Low FPS, Tips?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by AraxisHT, June 7, 2013.

1. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

I'm getting a solid 4 FPS on all graphics settings. Anyone have any tips to improve this?

DXDIAG
  2. theskylar

theskylar New Member

9600 is way to low to run the alpha, The full release might be able to handle small games with a planet or two but remember the alpha is super un-optimized. You definately will want to replace your video card if you are able to as even 100-200 dollar cards will blow your card away.

Otherwise the cpu might be a little slow for alpha but is not as big of a deal.

This is stricly from what I have seen playing it and watching other poeple play with with different machines. Also note a dev noted that the goal to have the game run great on a 460 (which is borderline enough right now according to my wifes computer) is leagues ahead of a 9600. Soo yeah.

Sorry bro
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah.. we listed the 9800 as the bottom that we expect to run at all well.. and the difference between the 9600 and the 9800 is pretty vast.
  4. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

Well crap. Believe it or not, this is the first time I've had this sort of issue (and I'm constantly playing betas). I haven't even had any trouble with recent AAA releases running at 30+ FPS after playing with some settings.

I have been meaning to upgrade for a while but things like rent and a totaled car keep getting in the way.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

In our case, it's because we're actually using a lot of newer rendering techniques that require newer cards. As I understand it, anyway. Pinbender will probably come in at some point and tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :)
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So specifically there seems to be a problem on this series (the 9600/9800) that makes the virtual texture feedback buffer be really slow. We just haven't hard a chance to track it down yet.
  7. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

I'm sure you know more than I do. Just act like you know the details and I'll believe you.

Honestly, I'd rather you guys make the game good than cater to my old hardware if it comes to that.
  8. TotallyBananass

TotallyBananass New Member

i am experiencing similar slow performance, am i below spec?

Attached Files:

9. neutrino

Just had a quick discussion shouldn't be an issue.

- update drivers?
    - play around with video settings
    - hit "P" to see what the framerate is
  10. asgo

asgo Member

On the topic of the stat screen, one suggestion from my side would be to print the values only every x-th second (or increase the interval length if already done so) or average the values between print intervals to enhance readability.
    Currently the framerate and some other values change so fast that they blend into each other. Also due to non fixed length numbers the window jumps around a bit.

just cosmetics stuff, but during testing this window might be more open than closed. :)
    while on the "nice to have" level, an optional over time logging of those values might become handy in measuring the correlation between game state (unit/building numbers) and fps etc.
  11. genouious

genouious Member

Does that mean frame-rate could improve significantly in a later update, as well as the full release of course?

EDIT: I don't expect the final game to run perfectly for me ofcourse, I have a six year old dell xps 420, with a few upgrades.
  12. alrich6

alrich6 New Member

I'm actually having this same issue (also on all graphics settings). The last game I played was going at 1-2fps for a good 15 minutes no matter what I did (was worse when zoomed out). This was at about 20 minutes into the game, as it got progressively worse. It looked like it was definitely struggling to load the textures.

However...

I'm running a gtx 570 with latest drivers and an i7 3820 @3.6Ghz. Not a rig you would expect to be stuttering that badly.
  13. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

The latest patch 49167 had some performance hits for me. Was getting around 60fps but now it's dropped to around 20fps. Running an i7 3770k with GTX690 @ 2560x1440 if that helps anyone?

To be honest it's not REALLY an issue at this point in the alpha I don't think. Don't know if the Uber chaps are even looking at performance tweaks yet. I'm just happy to be playing the game :D

I'll certainly update if the performance improves for me though.

Great job to the whole Uber team!

Cheers,

-Todd
  14. Ertwyu

Ertwyu New Member

On a 9800 GTX+ I get 6 FPS. Not much better. Looks like I'll have to invest in a new card ASAP.
  15. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I have pretty significant framerate drops when rotating the planet or zooming in/out. I assume this would be normal behavior being an unoptimized alpha, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as other people judging from streams/videos. I'm running an i5 3570k, a GTX 470 with latest drivers, and 8gb of ram. It dips from a pretty solid 60fps to less than 10 when rotating or zooming out. Running on all low btw.

Is this just due to little-to-no optimization or could there be a problem with my setup?

I did notice it got SIGNIFICANTLY better when I ran the game in the default windowed mode instead of expanding it to fullscreen. The lag seems to come from texture streaming if that helps.

EDIT: Just realized I'm not on the LATEST drivers, a few versions back. Will update and see if it makes any difference.
    Last edited: June 8, 2013
  16. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

Yup, same experience. I'm updating the drivers based on previous advice, but yeah, I'm going to need some beefier hardware.
  17. neutrino

As I said above we have an issue specific to the 9800s. I don't see why we can't get them better (although they will never be stellar being real real old).
  18. neutrino

As I said above we have an issue specific to the 9800s. I don't see why we can't get them better (although they will never be stellar being real real old).
  19. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Neutrino! Stop double posting! Anyways, it seems my "underpowered" 4gb of RAM and an i5 2400 with a 7850 seems to be outperforming everyone else's systems. *WIN*
    Phones and tablets tend to do the double posting thing, COME ON, RESPOND, RESPOND! Double post :|
    Last edited: June 8, 2013
  20. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

im just playing on mac mini (bootcamp) with i5 and radeon GPU, win 8. I have 20-30fps :O its playable!