory was a bit leaky (around 15 to 17 MB per minute) the fps dropped steadily while increasing unit count.
    - at the beginning around 50 to 60 fps with around 10 buildings and units
    - somewhere in between around 40 fps with ca. 150 units
    - in the end it wasn't much more than 10 fps after I built 1600 tanks (and thats was standing still)
    when starting to move the blob I was happy to have high decimal values behind the 1. ;)

that was using a Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 470

just to point out, it is useful to know what someone was actually doing in game in terms of complexity to get some reference for described performance issues.
  18. kingsmaug

kingsmaug Member

64-bit Windows 8
    Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Intel 4000 Integrated Graphics

In the menus, I have 300-400+ fps, while loading a game versus 3 AI it is 300+, until it begins to freeze, when it has 0-1.

When I get in game, the original view has approx 30 fps until I move, when it tanks to 10 or less.

When I zoom in, it has 45-50, but when moving it will often lag to below 10 and then jump right back up.
  19. Nelec

Nelec Member

For an unoptimized alpha, that is not bad at all. Especially for integrated graphics.
  20. kingsmaug

kingsmaug Member

Oh, yeah. I've had some alphas and betas that wouldn't let me load the launcher because I didn't have an "approved" graphics card. I'm happy it plays, and I can deal with low framerate, but I hope they fix the "waiting for other players to land" issue in the next patch.